Thread: Possible to launch applications from webpage?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Lightbulb Possible to launch applications from webpage?

Hi there, I'm thinking about making some offline splash page for Ubuntu (Similar to how Jolicloud functions) I'm wondering if it's possible to be able to launch an application (For example, gedit) by clicking a link on the offline webpage?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Re: Possible to launch applications from webpage?

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have an idea, but I'm not very polished when it comes to scripting to know if it will even work.

But my idea would be that you figure out what shell script runs when gedit is called. That would take some searching around (unless you already know where it is), but it's possible. Then, on your webpage, you would need a script that will execute the gedit script.

And all of that depends on how well versed you are in scripting. What are you using to design the page?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

if the web page's server and the client are the same system yes it should be possible
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    shell_exec
    ("gedit &");
    ?>
    it may be necessary to specify the display
    opening gedit with a web page on the client's copmuter (assuming server is not also the client) would be considered a hack (unless you are talking about activeX (IE only) which i consider very unsafe to use)
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post