Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to restore root.disk file ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

how to restore root.disk file ?

Hello i want to recover my data contained in root.disk. How can i do it ? I searched over net but didnt find any satisfactory solution. can anyone please help me out ?
    Thanks & Regards
    Ankur M Trapasiya

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: how to restore root.disk file ?

Data Recovery on Wubi... No idea.. You could try this:

http://cinderbox.net/2011/05/12/phot...file-recovery/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

@ankur.trapasiya, what is the situation with root.disk? Is it still there but you cannot boot into your Ubuntu Wubi? Or has it been erased somehow? Or something else? The answer will depend on which.

If the root.disk file is still there but you cannot boot into wubi/Ubuntu then it is possible to mount the file as though it were a partition using the Ubuntu live CD. With that you would then be able to access and copy your files - so long as the filesystem is not extensively damaged.

If you want to try that, post back and I can take you through the procedure. I will be offline for an hour or so, but I will check this thread later.

Do you have an Ubuntu live CD, and if so which version. Which version of Ubuntu were you running in your wubi installation?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

hello i am having only root.disk file and i have installed another ubuntu in my computer ... can i recover it from the existing installation or i have to use the live cd option only ? n how to check whether or not my root.disk is corrupted or not ?
    Thanks & Regards
    Ankur M Trapasiya

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm not sure I follow you completely. Let's see if I understand you. You have a root.disk file but it sounds as though you no longer have a Windows installation? Am I correct? Did you delete all of Windows but managed to preserve the root.disk file?

If you have a conventional Ubuntu installation on another partition of the hard drive and can boot into it, and you have access to your root.disk then, yes, the root.disk can be mounted from it to extract files from it and repaired if need be. You wouldn't need to use the live CD.

I think the best thing to tell us about your system is to run the boot script. It's designed for booting problems, but don't worry about that. It will hopefully give us all the information we need in order to know what to do to mount your root.disk.

Boot into Ubuntu and go to this site:

http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

Download and run the boot script according to the instructions there and post the output of the RESULTS.txt file.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

+1 to coffeecat's suggestion to run the boot script. It will really help us to help you.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

yes ... i have uninstalled ubuntu from windows but i have taken back up of the root.disk file... can it be restored ??

i am attaching result.txt file here....
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanks & Regards
    Ankur M Trapasiya

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'll repost your RESULTS.txt file so that other thread contributors can see it.

Code:
                      Boot Info Script 0.60    from 17 May 2011

============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

=> Windows is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda.
     => No boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdc.

sda1: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ntfs
        Boot sector type:  Windows Vista/7
        Boot sector info:   No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
        Operating System:  
        Boot files:        /bootmgr /Boot/BCD

sda2: __________________________________________________________________________

Operating System:  Windows 7
        Boot files:        /Windows/System32/winload.exe

sda3: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       Extended Partition
        Boot sector type:  -
        Boot sector info:  

sda5: __________________________________________________________________________

Boot sector info:   According to the info in the boot sector, sda5 starts 
                           at sector 2048.
        Operating System:  
        Boot files:        

sda4: __________________________________________________________________________

Boot sector info:   According to the info in the boot sector, sda4 has 
                           30722047 sectors, but according to the info from 
                           fdisk, it has 30943919 sectors.
        Operating System:  
        Boot files:        /bootmgr /boot/bcd

sdc1: __________________________________________________________________________

Operating System:  
        Boot files:        

============================ Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda _____________________________________________________________________

Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition  Boot  Start Sector    End Sector  # of Sectors  Id System

/dev/sda1    *          2,048       411,647       409,600   7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
    /dev/sda2             411,648   533,387,263   532,975,616   7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
    /dev/sda3         533,389,312   594,198,527    60,809,216   f W95 Extended (LBA)
    /dev/sda5         533,391,360   594,198,527    60,807,168   7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
    /dev/sda4         594,198,528   625,142,447    30,943,920  12 Compaq diagnostics

Drive: sdc _____________________________________________________________________

Disk /dev/sdc: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition  Boot  Start Sector    End Sector  # of Sectors  Id System

/dev/sdc1    *             63 1,953,520,064 1,953,520,002   7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS

"blkid" output: ________________________________________________________________

Device           UUID                                   TYPE       LABEL

/dev/loop0                                              squashfs   
    /dev/loop1       11166737-af54-4f38-af8b-42615df8c711   ext4       
    /dev/sda1        4416D87716D86B84                       ntfs       
    /dev/sda2        4E94DA8194DA6B4B                       ntfs       
    /dev/sda4        5E2EE2502EE220AF                       ntfs       LENOVO_PART
    /dev/sda5        22F62B2EF62B0221                       ntfs       LENOVO
    /dev/sdc1        7C146C16146BD226                       ntfs       WELCOME TO HELL

================================ Mount points: =================================

Device           Mount_Point              Type       Options

/dev/loop0       /rofs                    squashfs   (ro,noatime)
    /dev/sda1        /win                     fuseblk    (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)
    /dev/sda2        /media/4E94DA8194DA6B4B  fuseblk    (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_permissions)
    /dev/sda5        /media/LENOVO            fuseblk    (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_permissions)
    /dev/sdc1        /media/WELCOME TO HELL   fuseblk    (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_permissions)
    /dev/sr0         /cdrom                   iso9660    (ro,noatime)

========= Devices which don't seem to have a corresponding hard drive: =========

sdb sdd
    Where exactly is your "other Ubuntu"? There is no Ubuntu partition on your hard drive. How did you run the boot-script? Do you mean you made another wubi install? Where is the root.disk that you want to recover?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The questions asked by coffeecat where exactly the ones I wanted to also ask

ankur.trapasiya, if you saved the root.disk to an external medium or even in a folder somewhere on the Windows install then you can download and install a utility that works within Windows to get the data.

Use ext2read to recover any important data from the Ubuntu root.disk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

hello .... Thanks a lot... ext2read recovered my corrupted installation .. .

now one more query i am having is ..

i am having my entire ubuntu backed up... now can i use this folders in my existing ubuntu ?
    what i meant to say is i am already having one wubi installation of ubuntu installed now i also recovered my previous ubuntu installation in which my important installations are residing. can i use this recovered folders( e.g. var,usr,opt etc. system folders) in my new ubuntu ?

in short what i want to ask is will it work if i remove all the new ubuntu installation folders and replace them by my recovered data... will the programs will work which i installed in my previous ubuntu ? ( e.g. netbeans, mysql )....
    Thanks & Regards
    Ankur M Trapasiya

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast