Thread: Broken locales?

Beans

Broken locales?

Anyone else got problems with locales after the most recent updates?

Code:
    evil@saturn:~$ ccsm

(process:6123): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
            Using the fallback 'C' locale.
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/ccsm", line 93, in <module>
        import ccm
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ccm/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
        from ccm.Conflicts import *
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ccm/Conflicts.py", line 26, in <module>
        from ccm.Constants import *
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ccm/Constants.py", line 79, in <module>
        locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, "")
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/locale.py", line 531, in setlocale
        return _setlocale(category, locale)
    locale.Error: unsupported locale setting
    "sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales" fails too. :\

UPDATE: I fixed it by doing the following in order to get the reconfigure to run

Code:
    export LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8
    export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
    export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
    locale-gen en_US.UTF-8
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
    Last edited by 3vi1; June 18th, 2011 at 12:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Broken locales?

Well at least after updating package locales (2.13+git20110617-1) I do not get the following error message anymore and locale settings seem to work OK.

Code:
    perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
    perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
    	LANGUAGE = "en_GB:en",
    	LC_ALL = (unset),
    	LC_MESSAGES = "en_GB.UTF-8",
    	LANG = "en_GB"
        are supported and installed on your system.
    perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Harry33 View Post
    Well at least after updating package locales (2.13+git20110617-1) I do not get the following error message anymore and locale settings seem to work OK.
    Hmmm... that's the same version I have. I even tried reinstalling it, but it doesn't even reinstall properly:
    Code:
    perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
    perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
            LANGUAGE = "en_US:en",
            LC_ALL = "en_US",
            LC_MESSAGES = "en_US.UTF-8",
            LANG = "en_US"
        are supported and installed on your system.
    perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
    locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
    locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
    locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
    (Reading database ... 363391 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace locales 2.13+git20110617-1 (using .../locales_2.13+git20110617-1_all.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement locales ...
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
    locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
    locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
    Processing triggers for lintian ...
    Generating en_US.UTF-8 locale for internal Lintian use....
    Setting up locales (2.13+git20110617-1) ...
    /bin/bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US)
    Generating locales...
      en_AG.UTF-8... /usr/sbin/locale-gen: line 177: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US)
    up-to-date
      en_AU.UTF-8... /usr/sbin/locale-gen: line 177: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US)
    up-to-date
      en_BW.UTF-8... /usr/sbin/locale-gen: line 177: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US)
    up-to-date
      en_CA.UTF-8... /usr/sbin/locale-gen: line 177: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US)
    up-to-date
      en_DK.UTF-8... /usr/sbin/locale-gen: line 177: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US)
    up-to-date
      en_GB.UTF-8... /usr/sbin/locale-gen: line 177: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US)
    up-to-date
      en_HK.UTF-8... /usr/sbin/locale-gen: line 177: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US)
    up-to-date
      en_IE.UTF-8... /usr/sbin/locale-gen: line 177: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US)
    up-to-date
      en_IN.UTF-8... /usr/sbin/locale-gen: line 177: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US)
    up-to-date
      en_NG.UTF-8... /usr/sbin/locale-gen: line 177: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US)
    up-to-date
      en_NZ.UTF-8... /usr/sbin/locale-gen: line 177: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US)
    up-to-date
      en_PH.UTF-8... /usr/sbin/locale-gen: line 177: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US)
    up-to-date
      en_SG.UTF-8... /usr/sbin/locale-gen: line 177: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US)
    up-to-date
      en_US.UTF-8... /usr/sbin/locale-gen: line 177: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US)
    up-to-date
      en_ZA.UTF-8... /usr/sbin/locale-gen: line 177: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US)
    up-to-date
      en_ZW.UTF-8... /usr/sbin/locale-gen: line 177: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US)
    up-to-date
    Generation complete.

Beans

I figured it out... Updated first message with solution in case someone else encounters this.

Beans

Spoke too soon. I rebooted and found that the problem was back.

Searched around on a hunch it was LightDM and found it's not just me:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/lightdm/+bug/797249

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by 3vi1 View Post
    Searched around on a hunch it was LightDM and found it's not just me:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/lightdm/+bug/797249
    I don't see anywhere on the login screen where lightdm gives the option to choose your language. Did I miss something?

If you want to change system wide you should be able to edit '/etc/environment'.

Mine currently shows
    Code:
    LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
    Don't know where $LANGUAGE is being set, it's not in the '/etc/environment' file on my system and after setting $LANG in '~/.xprofile', locale still showed $LANGUAGE to be US english.

Since lightdm seems to be set up to handle setting the profile stuff now you can create a file named '.xprofile' in your home directory and export the stuff there, if you only want to change it in your user account.

My .xprofile looks like this currently
    Code:
    # This file '~/.xprofile' should be used to customize the environment of your X login session similar
    # to the way you would use '~/.profile' to customize the environment of your command line login session.

# export PATH="~/some_directory:$PATH"
    # export WINDOW_MANAGER="/usr/bin/fluxbox"

# Eexport LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=1
    export VTEST=FUBAR
    setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
    export LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
    export LANGUAGE=en_GB.UTF-8
    After making the change, logging out, logging back in, opening a terminal window, and typing
    Code:
    locale
    I get the following output
    Code:
    LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
    LANGUAGE=en_GB.UTF-8
    LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
    LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
    LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
    LC_COLLATE="en_GB.UTF-8"
    LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
    LC_MESSAGES=en_US.utf8
    LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF-8"
    LC_NAME="en_GB.UTF-8"
    LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.UTF-8"
    LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.UTF-8"
    LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.UTF-8"
    LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.UTF-8"
    LC_ALL=
    Later, Seeker
    ¨Everybody's trying to be my villain, And I was unaware of the vacancy.¨....
    ¨And maybe someday I will not be destitute, and I will be kicked by a better brand of boot.¨
    --Golden Shoulders

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

AFAIK '/etc/environment' by default shouldn't contain anything else but the PATH variable.

There was something wrong in my '~/.dmrc' (LANGUAGE=en_US instead of en_US.utf8) a couple of days ago (I suspect lightdm, but have no prove).

Edit

Yes, that's the same issue this time. Just fix the LANGUAGE variable in your '~/.dmrc' file and log out/back in.
    Last edited by MacUntu; June 18th, 2011 at 06:29 AM.
    The Power User’s Guide to Unity
    Questions about Ubuntu? Ask them at askubuntu.com!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MacUntu View Post
    AFAIK '/etc/environment' by default shouldn't contain anything else but the PATH variable.
    I didn't find any information indicating there was a better place to put it if you want 'LANG=' to apply to the whole system.

There was something wrong in my '~/.dmrc' (LANGUAGE=en_US instead of en_US.utf8) a couple of days ago (I suspect lightdm, but have no prove).
    I don't see how that would be the fault of lightdm, since it doesn't provide the option to select your language, the bug would be in whatever wrote the non-UTF-8 version of the setting in '~/.dmrc', probably a display manager, but if this is a new install that included lightdm as part of the OOBE, and the user account in question was the one created during installation, it could be something that made it's way in there when the account was created.

On a related note...

It seems that gnome-language-selector is not able to set the language as it gives the appearance that it should and the 'Region and Language' applet the shows in gnome-control-center doesn't seem to work either.

EDIT: Switched to the qt-kde greeter, it has place holders that I am guessing (but don't know) are intended to be the places where you can select language and keyboard layout, but nothing functional yet. Don't know if that is an indication that we can expect more stuff there soon or not.

Later, Seeker
    Last edited by seeker5528; June 18th, 2011 at 08:54 PM.
    ¨And maybe someday I will not be destitute, and I will be kicked by a better brand of boot.¨
    --Golden Shoulders

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by seeker5528 View Post
    I didn't find any information indicating there was a better place to put it if you want 'LANG=' to apply to the whole system.
    Was just saying that by default there is no LANG variable in '/etc/environment'.

Quote Originally Posted by seeker5528 View Post
    I don't see how that would be the fault of lightdm
    The issue is the following: GDM writes 'Language=en_US' to '~/.dmrc' which works just fine as GDM doesn't set LANG to 'en_US' unlike lightdm (or whatever package) does.

Edit:

This is the 'real' bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...dm/+bug/793366
    Last edited by MacUntu; June 19th, 2011 at 12:54 AM.
    The Power User’s Guide to Unity
    Questions about Ubuntu? Ask them at askubuntu.com!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MacUntu View Post
    Interesting. Apparently my googlefu failed me more than I thought. When I initially googled for the language stuff none of the results said anything about '.dmrc' or '/etc/default/locale'.

Later, Seeker
    --Golden Shoulders