Thread: Brand new to Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Brand new to Ubuntu

I have a very basic question...

If I downloaded Ubuntu 11.04, then I decided that I wanted to use KDE, would that mean that my OS is now Kubuntu?

I'm not sure what Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and Ubuntu are seperated by.

If I did this, would it be better to just start fresh with a Kubuntu install so I am free from any Gnome remains with my Ubuntu 11.04?

Thanks,
    Fatman

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Brand new to Ubuntu

There are different desktop environments that can be used with linux based operating systems. Some of them are Gnome, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, etc.

The different variations of Ubuntu that you mention have different default DEs. But you can install and use the others also.

Ubuntu main version uses GNOME by default, Kubuntu KDE, Lubuntu LXDE and so on.

If you want to try KDE, you can install it on Ubuntu. This will give you a list to select from at the login screen to use whether Gnome or KDE. But yes, you would have versions of programs for both the DEs. If you would like to not have the GNOME programs and want to try KDE, you can use the Kubuntu iso.

Beans

Welcome to the Ubuntu forums! Basically, the only differences between Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, etc.. is the desktop enviornment (the part that you see while using your computer) Kubuntu uses KDE, Ubuntu uses Gnome, and Xubuntu uses xfce as it's desktop enviornment. If you are 100% sure you want to use Kubuntu, I would recommend a clean install, but if you aren't sure, I would recommend installing KDE on your current install and playing around with it from there. If you end up not liking KDE on your current install, it is possible to uninstall it (but in can get a little time consuming to clean out all of the KDE packages)

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for clearing that up!

So far I love the KDE so I think I'll do a fresh install of Kubuntu.

Again, thank you for your help!

ivanovnegro is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro

Here is also a how-to if you want to remove the other desktop environments.

Beans

Any time! Glad to hear you are enjoying KDE (good choice!)
    Have fun

Beans
    Hidden!

I wouldn't do a fresh install just yet. You can install the package kubuntu-desktop in your current install, and spend some time playing with it. If after a week or so you decide to go the Kubuntu way, it's not gonna be too hard to reinstall. And what's a week, right?

Although, Kubuntu is mega awesome.