Thread: Display messed up after upgrading to Maverick

Beans

Angry Display messed up after upgrading to Maverick

Hi,

After upgrading from 10.04 to 10.10, the display doesn't work properly:

- Some random pieces of graphics belonging to an application that is on the background are shown on top of the active window
    - Some random pieces of graphics belonging to applications that have already been closed persist, and are shown either on the desktop background or even on top of the active window, even on top of the text I'm writing right now
    - White pixels and blobs appear randomly scattered here and there, especially when watching videos.

None of these used to happen with 10.04. All has started after the upgrade. I have an NVidia graphics card, and I've noticed that the NVidia logo that is shown at computer startup has the word "Beta" on it, which I'm almost sure it didn't use to have.

Is it possible that the upgrade to 10.10 has installed a crappy unstable beta version of the NVidia drivers? Is there a way to get the old stable working ones back?

Has anybody experienced the same issue and is it fixed on Natty?

Thanks in advance
    m.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Display f***ed up after upgrading to Maverick

Have you tried re installing 10.04. Then installing 10.10 again? Something could have merely gone wrong during your installation.

Beans

Re: Display f***ed up after upgrading to Maverick

No, of course I haven't tried. I don't think it is even possible to "downgrade", and I'm not going to reinstall the operating system from scratch. If something went wrong it is because something is broken and if I repeat the process again (if I could), it will go wrog again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Display messed up after upgrading to Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by matteosistisette View Post
    Hi,

After upgrading from 10.04 to 10.10, the display doesn't work properly:

- Some random pieces of graphics belonging to an application that is on the background are shown on top of the active window
    - Some random pieces of graphics belonging to applications that have already been closed persist, and are shown either on the desktop background or even on top of the active window, even on top of the text I'm writing right now
    - White pixels and blobs appear randomly scattered here and there, especially when watching videos.

None of these used to happen with 10.04. All has started after the upgrade. I have an NVidia graphics card, and I've noticed that the NVidia logo that is shown at computer startup has the word "Beta" on it, which I'm almost sure it didn't use to have.

Is it possible that the upgrade to 10.10 has installed a crappy unstable beta version of the NVidia drivers? Is there a way to get the old stable working ones back?

Has anybody experienced the same issue and is it fixed on Natty?

Thanks in advance
    m.
    Hi, I fixed mine while I was still beta testing it, it is the newer nvidia drivers just use the 173 in additional drivers for the 6100 series cards, I even have the cube and effects and all is great. If you installed drivers from third party go into synaptic and uninstall them other wise you will have two installed at the same time but it will only show one in additional drivers as active, also it will show driver not being use but that is a bug it really is being used if you activated it.