Thread: After login, nothing then the occasional flashing box

Beans

After login, nothing then the occasional flashing box

I installed 11.04 on a machine. After installing did the reboot and logged in. The only thing I see is the background. After I wait a few I see, what I believe to be, a dialog box to finish setup but it will only appear on screen for a fraction of a second then disappear, then about 2 seconds later it will flash again. It continues to do this with out stop. When I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del twice, I am able to, for only a moment but long enough to click shutdown, see the shutdown options before it disappears and a couple of seconds later it pops back up and disappears again. It continues to do this.

What could be causing this? I have tried other things I found on this forum, but they did not work.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: After login, nothing then the occasional flashing box

can you boot up in recovery mode?
    Shiny Lenovo B560, bought with 50% discount from the Linux Foundation, Ubuntu 11.04 Natty

If it can go wrong, it will... Multiple times.

Beans

No, I can not. Hitting Esc at the time it says just brings me to the menu to choose which device to boot from.

Beans

I seem to have figured it out. I popped in the cd again and used it as a live cd and installed from the shortcut on the desktop.