Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: rEFIt with multiple drives

Beans

Re: rEFIt with multiple drives

Ok Ill try that when I get home tonight, am I supposed to run gdisk on all of the drives or just disk3 (disk3 =sdd?)? Also I don't have much experience with gparted, I'm assuming BIOS boot partition will be an available partition format after the linux partition is shrunk?
    Last edited by Fasopus; June 22nd, 2011 at 12:15 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fasopus View Post
    Ok Ill try that when I get home tonight, am I supposed to run gdisk on all of the drives or just disk3 (disk3 =sdd?)?
    I recommend doing it on /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, and /dev/sdd; but at the very least, do it on /dev/sdd.

Also I don't have much experience with gparted, I'm assuming BIOS boot partition will be an available partition format after the linux partition is shrunk?
    In GParted, you create a BIOS Boot Partition by creating a partition without a filesystem and then setting the "bios_grub" flag on it. In gdisk, you create one by creating a partition and giving it a type code of EF02.
    If I've suggested a solution to a problem and you're not the original poster, do not try my solution! Problems can seem similar but be different, and a good solution to one problem can make another worse. Post a new thread with your problem details.

Beans

So I've completed all the above steps, but after I discover my install in the GRUB2 disk and attempt to launch it I get an error saying /dev/disk/by-uuid/xxxx.... does not exist, dropping to a shell.

Beans

It's possible to re-install GRUB in other ways. One is to use the Ubuntu installer in its "live CD" mode, as described here, among other places. (In your case, though, fdisk will be useless. You already know your installation is on /dev/sdd1, so you don't need to use fdisk to learn that.)
    If I've suggested a solution to a problem and you're not the original poster, do not try my solution! Problems can seem similar but be different, and a good solution to one problem can make another worse. Post a new thread with your problem details.

Beans

I booted into the live CD but when I attempt to mount my partition with

Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdd1 /mnt
    I get an error along the lines of special device does not exist or cannot be found

Beans

Please boot the live CD and run the Boot Info Script again. Something may have gone wrong to cause you to lose partitioning data. (If so, don't worry; your original Boot Info Script output is detailed enough that you can recover your original partitions.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123