Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Natty Narwhal on Lenovo ThinkPad X220T

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Natty Narwhal on Lenovo ThinkPad X220T

This bug may be relevant:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...el/+bug/793764

Although it seems odd to me that the xserver can display information there perfectly well, but the interface is not utilizing it properly. Could it be a higher level issue, like Unity?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sure. When you boot into 11.04 on the log in screen at the bottom is an option to start classic. Try that and see if it rotates right with classic instead of Unity.

Beans
    Distro

Ah, thank you -- that's it. It works perfectly well in classic mode, so it's probably a Unity bug, not an Intel graphics bug.

Beans
    Distro

Outstanding!

So you need to post a Launchpad bug report against Unity and also mention on the bug report you joined that it is Unity. If they feel the new one is a duplicate they'll let you know.

Not being an Intel video bug saves you from a whole lot of potential hassle, so that is very good.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Outstanding!

So you need to post a Launchpad bug report against Unity and also mention on the bug report you joined that it is Unity. If they feel the new one is a duplicate they'll let you know.

Not being an Intel video bug saves you from a whole lot of potential hassle, so that is very good.
    Yes indeed. Here's the bug -- it was already known for users who wanted two monitors, one rotated and the other not:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/773487

I installed Unity from natty-proposed and that fixed my issue. I responded to that thread, and to the Toshiba portege M400 users (bug linked above) who were having similar issues.

So for now, I think everything actually works... now to figure out how to tweak it the way I like it If things remain stable, I'll write up a condensed version of this exchange and we can post it around.

Thanks again for all your help!

Beans
    Distro

Hi again unclepedro,

Could you please post the output of lsusb in a terminal? I want to see if the Wacom Vendor ID is used along with the 0x0E6 Product ID or if it is a Lenovo Vendor ID. Thank you.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi again unclepedro,

Could you please post the output of lsusb in a terminal? I want to see if the Wacom Vendor ID is used along with the 0x0E6 Product ID or if it is a Lenovo Vendor ID. Thank you.
    [pedro@roboto:~]$ lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 056a:00e6 Wacom Co., Ltd
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04f2:b217 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 147e:2016 Upek Biometric Touchchip/Touchstrip Fingerprint Sensor
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    [pedro@roboto:~]$

I've posted this to the linuxwacom-devel list as well.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro

So, while I will eventually write up a tutorial for here and elsewhere, here are the basic steps to getting Natty working on the X220T:

1. Install Natty! You'll want to download the amd64 Desktop installer and put it on a USB stick using unetbootin. I had to use the F12 boot menu to select the USB stick. However, the installer resized my Windows 7 partition perfectly well and Windows still works (following the requisite chkdsk). [If you plan to use VM software like VirtualBox, you will want to enable the CPU extensions in the BIOS.]

2. Download the newest source for xf86-input-wacom-0.11.x and extract it. You can find it by following the instructions in section II.b, at the link below. HOWEVER, before building and installing, you need to (as of 0.11.1 -- 6/21/2011) update a configuration file in the sourcecode.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1515562.

In the source tree, find the file
    Code:
    .../conf/50-wacom.conf
    and change the line:

Code:
           MatchProduct "Wacom|WACOM|Hanwang"
    ... to read:

Code:
            MatchProduct "Wacom|WACOM|ISD-V4|Hanwang"
    Then, continue the instructions in Favux' HOWTO for compilation and installation. You should not need to modify any other configuration files. (And I'm sure that this will be fixed in the near future.)

3. There is currently a bug in Unity (again, 6/21/2011) that causes screen display rotation issues. However, if you install the natty-proposed updates to Unity, this is fixed. You can see how to do that by following the directions here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed Obviously, this could cause some other unanticipated problems for you, but that's just the cost of being such a pioneer. (I only installed the proposed Unity updates.)

4. Install Magick-Rotation, which senses state change in the LCD hinge and automatically rotates the screen. I set it to rotate to the left (instead of the right) so that the rubberized battery "handle" is on the left side, so that I can use it as a grip while writing. (But I'm a righty, so YMMV.) Make sure you follow the directions, as you'll need to confirm to magick-rotation that you want it to load automatically in the future.

OPTIONAL: Install fingerprint scanner support (requires proprietary library from UPEK)

There is a PPA for fingerprint-gui, a fingerprint scanner supporting the UPEK print scanner in the X220T, available here:

https://launchpad.net/~fingerprint/+...ingerprint-gui

Follow the instructions for installation there. I don't recommend installing from source on 11.04, due to some library issues. Also, there is a bug which throws an error when using sudo in the terminal. It does not seem to cause any real issues though, and will be fixed in the future.

Once these things are installed, your tablet will be working pretty much just as you would expect, including multitouch, pen, (even optional fingerprint scanning!) etc. Pressure sensitivity even works in Gimp (although you have to enable pen input in the Preferences), and I had a relaxing time this morning playing Mahjongg using my fingers. Imagine that.

Two pen input tools I have installed but haven't played with much is gok, the GNOME Onscreen Keyboard, and CellWriter, which is a handwriting recognition/onscreen keyboard tool. So far, I'd recommend CellWriter, but I haven't trained the handwriting tool enough to know how I like it yet.

I'm also planning to do a roundup of note taking tools such as Jarnal, Gournal, Xournal, and NoteLab. Only Xournal is in Ubuntu; Jarnal and NoteLab require Java, and Gournal requires some Perl libraries that are not available in Natty (but you can install manually with a little futzing). So far, Jarnal seems to be the most mature, and it works following installation of the Sun^H^H Oracle JVM (and may work with other JVMs).

Thanks again to Favux and everyone contributing their valuable time and energy to making these deices work -- not to mention answering questions. It's pretty unbelievable that I can put Linux on a brand-new convertible tablet and literally within a week, everything I care about working seems to be working. Kudos!
    Last edited by unclepedro; June 22nd, 2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: updated for fingerprint scanning

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the excellent work!
    I am getting a X220t soon, and this thread will be of great value.
    Please continue to update on your finds and tweaks!

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast