Thread: Compiz not working

Beans

Compiz not working

I am using ubuntu 9.04.My graphics card is intel845 (built in).My problem is, I can not make compiz work.Resolation is ok.It is 1024x768 but when I try to change visual effect from none to normal or extra, every time it says "Desktop effects could not be enabled".Please tell me how to solve it.I am so much curious about compiz effects.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: Compiz not working

First of all, 9.04 isn't supported any longer so you might not receive any updates or security patches for that. Even. you cannot reach the repositories for installing drivers or some other applications unless you tweak your sources.list a bit. And that too, wouldn't be much helpful because of the security issues.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

If you still want to use the repositories, this might help.

http://ubuntu4beginners.blogspot.com...d-of-life.html

So, the most important thing is to upgrade or do a fresh install of one of the current releases i.e, 10.04 (Supported for 3 years on the desktop) or 11.10 (most recent one supported for 18 months).

If you want to stay with your current install for any reason, enable the repositories as mentioned above. Go to Applications > Accessories > Terminal and run:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Now, go to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers and see if any drivers are available. If they are, install them and try enabling Compiz again.

If not, we might need to see the output of this command from Terminal:

Code:
    lshw -c video

Beans

Here is the output:
    herok@herok-desktop:~$ lshw -c video
    WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
    *-display UNCLAIMED
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 2
    bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
    version: 03
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: bus_master cap_list
    configuration: latency=0
    herok@herok-desktop:~$

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The intel video driver is installed along with X when Ubuntu is installed. Have you updated the system completely by running update manager?
    Be formless, shapeless... like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup; you put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; if you put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot... Now water can flow, or it can crash... Be water my friend

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by manzdagratiano View Post
    The intel video driver is installed along with X when Ubuntu is installed. Have you updated the system completely by running update manager?
    I never updated but I tried lucid and natty.Even in these versions, I faced the same problem.