Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote /home possible, feasable?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Remote /home possible, feasable?

Hay all,

Not sure where this should be posted so I am trying here.

Right so my question is:
    Is it possible to have a remote /home partition, or user home folder? If so, what would the preferred method be? sftp jumps to mind.

The idea is, I want to install another ubuntu on a machine in a studio at my house, which joins to the main LAN (wired) of the house, but have a duplicate account as on my current main PC. Thus, I figured I could just mount my local /home (or /home/user) on the remote system and work as if infront of the main computer and only needing a minimal partition (say 4 - 8 GB) just to house the main install and main applications.

It this at all possible?

Thanks
    Switched away from windows XP to Ubuntu 9.04. Never turned around to look back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Remote /home possible, feasable?

Generally remote home directory only work well when all client machines have identical hardware and software as all user settings will carry over which can cause issues with differencing screen resolutions, etc. Also it's important that local home directories exist that the remote share is mounted over otherwise it will be impossible to log in if there's a network issue. Finally on a private network NFS is a lot simpler to use than SFTP.

Beans

Sure.

You can use an NFS share and boot the whole machine off of it if you want.

Technically all you need as an X server on your workstation (this would be like Remote Desktop in Windows), you can have a remote login session that exists on one machine from many terminals, or you can have a shared home for many computers, you have to decide exactly what you want though and how much sharing you want.

This is a can of worms. It sounds super simple at first, but the decision points are critical. It starts with your expectations, and then you have to follow the line of logic that makes those expectations most feasible.

Not sure a good place to start on this, but you might try here: https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/servergu...le-system.html

You might also want to look at NAS (maybe FreeNAS, which is a FreeBSD implementation that seems pretty good) and keep that in mind when you read up.

Beans

Another thing I've heard of in conjunction with this is that people will carry a USB stick in their pocket, and stick it into whatever workstation they're sitting on. That allows individual settings on each workstation (say one is dual huge monitors and lots of goodies, another is just a minimal workstation, and a third is a Windows box) and still have common file space.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zero2xiii View Post

Right so my question is:
    Is it possible to have a remote /home partition, or user home folder? If so, what would the preferred method be? sftp jumps to mind.
    Yes, apparently that's possible: that's how it worked on the SUN stations I logged on to in ... 1990. Different workstations each with SUN OS, and your home directory was just there. I believe that worked over NFS

Beans

The native network file system for UN*X is NFS. You could also do it easily enough with CIFS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 1clue View Post
    The native network file system for UN*X is NFS. You could also do it easily enough with CIFS.
    Just being picky here

Neither NFS or SMB (CIFS) are native to UNIX. SUN developed NFS and DEC/Microsoft developed SMB. Both are userland vfs.
    -BAB1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bab1 View Post
    Just being picky here

Neither NFS or SMB (CIFS) are native to UNIX. SUN developed NFS and DEC/Microsoft developed SMB. Both are userland vfs.
    Yes, I believe NFS first debuted for the public on Solaris (which is a licensed UNIX) and was fairly quickly adopted elsewhere. That's off the top of my head and so may be wrong, but my memory usually doesn't fail me very much.

Nonetheless, NFS is the default networked file sharing protocol on most UN*X systems today, which doesn't mean it always has been but only what is today. Even systems which have some other as the default will have solid support for NFS in any case I know of except maybe Android. It's probably there too, at least as a client.

CIFS was mentioned because there's good Linux support for it, and because it's supported on virtually every computing platform currently in use, and because I like it.

Yes, Microsoft can come out with something good every now and then. Another goodie is ODBC 2.0. 1.0 came from elsewhere, but Microsoft came out with the 2.0 spec and it was what the 1.0 would have been had the other guys been thinking about it. And this paragraph is entirely off topic.

Anyway back to the point, CIFS and NFS both have solid support on every serious computing OS, unless maybe Android but I don't know there.

Beans
    Distro

Hay all,

Thanks for all the replies! Appreciate them all.

So the only "issue" I see is the sharing of the configuration files that might cause issues across different hardware (which in this case is a definite) so I guess I will only be mounting the data directories, or mount the entire /home partition of the remote computer as a sub directory eg /home/remote_home so I still have access to all the data but not using it as the actual home directory.

Thanks again for all the input
    Switched away from windows XP to Ubuntu 9.04. Never turned around to look back.

Beans

You might consider a central authentication scheme too, at least read about it. Maybe read here a bit: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNISHowTo

I actually had to look for that, if you google anything reasonable it seems like most people are using Windows-based authentication.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast