Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wireless issues (No wireless firmware)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Wireless issues (No wireless firmware)

I am new to ubuntu and so far I really like linux (over windows which SUCKS). I installed it using the wubi installer (I also have windows xp). The first time I booted it up I went to connect to a wireless network and no networks were up. Then I clicked on the wireless thing again and realized it said no wireless firmware. I have scoured the internet and found issues similar to mine but nobody has the same exact wireless card (Broadcom BCM 4312 802.11g/b, I figured this out by running recover and then the shell, after that I typed in the command: lspci -v | less).
    Please help me
    -M1k3y

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Wireless issues (No wireless firmware)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

For BCM 4312 802.11g/b, all there is to do is plug in a cable and wait for a popup prompting to install the driver.
    I nothing happens, search for bcmwl-kernel-source and install it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by StrayEddy View Post

Thanks so much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Still having issues. I didnt install it because I have no idea how to. I dont know where to put the files or the commands. I also did a bit of searching and underneath ubuntu help they had a section for this. I went into the terminal and it turns out that the adapter isnt disabled. But the wireless is. Thats literally what it said. Please help.
    -M1k3y

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by M1k3y View Post
    Still having issues. I didnt install it because I have no idea how to. I dont know where to put the files or the commands. I also did a bit of searching and underneath ubuntu help they had a section for this. I went into the terminal and it turns out that the adapter isnt disabled. But the wireless is. Thats literally what it said. Please help.
    -M1k3y
    you just need to connect to cable internet and update the software package list then look in additional drivers to activate the broadcom driver, it's all very easy to get the driver working from ubuntu repositories, no need to download and install drivers manually.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have already tried that. I plug directly into my modem and I get internet access for like 30 seconds then it disconnects me. I have no idea why. I tried connecting to the modem different ways. I tried resetting the modem, nothing has worked. The only way is manually I just need directions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

According to the README.txt you have to compile the driver, which you won't be able to do without the build-essential package. Quite honestly, I don't know why that link was posted, perhaps you should PM StrayEddy and ask.
    Anyway, back to the problem, since your wired connection doesn't work either, the only practical option is to use the installation CD.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...ernet%20access

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks

Beans

+1 on the CD - the build-essential package is on the LiveCD in the /pool/main folder tree - it might be the "b" folder in that tree, but I don't remember right off the top of my head. Do you have an ethernet port on the PC that you could temporarily hard wire to your router? If so, I would do that rather than trying to connect with a modem. Then just do the following:

- sudo apt-get update

- go to system/administration/additional drivers - this will run for a while and search for a driver. When it finds it it will download it, then it will show in the window. Just be sure to activate it - just because it shows in the window doesn't mean the driver has been enabled.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast