Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux 3.0.0

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Linux 3.0.0

... works just fine with Kubuntu + Intel IGP. I am pleased.
    my shiz: http://inportb.com/
    use Dropbox if you need an awesome free file hosting service; please follow my referral link for an extra 256MB of free storage.

Beans

Not very happy with it on my system (i980x & SSD).

1. Seems like some kind of race condition is hanging it during mountall. I assume it's in mountall, as when it hangs it last mentions mounting the NFS shares. It's only booted successfully without hanging 2 out of 30 times I tried.
    2. HDA Intel sound is broken. I can hear via my headphones, but the speakers do not work in 3.0.0. Rebooting to 2.6.39-3 fixes the sound.
    3. Had to install the edgers nvidia drivers, since the current std repo version won't build for 3.0.0.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by 3vi1 View Post
    Seems like some kind of race condition is hanging it during mountall. I assume it's in mountall, as when it hangs it last mentions mounting the NFS shares. It's only booted successfully without hanging 2 out of 30 times I tried.
    You didn't try uninstalling plymouth, did you? Supposedly, mountall is hard-coded to crash or something if plymouth isn't installed and running at boot. Either that or ureadahead.

Its been a while since we had plymouth foisted on us, but I remember that one of those two was partially rewritten to stop people from fixing a couple of bugs that made their systems unbootable, by removing plymouth.
    Custom PC- Athlon II, GeForce 210, Kubuntu Ocelot
    Dell Inspiron 1564, i3 Arrandale, Lubuntu Lucid
    Winbook M Series, Kubuntu Ocelot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for this thread everyone (especially coffecat).

Armed with this knowledge, I was able to update to the new kernel and then also updated the new NVidia drivers before the reboot and was able to reboot with sound-over-HDMI still working and everything.

You folks are awesome!

The Hedge

Look at all those flashing lights! I'll take one!

The Ubuntu Forums - our little Global Village

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Have you guys notices any improvements in power management. 2.6.38/39 is a power sucker. Any easy way to install this in Natty
    Amor cuerdo, no es Amor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ 3.0-rc2 is there for Oneiric but it works fine on Natty (for me, with edgers nvidia). On my Oneiric laptop everything works very nicely once the system boots - however it takes two or three hard resets to get it to boot to a desktop; otherwise it just hangs when logging in (no keyboard response at all, not even to magic keys). SSH works but I can't force a logout (tried gnome-session-quit --display=:0 --force --[something else]).
    1) Dell Studio 1749: i5 540 (2.5GHz), 8GB, ATi 5650, Intel 5300AGN XFCE@Manjaro-x64
    2) Lenovo X61: C2D T7200, 2GB, Intel HDA, iwlwifi, XFCE@Manjaro-x64
    3) Compaq Mini 311c: Atom N270 (OC@2.0GHz), 3GB, Nvidia ION, Broadcom G+BT XFCE@13.10x32

TenPlus1 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Smile Re: Linux 3.0.0

3.0.0 installs and works well on Lubuntu 11.04 although my nvidia 6600gt wont kick in with binary drivers so using nouveau for now which works well also

Beans

Works well for me too and the gtk-recordmydesktop issues seem to have gone too ....
    in Gnome-Shell ....

Finally got a running version of Gnome Shell in OO .... 11.10 ....... kernel generic 3.0.0
    as of today .... and .... compiz replace works ....

no blues flashes ....

The video problems no longer exist .... this is quickly done basic video using Gtk-Recordmydesktop

Its been done on dual monitor and one is bigger than the other ..... thats why its so wide .... and a split
    in the display 2/3rds across - but it is working well now.
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; June 14th, 2011 at 11:41 AM.

Beans

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
    You didn't try uninstalling plymouth, did you?...
    No.

And an additional item as noted in another thread:

4. NFS mounts are broken.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast