Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Natty Narwhal on Lenovo ThinkPad X220T

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Natty Narwhal on Lenovo ThinkPad X220T

unclepedro and Favux,

Many thanks for all this. I've been using an X40t for years now but am ready to upgrade. When I get the new machine I will use your instructions and send you feedback.

Beans
    Distro

This thread's a keeper!!

Thanks guys for all this wonderful and exact information on getting the X220T Ubuntufied! I'm currently looking for a replacement for my T61, and preferably something closer to my old and oh-so-lovely X30, which was small, light and silent. This tablet thing sounds interesting, but only if it works. Thanks to this thread I'm now this > < close to buying a X220T! =)

I have a few specific questions, some about the very hardware, so this is to Uncle Pedro I guess:

1. Rotation: I didn't understand the part where you said the screen didn't have rotation accelerometers ... only hinges. Two question: Could you please elaborate on that? And: Does this mean, that Ubuntu does not rotate the screen graphics, when you physically rotate the machine, e.g. from landscape to portrait?
    2. Screen Rotation Buttons: You mentioned the screen rotation button doesn't work. It should force the screen to rotate, right? Have you made it work in the mean time? Can you pick up events from this button? Maybe a simple hack could make it work. I hate dead keys =)
    3. Web Camera: Does it work? How have you tested it? Does it work in Skype?
    4. Eraser: What's this? Literally using the other end of the stylus on the screen? What is it used for? =)
    5. WWAN: Did you machine come with 3G or WiMax or any other WWAN device? And if so, does it work?
    6. Screen: Did you pick the old-school non-glossy anti-reflective coating? (I've heard Lenovo ship them with Mac-like coating too). Are you satisfied with the viewing angles? My old X30 and even the T61 are quite bad for editing photos. I plan on getting an "external monitor" as well, but still it would be neat, if the laptop could do the job.
    7. Screen Hinge: Does it seem robust enough? Does it wobble a lot so you have to re-adjust it, if you sit with the machine on your lap and move? The the machine sturdy enough built, or do you think the screen will break off any day soon? =)
    8. Noise and Heat: Of course, I don't know how sensitive you are to this, but I personally can't stand the sound of a fan =).
    9. Card Reader: Any news? It does read SD cards, right?
    10. Calibration: Can Linux calibrate the stylus input? Have you tried it? Or found it necessary?

Sorry if some are a tad off-topic, but I'm really excited about all the new goodies in this thread! =)
    Last edited by Zta; July 10th, 2011 at 12:32 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by unclepedro View Post
    Hi, you know, I was just reading about that stuff the other day. I seem to have pinch zooming in Firefox, Evince, and Nautilus, but it is somewhat hard to use -- I find it easier to use two hands, one finger stationary, and the other moving... not the most user friendly.

But I haven't specifically messed around with utouch or any other touch related tools. I'm definitely planning to but haven't had time. It'd be great if you would report any experiences you have, here, and we'll go from there.
    I'm in the same boat as Picklehead here, nothing multi touch besides a little pinch zooming and the right click (two finger second finger double tap). Would love to get the gestures to work!

On the bright side though single touch accuracy is imo much better than Windows, not as many missed clicks. Thanks you guys for getting it this far though, big improvement over plain install.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention there's also two finger scroll that works on firefox,nautilus,libreoffice etc. but it is even buggier than the pinch zoom T_T
    Last edited by contactez; July 14th, 2011 at 02:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Zta View Post
    This thread's a keeper!!

Thanks guys for all this wonderful and exact information on getting the X220T Ubuntufied! I'm currently looking for a replacement for my T61, and preferably something closer to my old and oh-so-lovely X30, which was small, light and silent. This tablet thing sounds interesting, but only if it works. Thanks to this thread I'm now this > < close to buying a X220T! =)

I have a few specific questions, some about the very hardware, so this is to Uncle Pedro I guess:
    Whoops, sorry on the delay. I forgot I had to check back in to get new updates.

Rotation: I didn't understand the part where you said the screen didn't have rotation accelerometers ... only hinges. Two question: Could you please elaborate on that? And: Does this mean, that Ubuntu does not rotate the screen graphics, when you physically rotate the machine, e.g. from landscape to portrait?
    What I mean is that the hinge and lid has sensors to indicate the state. So if you use Magick-Rotation (as specified in this thread), it will rotate for you when you change the screen. However, it does not orient the picture based on the relationship between the screen and the ground (like a digicam or iphone with rotation sensor [an accelerometer]).

Screen Rotation Buttons: You mentioned the screen rotation button doesn't work. It should force the screen to rotate, right? Have you made it work in the mean time? Can you pick up events from this button? Maybe a simple hack could make it work. I hate dead keys =)
    A fix for this is in the works, but does not appear to be in Natty Proposed as of yet. I'm sure it will be, because you can get events from the keys.

Web Camera: Does it work? How have you tested it? Does it work in Skype?
    It works in Cheese with no problem; I did not test it with Skype but I expect it will work.

Eraser: What's this? Literally using the other end of the stylus on the screen? What is it used for? =)
    The other end of the stylus has a big red button; the screen can identify which tip you're using, so programs like Gimp can set different tools to each end. It's pretty handy, but it's not exactly clear to me how it all works. Jarnal (the notetaking app I have been using) does not currently support it, but eventually I'll probably try hacking it in.

WWAN: Did you machine come with 3G or WiMax or any other WWAN device? And if so, does it work?
    I did not purchase it with those options so I can't answer this question.

Screen: Did you pick the old-school non-glossy anti-reflective coating? (I've heard Lenovo ship them with Mac-like coating too). Are you satisfied with the viewing angles? My old X30 and even the T61 are quite bad for editing photos. I plan on getting an "external monitor" as well, but still it would be neat, if the laptop could do the job.
    Good question. I got the non-glossy, matte screen. The x220t comes in matte, with multitouch, and gorilla glass, which is PEN ONLY, repeat PEN ONLY. The gorilla glass is advertised as "outdoor visible," although in my experience, the matte screen is pretty well visible outdoors with the brightness turned up. I probably wasn't sitting in direct, high-noon sunlight, but are you really going to take your X220t to the beach? In my estimation, the screen is MUCH brighter than my old T43, which basically unusable outside.

Screen Hinge: Does it seem robust enough? Does it wobble a lot so you have to re-adjust it, if you sit with the machine on your lap and move? The the machine sturdy enough built, or do you think the screen will break off any day soon? =)
    I have not had a tablet before, but it really does seem like a pretty solid piece of equipment and I like the magnetic latch better than the old tab designs I've seen on older ones.

Noise and Heat: Of course, I don't know how sensitive you are to this, but I personally can't stand the sound of a fan =).
    Well, it's much quieter than my T43. The fan seems to blow pretty steadily, but it seems like this may be an IBM ACPI issue. Not sure. It's not the quietest machine, but I'm pretty happy with it on that point.

Card Reader: Any news? It does read SD cards, right?
    Integrated Ricoh cardreader. Apparently the fix is in, but not yet to natty.

Calibration: Can Linux calibrate the stylus input? Have you tried it? Or found it necessary?
    This is actually one of my proto-gripes so far. Sometimes the pen accuracy near the edge of the screen is goofy, like it hovers inside about a cm until you put the pen down, when it jumps to the edge. I'm not sure if this is a calibration issue, a driver issue, or a hardware issue. Eventually I'll look into it, but it really only comes up when you are writing right up to the edge of the screen. I've seen some mention of this online, too, but I'm not sure what the fix is/isn't.

Sorry if some are a tad off-topic, but I'm really excited about all the new goodies in this thread! =)
    No, those are all really good questions, and now that I've used the machine for a while I feel like I can answer them.

A couple other things. The keyboard is great; and it has an extra large delete key, which at first I thought was annoying, but I now like. The "click pad" behavior is a little odd (e.g., right click does not work by default), but it's possible that this is a configuration issue.

It includes a wifi/bluetooth hard switch, which I like for power saving purposes.

It drives an external monitor quite well; I currently use a Dell 1680x1050 as my separate screen when on my desk.

The speakers are pretty good; nothing fancy but better than the old laptop.

Another thing you didn't ask about is battery life -- I don't have a specific answer yet, but it's not bad. (I completely disregard stated battery life estimates from manufacturers.) I'm not sure what a full drain would take, maybe some time I will tell it not to sleep and just run it for several cycles to see how long it runs.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, I agree, the multitouch stuff is disappointing right now, but it seems to me to be "almost there." It's not something I have time to monkey with right now, but if anyone has a solution, please let me know!

Beans
    Distro

One last thing -- I honestly think my biggest gripe about the X220T is the 1366x768 screen. I wish it was at least 1024. But so many comparable machines out there have this resolution, and I like so much about the X220T I went with it anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Chris is working on gesture improvement: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/f...nuxwacom-devel

So hopefully something is not too far off.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by unclepedro View Post
    One last thing -- I honestly think my biggest gripe about the X220T is the 1366x768 screen. I wish it was at least 1024. But so many comparable machines out there have this resolution, and I like so much about the X220T I went with it anyway.
    Ditto

I'm pretty much sure I won't be using it in portrait mode for anything besides pdf reading. Even full screen without task bars, it's just too narrow for even single-page web browsing.

Landscape mode is fine though. I find that turning the laptop around and then turning the screen back to face you makes for a nice, easy on-the-couch surfing experience. The popcorn helps grease up the screen for gestures

What might (with luck) save portrait mode is *smooth zoom* like in Opera Mobile 11, and every phone/ipod browser out there. The jerky zoom is just too jarring and inadequate when you're trying to find that sweet spot. Opera Mobile 11 is available for Windows, but it only runs full screen and uses its own gesture set, so it doesn't really cater well to multitasking needs.

We will get there eventually

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by contactez View Post
    Ditto

I'm pretty much sure I won't be using it in portrait mode for anything besides pdf reading. Even full screen without task bars, it's just too narrow for even single-page web browsing.
    I also use it for note taking.

Landscape mode is fine though. I find that turning the laptop around and then turning the screen back to face you makes for a nice, easy on-the-couch surfing experience.
    Agreed. I'm planning to submit a patch to Magick-Rotation at some point to select specific rotations manually -- so if I normally want it to be in portrait, but occasionally want to select "normal" or "flipped" for "couch mode" I can.

I also wish there were easily accessible brightness settings.

What might (with luck) save portrait mode is *smooth zoom* like in Opera Mobile 11, and every phone/ipod browser out there. The jerky zoom is just too jarring and inadequate when you're trying to find that sweet spot. Opera Mobile 11 is available for Windows, but it only runs full screen and uses its own gesture set, so it doesn't really cater well to multitasking needs.
    Yeah, that would be pretty cool. You'd think they could get something like that going with Compiz.

Beans

Loving it...I just got a 240GB SSD thist weekend which will replace the normal 5400rpm hard drive. I installed Natty and had no major problems....only, my touchpad isn't working...it actually also did not work with windows. Both touchpad and trackpoint are enabled in bios. No combination of enabling or disabling worked. Could therefore any of you guys give me your devices output? Below is mine....
    Was anyone able to configure your buttons on the tablet screen?
    Thank you all for this nice write up.

Code:
    cat /proc/bus/input/devices
    I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0005 Version=0000
    N: Name="Lid Switch"
    P: Phys=PNP0C0D/button/input0
    S: Sysfs=/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0C0D:00/input/input0
    U: Uniq=
    H: Handlers=event0 
    B: PROP=0
    B: EV=21
    B: SW=1

I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0003 Version=0000
    N: Name="Sleep Button"
    P: Phys=PNP0C0E/button/input0
    S: Sysfs=/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0C0E:00/input/input1
    H: Handlers=kbd event1 
    B: EV=3
    B: KEY=4000 0 0

I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0001 Version=0000
    N: Name="Power Button"
    P: Phys=LNXPWRBN/button/input0
    S: Sysfs=/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXPWRBN:00/input/input2
    H: Handlers=kbd event2 
    B: KEY=10000000000000 0

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0001 Product=0001 Version=ab54
    N: Name="AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
    P: Phys=isa0060/serio0/input0
    S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input3
    H: Handlers=sysrq kbd event3 
    B: EV=120013
    B: KEY=402000000 3803078f800d001 feffffdfffefffff fffffffffffffffe
    B: MSC=10
    B: LED=7

I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0006 Version=0000
    N: Name="Video Bus"
    P: Phys=LNXVIDEO/video/input0
    S: Sysfs=/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0A08:00/LNXVIDEO:00/input/input4
    H: Handlers=kbd event4 
    B: KEY=3e000b00000000 0 0 0

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=056a Product=00e6 Version=0139
    N: Name="ISD-V4 Pen"
    P: Phys=
    S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1.5/2-1.5:1.0/input/input5
    H: Handlers=mouse0 event5 
    B: EV=b
    B: KEY=1c03 0 0 0 0 0
    B: ABS=10001000003

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=04f2 Product=b217 Version=0854
    N: Name="Integrated Camera"
    P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1a.0-1.6/button
    S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.6/1-1.6:1.0/input/input6
    H: Handlers=kbd event6 
    B: KEY=100000 0 0 0

I: Bus=0019 Vendor=17aa Product=5054 Version=4101
    N: Name="ThinkPad Extra Buttons"
    P: Phys=thinkpad_acpi/input0
    S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi/input/input7
    H: Handlers=rfkill kbd event7 
    B: EV=33
    B: KEY=18040000 0 10000000000000 0 1501b00102004 8000000001104000 e000000000000 0
    B: MSC=10
    B: SW=a

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=000a Version=0000
    N: Name="TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint"
    P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
    S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input8
    H: Handlers=mouse1 event8 
    B: EV=7
    B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0
    B: REL=3

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=056a Product=00e6 Version=0139
    N: Name="ISD-V4 Finger"
    P: Phys=
    S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1.5/2-1.5:1.1/input/input9
    H: Handlers=mouse2 event9 
    B: EV=1b
    B: KEY=6400 0 0 0 0 0
    B: ABS=10001000003
    B: MSC=1

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast