Thread: A Seamless Transition haha

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

A Seamless Transition haha

Am ready to make the leap to Ubuntu from Windows XP (*and the crowd goes wild...*) with a Gateway Desktop (AMD Athalon 64x2 3800 processor), Linksys wireless router, and a new Lexmark X4650 printer/scanner/copier. Have read quite a bit on this and other sites about prep work (i.e. running an Ubuntu trial, organizing files,converting unsupported files first, collecting network data and website bookmarks, and so forth) I have followed those steps and my question is:
    Is there anything else that would be useful to know with my particular system that would make this easier before I jump?
    P.S. I'm counting on the fact that it was said on this forum "no question is a stupid question"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: A Seamless Transition haha

Well, I think you can go ahead and try it. If you have any critical data, back it up.

Beans
    Hidden!

I think you did enough of preparation. Booting the Live CD a few times and trying different things is the best preparation, but you already did that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Spend some time with the LiveCD. Make sure you can get internet access from it as well as configure some basic items, ones that do not require a reboot. Does sound work? Do you have Unity or Classic, meaning you will need to install the 3rd party drivers from the "Additional Drivers". Playing with the LiveCD will also help you determine if their are any CD defects.

You will want internet access in the event of issues. If you have a secondary computer near by that is best but a phone with internet or the LiveCD will do as well.

Have a backout plan. Make sure you have backups of all your important data off the computer. Keep your Windows XP disk handy. You will likely have no issues but in the event something goes wrong you will want a path to a working computer.

Backup!! Yes it has been said already but you will want all your critical data off the drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've heard Lexmark printers do not play nice with Linux. For that reason I've never bought one so cannot comment further.