Hi everyone,

First off, I wasn't sure if this was the proper place to post... So if I posted in the wrong section - please excuse me.

The problem is this - Opera is great! It's just the best browser I could possibly think of - in terms of accessibility, stability and functionality. This is the reason that I can't just switch to another browser when Opera does something like this.

Here's the problem - Opera itself works OK... Most of the time its responsive and all seems well... Until I open htop to see why the rest of my system seems to be running slower and I see this - Opera consuming 45% (580MB Virt) out of my 1 gig of RAM...

Admittedly, I do like to keep more tabs open than the average person, (even though I've enabled the plugin-on-demand option meaning that flash is not actively running on any of them) but even if I don't have any tabs open Opera still sucks up about 30-35% of my RAM just idling...

How is this possible? I tried a couple of different version to no avail... The problem has been bugging me for awhile and I've tried all that I can think of to remedy it...

Its gotten to the point that if I have to do anything other than browsing I just kill Opera forcefully just so that other things work normally...

I've been through various bug reports and whatnot, I've tried various guides claiming to lower RAM consumption but the problem's still there...

Some specifics about my setup:

Ubuntu 10.04 (netbook remix/edition with Gnome)
Machine is Lenovo SL500 with a gig of ram.
Opera 11.11 with flash enabled on-demand (i.e. not active unless I click it).

Opera CPU usage typically ranges from 5-25%.

I don't know what other information to post in order to help with the solution... Is this just me? Is this behavior normal?

Is 1 gig of RAM not enough anymore? If I put in say 4 gigs will Opera's RAM usage rise (as I saw in a couple of other people's posts)?

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance!