Thread: Dell Inspiron 1525 Unstable

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Dell Inspiron 1525 Unstable

I'm currently running Ubuntu 11.04 32 bit most recently updated on a Dell Inspiron 1525 with a C2D processor, Intel integrated graphics, and 4 GB of RAM.

I have had the following problem with Ubuntu for quite a while (both 32 and 64 bits), Elementary OS, Fedora 15 (32 and 64 bit), and occasionally Windows (which is dual-booting).

Something is causing my computer to occasionally and semi-randomly freeze or end my session (by sending me back to the login screen).

It usually happens when I'm doing something a little resource intensive, but not always. Often when I'm playing a game like Minecraft or have a lot of Flash things open either my computer will freeze (going to a black screen and repeating 2-3 seconds of the last sound that was played) or kick me back to the login screen.

I assume it's some kind of hardware issue because it happens on all OSes I try (Windows 7, of course, bluescreens). I ran a memtest last night, and there were no problems.

How can I start looking for the cause? I realize its unreasonable to expect someone knows the issue with the very little bit of data I'm providing, but is there a way I could start to figure out what's causing it? It would be nice if it's a part that's easy to replace...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Dell Inspiron 1525 Unstable

First, check the temperatures to make sure the computer doesn't overheat. Here are some simple steps:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1784521

If it does overheat, you may need to take it apart and clean out the dust, if not, try checking the RAM with memtest (usually the third boot option).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Dell Inspiron 1525 Unstable

I followed those instructions - thanks! It seems that my laptop is running on the warm side (around 50C for a laptop).

I'll install a temperature monitor so I can see if it correlates with problems. Do you recommend one?