Thread: UbuntuOne+Evolution can't be this god-aweful, I must be doing something wrong.

Beans

UbuntuOne+Evolution can't be this god-aweful, I must be doing something wrong.

(Natty 11.04)

When trying to copy my personal address to CouchDB I get this error:
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Unable to open address book

This address book cannot be opened. This either means that an incorrect URI was entered, or this server is unreachable.

Detailed error message: Invalid source
    (ok)
    - - - - - - - - - -

I have been trying (since 10.04!) to sync my Evolution contacts. UbuntuOne seems to be the most promising way of doing that automatically, however, I completely fail at accomplishing this seemingly simple task. I have NEVER been able to successfully back up my address book to UbuntuOne. Note: all other sync works fine. It's just Evolution that is seemingly smarter than I am.

Thing I have done to solve the issue:

- Upgraded from 10.04 to 11.04
    - All three steps from this article:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOne/FA...olutionSyncing
    - Cuss and swear and roll my eyes, mutter a few unrepeatable curse words about Canonical and their mothers.

None of this has solved my issue. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Beans

Re: UbuntuOne+Evolution can't be this god-aweful, I must be doing something wrong.

Go to package manager. Is evolution-couchdb installed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: UbuntuOne+Evolution can't be this god-aweful, I must be doing something wrong.

Hi,

I have the same issues and I have evolution-couchdb installed. couschdb desktop tools tell me that it is paired with ubuntu one. Interestingly I had one contact on Ubuntu one that I entered manually show up in my evolution contacts. But the other direction does not work.

Regards,
    DC

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

First I would try the steps under killing and restarting desktopcouch. Step 4, opening the Futon interface in your browser, will just confirm desktopcouch is running. Once you have confirmed it is running see if you still get errors trying to access the U1 address-book.

If you still get errors, I think you have done this, but make sure evolution-couchdb is installed. If so, can you please quit evolution and then go to a terminal and run the following:

$ killall -9 e-addressbook-factory
    $ export COUCHDB_DEBUG_MESSAGES=1
    $ /usr/lib/evolution/e-addressbook-factory

then, open Evolution and try to open the U1 addressbook again. When it fails again, please go back to the terminal and paste all the output from the last command to this thread?
    Last edited by duanedesign; June 16th, 2011 at 05:15 PM. Reason: added more info

Beans

I followed this help here and was able to get the U1 contacts list stop giving me an error whenever I tried opening it. So now I have one contact in my Evolution Ubuntu One list and one contact in Ubuntu One, but they are different contacts and the syncing does not seem to work.

No idea where to go from here. Wait until there is a patch?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Unhappy Re: UbuntuOne+Evolution can't be this god-aweful, I must be doing something wrong.

I too am getting distraught with U1. I have tried everything advised. The last message I got in evolution was:

Unable to open address book

This address book cannot be opened. This either means that an incorrect URI was entered, or the server is unreachable.

Detailed error message: GDBus.Errorrg.gtk.GDBus.UnmappedGError.Quark._e_2ddata_2dbook _2derror.Code100: Cannot open book: Could not create DesktopcouchSession object

Also got this in terminal

** (e-addressbook-factory:2491): WARNING **: Couldn't get desktopcouch port: GDBus.Errorrg.freedesktop.DBus.Python.RuntimeError: Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/dbus/service.py", line 702, in _message_cb
    retval = candidate_method(self, *args, **keywords)
    File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/desktopcouch/application/platform/linux/ipc.py", line 50, in getPort
    port = int(direct_access_find_port(ctx=self.ctx))
    File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/desktopcouch/application/platform/linux/__init__.py", line 172, in direct_access_find_port
    return direct_access_find_port(pid, ctx, retries_left - 1)
    File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/desktopcouch/application/platform/linux/__init__.py", line 172, in direct_access_find_port
    File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/desktopcouch/application/platform/linux/__init__.py", line 173, in direct_access_find_port
    raise RuntimeError("Unable to find listening port")
    RuntimeError: Unable to find listening port
    Last edited by briancb; June 22nd, 2011 at 12:45 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by duanedesign View Post
    First I would try the steps under killing and restarting desktopcouch. Step 4, opening the Futon interface in your browser, will just confirm desktopcouch is running. Once you have confirmed it is running see if you still get errors trying to access the U1 address-book.

If you still get errors, I think you have done this, but make sure evolution-couchdb is installed. If so, can you please quit evolution and then go to a terminal and run the following:

$ killall -9 e-addressbook-factory
    $ export COUCHDB_DEBUG_MESSAGES=1
    $ /usr/lib/evolution/e-addressbook-factory

then, open Evolution and try to open the U1 addressbook again. When it fails again, please go back to the terminal and paste all the output from the last command to this thread?

thanks this worked for me. I'm using ubuntu 11.10