Thread: No video during Grub boot menu using KVM

Beans

No video during Grub boot menu using KVM

I am using a Belkin Switch2 KVM (F1DF102Uea) to connect two PCs:

1. Dell Dimension 9150 (Intel P4), dual-boot using (A) Windows XP Pro/ 750GB disk and (B) Ubuntu 10.01 32bit on a seperate 160GB disk. This machine is connected to the KVM using the longest KVM cable (Green). This is my main machine which I use with Windows and works perfectly through the KVM.

2. HP-Compaq DX2250 (AMD64*2), dual-boot using (A) Ubuntu Linux 64bit/ 1TB disk and (B) Windows XP on a seperate 160GB disk. This machine is connected to the KVM using the shorter cable (Yellow). This is a new machine (new to me - ex company machine via ebay) which came with windows XP on the 160GB disk. I bought a 1TB disk and installed Ubuntu 11.04 64 bit.

There is no video displayed during the Grub boot menu phase from the DX2250 and the monitor displays ' Analogue input, Cannot display this video mode'. Video is OK (later) from the Ubuntu OS. The Grub boot menu displays OK if the monitor is connected directly to the PC.

I have sent a question to Belkin support on this but wondered if anyone on this forum has come across this problem and can offer a simple fix. Thanks.

Beans

Re: No video during Grub boot menu using KVM

These switches are absolutely horrid
    don't use them if you can help it

To properly detect a connected monitor and set the right resolution & refresh rate, there's a 2-way communication between machine and monitor
    The machine asks the monitor what settings it supports, and the monitor responds

These switches that allow a monitor to be shared between multiple machines don't allow for this 2-way communication to happen, so the machine has no idea what settings the monitor supports
    Code:
    while [ true ]; do CY=$(date +%y); CM=$(date +%m); if [ -n "$PY" ] && [ -n "$PM" ]; then echo "Ubuntu ${CY}.${CM} is the worst release ever"; echo "I'm going back to ${PY}.${PM}"; fi; PY="$CY"; PM="$CM"; sleep 182d; done