My very first post so I'm expecting a lot.
Prob.: I'm using ubuntu 10.10 server with no GUI, no network, very minimal packages installed(network manager, rpm, wvdial, perhaps drivers for my mobile, gedit, firefox etc. all are absent), and very less knowledge of the terminal.
Sources available to use: 1) Dual booted windows with access to n/w to download files
2) Ubuntu 9.10 liveCD with Desktop
3) Ubuntu 10.10 server liveCD
4) Access to downloaded files on windows drives
I'm accessing internet via my 3g enabled mobile which was easily discovered on ubuntu 9.10 but not here
Things that I've tried: 1) sudo pppconfig(not sure which port my mobile is connected to, tried all ports but failure, perhaps drivers issue)
2) Downloaded wvdial, scanModem, rpm in windows(all .tar.gz-->another issue), tried to extract but errors, dpkg won't work.
3) Extracted the files using windows' winrar, but not sure what to do of the extracted folder(that's why I'm trying rpm which is also not installed)
My questions are: 1) Can I install ubuntu 9.10 gnome using liveCD into server?
2) How to install drivers for my mobile(Sony Ericsson j20i)/where can I find them?
3) How to extract and install .tar.gz and other packages manually after they are downloaded?
Please ask for any other information/logs if needed. Awaiting a kind and a wise response.