Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with installing Intel drivers please...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Angry Help with installing Intel drivers please...

Hey all I'm sorta new to Linux and new to this forum.

I recently bought a Samsung laptop (NP-RV511-A07UK). i'm not actually sure which chipset the motherboard is running so I don't know which drivers to get for that and the onboard graphics but I think I have found the drivers for the i3 processor:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...dType=Firmware

The description on this page reads:

"Intel releases microcode updates to correct processor behavior as documented in the respective processor specification updates. While the regular approach to getting this microcode update is via a BIOS upgrade, Intel realizes that this can be an administrative hassle. The Linux Operating System and VMware ESX products have a mechanism to update the microcode after booting. For example, this file will be used by the operating system mechanism if the file is placed in the /etc/firmware directory of the Linux system."

So i unzipped the folder I downloaded from there and it just appeared to be a plain text file with a little bit of a description and a disclamer and then what I guess is the CPU code. Everything seems ok so far but now I don't know where to place the file. It just says to put it in the "
    /etc/firmware directory". Does anyone know where the "etc" folder is? I found some folders called "etc" but they didn't have another folder inside called "firmware", I also found a folder called "firmware" but it wasn't inside a folder called "etc".

This is a bit frustrating >_< Can anyone give me a hand? Also if anyone knows what other drivers I need to download for my laptop that'd be sweet

Thanks all!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Help with installing Intel drivers please...

Why do you need that drivers? Aren't you happy with the Intel drivers that are build into the kernel?

I have an i3 processor and I didn't need to add any drivers.

Beans
    Distro

Well I just thought it'd be better to get the specific drivers from the intel website instead of some generic drivers, or does ubuntu have official intel drivers built into it? Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!

Linux has a lot of kernel developers. They make drivers for as much hardware as possible.

Here is a list of the top 10 contributing firms from 2009. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10288910-16.html And Intel takes the second place. So I guess Intel would put it's own drivers in the kernel.

For nVidea and ATI cards it's another story. nVidea creates linux drivers but doesn't release them as Open source (so you need to install those) and ATI makes no Linux drivers (so you are bound to the drivers included in the kernel).

Beans
    Distro

Ah right, interesting, thanks Maybe I don't need to worry so much about the cpu drivers then. I think I'm still gonna need drivers for the chipset and onboard graphics though right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I agree with post above.

Drivers in kernel are made by Intel.

Beans
    Hidden!

I wouldn't install any additional drivers unless you feel something is working bad. But I know, for the Intel processors with integrated graphics. The chance is very small that you will find sometoing better.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sanderd17 View Post
    I wouldn't install any additional drivers unless you feel something is working bad. But I know, for the Intel processors with integrated graphics. The chance is very small that you will find sometoing better.
    yeah i feel the laptop is running ok tbh, i can tell linux is a bit lighter than windows 7 which i was running until i just wiped it n started using ubuntu studio. i just feel that the graphics performance is lacking though. i know i dont have a very powerful graphics chip but it did perform noticeably better in windows. im really hoping i can find a proper driver for it to see what difference it makes and hopefully boost performance a bit. i know that in windows graphics drivers made such a huge difference to performance, probably way more than any other driver. im assuming its the same with linux. thanks for the help so far guys

Beans
    Hidden!

Ubuntu studio? They use XFCE right?

Because in the default Ubuntu, Unity asks a lot of your graphical card, so that could make your experience slower.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sanderd17 View Post
    Ubuntu studio? They use XFCE right?

Because in the default Ubuntu, Unity asks a lot of your graphical card, so that could make your experience slower.
    Erm im not sure, whats that? I am new to linux really, ive played with it a little on random ocassions over the last couple years but ive only been running it properly as my main os for the last couple of days. i got ubuntu studio because i like to record and program music and edit videos so it was recommended to me on the linux forum. i thought it was just ubuntu but with a different default program set and a few codecs pre-installed.

also i was hoping for some power saving/underclocking features for the cpu, kinda like what amd cool n quiet does. is that possible in ubuntu?

Thanks again for all the help! i love this linux community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast