Thread: trusted unRAR tool needed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Unhappy trusted unRAR tool needed

Hi folks,

I need a trusted unrar tool tu unrar movies and suchs things. The unrar app installed from software centre unrars the most of the archives, but many times it gives an error at the end of the process, and I still can't watch movies
    Do you know any (free) trusted unrar tools?
    Thanks in advice!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: trusted unRAR tool needed

I started to have problems with unrar (on the command line) generating crc errors when there were none. I have found that running the unrar process through the archive manager (file roller) will also show errors but generally either successfully unrars the file or creates a dot folder (hidden) folder in the directory that contains the successfully unrar'd content.
    No longer participating......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

In my own experience, when unRAR fails toward the end of a single file archive, that typically means the either the checksum is bad or the password you entered for the archive file is incorrect.

Yeah, I know it SHOULD tell you up front if the password is incorrect, but sometimes, it goes all the way to the end of trying to expand the archive -- and then fails.

If these are movies you're getting from the Internet, and you're supplying a password given by the poster, this generally means the password provided is incorrect.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Cool Re: trusted unRAR tool needed

It comes with no password, I have tu unrar them on Windows, and there is no nedd for password there. The normal unrar tool from the software centre fails at the end of the process. Maybe the checksum is incorrect, cause there are several smaller rar files with the same movie file.

newer version of unrar?
    http://www.rarlabs.com/rar/rarlinux-4.0.1.tar.gz

Quote Originally Posted by puntigamer View Post
    ...Maybe the checksum is incorrect, cause there are several smaller rar files with the same movie file.
    If the checksum (crc) is incorrect, NO version of unrar can make it unrar.
    but OTOH, if WinTendo (winrar?) can do it, it is probably a matter of a newer version might be needed for Linux to do it also.
    Last edited by Habitual; June 15th, 2011 at 12:19 AM.
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.