Thread: Help Installing Orange Dongle (USB-Modeswitch?) Offline

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Help Installing Orange Dongle (USB-Modeswitch?) Offline

Hi,

My gfriend, who using 10.10 on her Netbook,has just returned to the UK and cannot get her Orange dongle working. I suspect it might have something to do with usb-modeswitch, but I could be wrong.

Fortunately she can dual-boot so she is able to get her dongle working on Windows XP and can get online to download packages, but we're both new(ish) to Linux. She can do stuff under my instruction but I am not proficient enough to know how to install debs and other things.

I tried reading this page but the install instructions are confusing. It says "Now do the same for the data package". Now do the same what, though? I can get my gfriend to extract the tar file to her downloads folder follow the bit that says 'make install' but what then?

Is there a simpler way of getting her dongle driver installed offline?
    **** www.followtheboat.com ****
    Tales (not just) from the high seas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Help Installing Orange Dongle (USB-Modeswitch?) Offline

Haha. No sooner did I post that did I get an email from said gfriend saying she has managed to get it connected! I've no idea what she did. Perhaps a moderator could delete this thread, or maybe keep it up to demonstrate how clever my gfriend is
    **** www.followtheboat.com ****
    Tales (not just) from the high seas