Thread: Logwatch emails not sent if named logs are included

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Logwatch emails not sent if named logs are included

Hi,

I've suddenly stopped getting emails from logwatch which runs on an Ubuntu server daily using cron.

After a good day or so of troubleshooting, I was able to establish that it was the 'Service = named' line in my logwatch.conf file, which was stopping the emails from coming through. If I commented out this line, the logwatch emails come through with no issues, uncomment, and I don't get an email. I don't get any error from logwatch itself when I run it, even with '--debug high', leading me to think that my email configuration is setup ok, at least. Furthermore, I tried running logwatch with '--output file --format html' and logwatch produces a valid html file.

I then thought: "Could I have a entry in my Bind/named log files which could be rejected by my ISP's smtp server?". So, (to the best of my knowledge) I cleared out the log files in /var/log that contained messages from named. I then ran logwatch (including the named service in my logwatch.conf file) and I got an email through, with a pretty much empty named section, which is exactly what I anticipated. Great! - it's fixed.

So, the cron.daily ran early this morning, but still no email in my inbox when I got up...

I then tried to run 'logwatch --Range today' and lo and behold, I got a logwatch report email, which included a named section, with log entries in there. So it seems that something that's been logged by named overnight to my logfiles (i.e. '--Range yesterday') has caused issues again with logwatch's ability to send reports through my ISP's smtp servers.

Now, my question is: How on earth do I go about fixing this? I've no idea where to start troubleshooting it!

I hope someone can help.

Cheers,

Joe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Logwatch emails not sent if named logs are included

Just for anyone who faces this issue too:

It turns out that this issue seems to be Apple's MobileMe email service which was blocking these emails for some reason.

It seemed to start working again, and since then I have replaced the server which this was relating to and I still get the odd one from my DNS server that gets blocked. I guess MobileMe is flagging something up as spam in my logwatch report, or something like that.

Joe