Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Natty Narwhal on Lenovo ThinkPad X220T

Beans

Re: Natty Narwhal on Lenovo ThinkPad X220T

Me again...
    I just reduced some problems I had with the fan. It was constantly running full speed and pitching to even higher speed every 6 seconds...
    Seems to be a common problem:
    http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series...425965/page/60

A workaround was found here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1750934.html

But this only reduces fan-speed. The pitch every 6 seconds is still there, just not as audible.
    I hope Lenovo will be able to fix this issue, because it is really anoying.

Another issue remaining is that my wlan keeps on droping. It seems to be a Natty bug.
    Switching of Power Management as suggested elsewhere did not help.
    Will maybe try to compile new drivers as suggested here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1753298

Happy about any input.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by karlkoch23 View Post
    Loving it...I just got a 240GB SSD thist weekend which will replace the normal 5400rpm hard drive. I installed Natty and had no major problems....only, my touchpad isn't working...it actually also did not work with windows. Both touchpad and trackpoint are enabled in bios. No combination of enabling or disabling worked. Could therefore any of you guys give me your devices output? Below is mine....
    <scooby>Ruhroh, Raggy...</scooby> I don't see your Synaptics Touchpad in your list. Are you sure its enabled in the bios? If so then it's probably disconnected inside the case.

Code:
    I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0005 Version=0000
    N: Name="Lid Switch"
    P: Phys=PNP0C0D/button/input0
    S: Sysfs=/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0C0D:00/input/input0
    U: Uniq=
    H: Handlers=event0 
    B: PROP=0
    B: EV=21
    B: SW=1

I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0003 Version=0000
    N: Name="Sleep Button"
    P: Phys=PNP0C0E/button/input0
    S: Sysfs=/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0C0E:00/input/input1
    H: Handlers=kbd event1 
    B: EV=3
    B: KEY=4000 0 0

I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0001 Version=0000
    N: Name="Power Button"
    P: Phys=LNXPWRBN/button/input0
    S: Sysfs=/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXPWRBN:00/input/input2
    H: Handlers=kbd event2 
    B: KEY=10000000000000 0

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0001 Product=0001 Version=ab54
    N: Name="AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
    P: Phys=isa0060/serio0/input0
    S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input3
    H: Handlers=sysrq kbd event3 
    B: EV=120013
    B: KEY=402000000 3803078f800d001 feffffdfffefffff fffffffffffffffe
    B: MSC=10
    B: LED=7

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=056a Product=00e6 Version=0139
    N: Name="ISD-V4 Pen"
    P: Phys=
    S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1.5/2-1.5:1.0/input/input4
    H: Handlers=mouse0 event4 
    B: EV=b
    B: KEY=1c03 0 0 0 0 0
    B: ABS=10001000003

I: Bus=0019 Vendor=17aa Product=5054 Version=4101
    N: Name="ThinkPad Extra Buttons"
    P: Phys=thinkpad_acpi/input0
    S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi/input/input5
    H: Handlers=rfkill kbd event5 
    B: EV=33
    B: KEY=18040000 0 10000000000000 0 1501b00102004 8000000001104000 e000000000000 0
    B: MSC=10
    B: SW=a

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=056a Product=00e6 Version=0139
    N: Name="ISD-V4 Finger"
    P: Phys=
    S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1.5/2-1.5:1.1/input/input6
    H: Handlers=mouse1 event6 
    B: EV=1b
    B: KEY=6400 0 0 0 0 0
    B: ABS=10001000003
    B: MSC=1

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=04f2 Product=b217 Version=0854
    N: Name="Integrated Camera"
    P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1a.0-1.6/button
    S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.6/1-1.6:1.0/input/input7
    H: Handlers=kbd event7 
    B: KEY=100000 0 0 0

I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0006 Version=0000
    N: Name="Video Bus"
    P: Phys=LNXVIDEO/video/input0
    S: Sysfs=/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0A08:00/LNXVIDEO:00/input/input8
    H: Handlers=kbd event8 
    B: KEY=3e000b00000000 0 0 0

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0007 Version=01b1
    N: Name="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
    P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
    S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input9
    H: Handlers=mouse2 event9 
    B: PROP=5
    B: EV=b
    B: KEY=6420 10000 0 0 0 0
    B: ABS=11000003

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=000a Version=0000
    N: Name="TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint"
    P: Phys=synaptics-pt/serio0/input0
    S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2/input/input10
    H: Handlers=mouse3 event10 
    B: EV=7
    B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0
    B: REL=3
    Was anyone able to configure your buttons on the tablet screen?
    I haven't yet; it should work in some future kernel. I think there is probably a way to map the events but I just haven't spent much time. If you figure it out, please post it here. The thing is that there *are* mappings for other Thinkpad lid buttons in the kernel, but they are not getting used by the X220. Some ID must not be right. I dunno.

This is also a bizarre thought, but I wonder if the fingerprint reader couldn't be abused to serve as a pageup/pagedn sensor. Likewise, I may see if I can re-purpose the lid power button at some point... I think it would be more useful for some other purpose.

Anyhoo... good luck!

Beans
    Distro

xrotate

In magick-rotation there is a script called xrotate.py, which basically does what the rotation button on the tablet does in windows (it can also switch to a specific rotation using parameters). You can bind it to a launcher on your panel, and have a nice substitute for the tablet button (it would be better of course if someone finds how to bind it to the button!)

Here's the rub: to get it working on the x220t you need to edit the file (xrotate.py) and replace all LVDS with LVDS1 (or better, replace ["LVDS", "DFP"] with ["LVDS", "LVDS1", "DFP"] to keep compatibility with other machines).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by parzan View Post
    xrotate

In magick-rotation there is a script called xrotate.py, which basically does what the rotation button on the tablet does in windows (it can also switch to a specific rotation using parameters). You can bind it to a launcher on your panel, and have a nice substitute for the tablet button (it would be better of course if someone finds how to bind it to the button!)

Here's the rub: to get it working on the x220t you need to edit the file (xrotate.py) and replace all LVDS with LVDS1 (or better, replace ["LVDS", "DFP"] with ["LVDS", "LVDS1", "DFP"] to keep compatibility with other machines).
    Nice! Thanks.

Beans

Will try the magick-rotation trick and set a launcher for nowe...thx.
    I just wanted to look into remaping the buttons...I am no expert by any means
    First thing was trying to see the keycode by using

Code:
    xev
    But this showed no signal at all for any of the tablet-buttons....so I think pushing the button is currently not even recognized....
    Any ideas?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by unclepedro View Post
    So, while I will eventually write up a tutorial for here and elsewhere, here are the basic steps to getting Natty working on the X220T:

1. Install Natty! You'll want to download the amd64 Desktop installer and put it on a USB stick using unetbootin. I had to use the F12 boot menu to select the USB stick. However, the installer resized my Windows 7 partition perfectly well and Windows still works (following the requisite chkdsk). [If you plan to use VM software like VirtualBox, you will want to enable the CPU extensions in the BIOS.]

2. Download the newest source for xf86-input-wacom-0.11.x and extract it. You can find it by following the instructions in section II.b, at the link below. HOWEVER, before building and installing, you need to (as of 0.11.1 -- 6/21/2011) update a configuration file in the sourcecode.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1515562.

In the source tree, find the file
    Code:
    .../conf/50-wacom.conf
    and change the line:

Code:
           MatchProduct "Wacom|WACOM|Hanwang"
    ... to read:

Code:
            MatchProduct "Wacom|WACOM|ISD-V4|Hanwang"
    Then, continue the instructions in Favux' HOWTO for compilation and installation. You should not need to modify any other configuration files. (And I'm sure that this will be fixed in the near future.)

3. There is currently a bug in Unity (again, 6/21/2011) that causes screen display rotation issues. However, if you install the natty-proposed updates to Unity, this is fixed. You can see how to do that by following the directions here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed Obviously, this could cause some other unanticipated problems for you, but that's just the cost of being such a pioneer. (I only installed the proposed Unity updates.)
    Firstly, thanks so much for this--it couldn't be more timely for me. I just received my 220t a few days ago, and fortunately, you have saved me a lot of work...I still have a few issues though, even though I swear I have followed your instructions explicitly.
    1) My stylus pen and touch were both working (albeit inaccurately as you described--previous to the wacom.conf updates. Once I added the ISD-V4 line and recompiled, although my touch works alright (even with multitouch), my stylus pen has stopped working completely.
    What have I missed? Is it possible that there was another mod that you forgot to document?
    2) I tried to update unity through the proposed repository, but there was no package unity found inside of the proposed reposiitory (yes, I added it to my sources). thoughts?
    3) WRT the fingerprint scanner, when I rebooted after install, and logged-in via fingerprint, I received a pop-up from Natty saying that my gnome-keyring was not unlocked via log-in...and then when I tried to use my password, it would still not authenticate...any ideas?

Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro

rotation and subpixel smoothing

If in nonstandard orientations the display seems less crisp, it probably means ubuntu is relying on the subpixel order of colors (red-green-blue) for font rendering (check System -> Preference -> Appearance -> Fonts -> Details).
    To set the correct order each time you can make a script:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

orientation=$(xrandr -q --verbose  | grep connected|grep -v disconnected | awk '{print $5}')
    case $orientation in
        normal) subpixel=rgb ;;
        left) subpixel=vrgb ;;
        inverted) subpixel=bgr ;;
        right) subpixel=vbgr ;;
        *) notify-send "could not determine orientation for antialiasing" ;;
    esac
    gconftool-2 --type string --set /desktop/gnome/font_rendering/rgba_order $subpixel &
    # notify-send "subpixel order set to $subpixel"
    save it (say, as "after_rotation.sh") and place it in magick-rotation setup, both in "Run after switch to tablet" and in "Run after switch to normal". When magick-rotation is running it calls these scripts both after manual rotation (via xrotate.py) and after automatic rotation.
    If you are not sure if it is running uncomment the last line in the script to get a message each time it is called (or open System -> Preference -> Appearance -> Fonts -> Details and see whether the subpixel order changes).
    I'll be happy to get any tips - I am a novice scripter.
    Last edited by parzan; July 29th, 2011 at 05:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Nice script but does this really make things clearer? I would like opinions.

It seemed like this was an issue with older releases but not so much anymore. Of course I have an older tablet PC and it may just be my display isn't good enough for me to notice the issue.

Typo, should read:
    Code:
        normal) subpixel=rgb ;;

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the correction, Favux. I edited my post so people do not suffer from my typo.
    As to the effect - I see it most clearly in terminals (white font against this eggplant hue ubuntu is so fond of).

Beans

I just got my X220T a few days ago, and I've spent this week trying to get Linux up and running. I started with openSUSE (my preferred distro), followed by Fedora, followed by Kubuntu, since this is where I get the tablet functionality.

On a fresh install of Kubuntu 11.04 64bit, the tablet works out of the box, but the touch does not (as has been stated before). So, I've done what this post suggests and installed the most recent version of xf86-input-wacom, which is still 0.11.1. On a fresh install of this, I lose the tablet, multitouch works better but not correctly and I need to figure out why it's not working and how to fix it. I've attached my xinput --list output and will provide anything else that people recommend.

Code:
    wcunning@dahak:~$ xinput --list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                          id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ ISD-V4 Pen eraser                         id=10   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ ISD-V4 Pen cursor                         id=11   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ ISD-V4 Pen touch                          id=12   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ ISD-V4 Pen pad                            id=13   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ ISD-V4 Pen stylus                         id=14   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ ISD-V4 Finger eraser                      id=15   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ ISD-V4 Finger cursor                      id=16   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ ISD-V4 Finger touch                       id=17   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ ISD-V4 Finger pad                         id=18   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ ISD-V4 Finger stylus                      id=19   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad                id=21   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint                     id=23   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                         id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard               id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                              id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Video Bus                                 id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Sleep Button                              id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Integrated Camera                         id=9    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard              id=20   [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ ThinkPad Extra Buttons                    id=22   [slave  keyboard (3)]

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast