Thread: video format 0x7 problems

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question video format 0x7 problems

On some video's (avi's for one) I cannot get kaffeine to play them. It just says 'codec already installed' and stops.
    With mplayer I get 'Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x7" then proceeds to play the audio with a black video.
    However in winxp running mplayer the video plays with no problem!??

Other video's from the same source and same type, play on kaffeine just fine!

What am I missing?
    Running kubuntu 8.04.4. with all updates I know about installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: video format 0x7 problems

First of all, you should upgrade to 10.10 or 11.04. There were so many advances in the next few versions.
    As for the problem, you probably have either a faulty copy or you have to install restricted extras using the terminal: sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by VOT Productions View Post
    First of all, you should upgrade to 10.10 or 11.04. There were so many advances in the next few versions.
    As for the problem, you probably have either a faulty copy or you have to install restricted extras using the terminal: sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras.
    I don't like the KDE 4.0+ desktops, I prefer the KDE 3.5. I have installed trinity on my laptop and it seems to work ok (haven't tried the video's on it yet). (may get brave and install trinity on my desktop computer!)

I will try the restricted extras - - -thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I think you can downgrade to KDE 3.5 if you use the right tools.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ok, I did the sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras but still have the same errors.

I have in the past installed some of the codec packages from the repository. Can anyone recommend what I may have missed?

running kaffeine from terminal I get:
    kaffeine: ERROR: KXineWidget: No codecs to handle media
    /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/apt/__init__.py:18: FutureWarning: apt API not stable yet
    warnings.warn("apt API not stable yet", FutureWarning)
    "not stable yet"???

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ok, not a fix, but a work-around. I installed format factory ( http://format-factory.en.softonic.com/ ) under wine and convert the non-playable avi's to mp4's, which play fine in kaffeine.
    I will go ahead and mark this as solved (altho it isn't) in the hopes that anyone else having this problem can use the work-around until a real fix comes along.