Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CD/DVD 'Ubuntu 10.10 _Maverick Meerkat_ - Release i386 (20101007)' is required

Beans

CD/DVD 'Ubuntu 10.10 _Maverick Meerkat_ - Release i386 (20101007)' is required

i had a little red triangle on the top right of my screen indicating i have some updates. so i opened up systems-admin-update manager, but got an error message saying another program like synaps or something was opened...so today i restarted my netbook and then tried again, this time i got the following message:

CD/DVD 'Ubuntu 10.10 _Maverick Meerkat_ - Release i386 (20101007)' is required. Please insert the above CD/DVD into the drive '/cdrom/' to install software packages from it.

doesn't anyone know what this means, and am i able to work around it since i don't have a CD drive?

netbook: Asus Eee PC 1215T
    OS: ubuntu desktop version 10.10 (maverick) Kernel Linux 2.6.35-generic Gnome 2.32.0

message: CD/DVD 'Ubuntu 10.10 _Maverick Meerkat_ - Release i386 (20101007)' is required. Please insert the above CD/DVD into the drive '/cdrom/' to install software packages from it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: CD/DVD 'Ubuntu 10.10 _Maverick Meerkat_ - Release i386 (20101007)' is required

Open /etc/apt/sources.list and comment out, put a # in the front of the line referring to the CD

Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Re: CD/DVD 'Ubuntu 10.10 _Maverick Meerkat_ - Release i386 (20101007)' is required

Go to software sources and see if the CD is enabled as a source. It seems to think you installed from a CD, which I guess is not the case if you don't have a disc drive.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    Open /etc/apt/sources.list and comment out, put a # in the front of the line referring to the CD

Code:

where is the etc at? is it under system admin?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stoneage View Post
    Go to software sources and see if the CD is enabled as a source. It seems to think you installed from a CD, which I guess is not the case if you don't have a disc drive.
    how do i find software sources?....wait at minute...nevermind.i just found it...but where does it say if a cd is enabled? i can't find it...
    Last edited by agnisflugen; August 7th, 2011 at 04:45 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by agnisflugen View Post
    where is the etc at? is it under system admin?
    the command shows you where it is, it is a directory.

type as shown into terminal or as stated above use software sources
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

okay, i don't know what any of that means...but i did find where it says in software that it's installable from a CD, how do i go about changing that?

Beans

If you copy/paste
    Code:
    into a terminal it will open the file for you in a text editor.

Look for the entry for the CD and, as bodhi.zazen said, put a # in front of it. That tells your system to ignore that line.

The list in the file sources.list is the same one in Software Sources under the Other Software tab.

EDIT -
    okay, i don't know what any of that means...but i did find where it says in software that it's installable from a CD, how do i go about changing that?
    Try the 'Other Software' tab

p.s. - I don't use 11.04, or I would post screenshots.
    Last edited by stoneage; August 7th, 2011 at 05:05 PM.

Beans

just open a terminal as mentioned, if you dont know how to then press

ctrl+alt+t

in the terminal type the following as said before:

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

enter password (which is your login password)

when the file opens look for the line you mentioned before which references the CD as a soucre and comment it out which means placing a # at the beginning of the line and then save it
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

okay, that makes sense...i was able to do that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast