Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a laptop. Why register with manufacturer?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just bought a laptop. Why register with manufacturer?

So we've just bought a Toshiba laptop? Why should we register the laptop with Toshiba? What are the benefits of doing so?

What are the benefits, if any, of delaying the registration?

What are the disadvantages of registering the computer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Just bought a laptop. Why register with manufacturer?

Quote Originally Posted by hanzj View Post
    So we've just bought a Toshiba laptop? Why should we register the laptop with Toshiba? What are the benefits of doing so?

What are the benefits, if any, of delaying the registration?

What are the disadvantages of registering the computer?

I have never registered any computer in my life.

I don't think it really matters. I know for sony if you register it helps with computer theft retrieval...etc. But like i said, i don't register and it doesn't effect getting support or warranty's etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I would say it depends on your country's consumer laws. If you've got consumer laws like the UK (and the rest of the EU probably), then you are entitled to have any problems fixed via the retailer and they are not allowed to tell you that you must deal directly with the manufacturer; this is usually much more convenient for you.

If your consumer laws are weak you may need to deal with the manufacturer directly and registering may be the only way to do this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It's beneficial for the average user. Basically what registering is for is for the sake of support. Basically they'll have your contact info and know right away when you're under warranty and when it's almost over they send you an email and tell you that you can extend it if you want. And if you get support through their customer service for whatever reason, you can give them your name and boom they know which printer/computer/other device you have, it's serial number, any previous info or any other related info that they need and ask for anyways so it saves time and so the service process is usually less of a hassle.
    Intel Core i7 970 6/12 (Cores/Threads) 3.2GHz 12MB Cache
    6GB DDR3
    1866MHz RAM | ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
    60GB SSD
    (/) | 1TB 64MB Cache HDD (/home)
    Ubuntu Oneiric
    Ocelot 11.10 x64

Beans
    Hidden!

So they can nag you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

It really depends on what you are using the computer for. If you are going to install other operating systems, there is no reason to. But if you dont know alot about computers it could be beneficial because they could give you suggestions on how to use the computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

About 12 years ago I bought a Toshiba laptop (which still works, by the way) and went through the registration process. A few months later, I got a letter stating that I was part of a class action suit against Toshiba because someone had decided that in some rare instance the floppy drive might not function correctly. Even though I know that most class action suites are pure Bravo Sierra and nothing but legal extortion, I responded and eventually got a $200 check and $200 in store credit. I don't know what the Class Action Lawyers got but I would bet it was at least 90% of the settlement. Toshiba of course provided a software patch for the alleged problem. I never installed the patch and have never had a problem with the floppy drive on that machine.

So register your machine - you might become the beneficiary of class action extortion too. And you could even get a notice of a real problem.

Jerry

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry N View Post
    About 12 years ago I bought a Toshiba laptop (which still works, by the way) and went through the registration process. A few months later, I got a letter stating that I was part of a class action suit against Toshiba because someone had decided that in some rare instance the floppy drive might not function correctly. Even though I know that most class action suites are pure Bravo Sierra and nothing but legal extortion, I responded and eventually got a $200 check and $200 in store credit. I don't know what the Class Action Lawyers got but I would bet it was at least 90% of the settlement. Toshiba of course provided a software patch for the alleged problem. I never installed the patch and have never had a problem with the floppy drive on that machine.

So register your machine - you might become the beneficiary of class action extortion too. And you could even get a notice of a real problem.

Jerry
    Very true that's another thing I forgot to mention. If there is a recall/defect in your machine, you'll know right away and it'll get fixed right away.

Basically anything that has to do with you and the manufacturer at any point is several times easier, with much less problems if you are registered.
    Intel Core i7 970 6/12 (Cores/Threads) 3.2GHz 12MB Cache
    6GB DDR3
    1866MHz RAM | ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
    60GB SSD
    (/) | 1TB 64MB Cache HDD (/home)
    Ubuntu Oneiric
    Ocelot 11.10 x64

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

any benefits to delaying registration?

thanks, all. What are the benefits to delaying registration?

Beans
    Distro

It will allow the company to notify you of recall on the computer. I also believe some company require registration to activate the warranty. I use to have a Toshiba Protege S100 that had a faulty fan/motherboard. They ended up replacing them 3 times, at no cost to me. I say register and where it say allow email from company or something like that just mark NO.
    Gary
    Linux since 1995, Ubuntu since 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast