Thread: Only Root can unmount

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Only Root can unmount

Hi Guys,
    I need some help, I am really stupid and not a computer person. My hard drive won't mount, keeps coming up with the same error about root has to remount. I know it still sees it as I have checked on disc utility and also have checked that it is working. I have looked throu the forums and tried everything suggested. Any help would be welcome, please keep it very simple. Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Only Root can unmount

I don't really understand your problem.

It's about an external hdd right? What happens when you plug it in? Do you see it appearing in the file manager? Do you get a popup? When do you get the message "root has to remount"?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Only Root can unmount

Quote Originally Posted by Slush8 View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I need some help, I am really stupid and not a computer person. My hard drive won't mount, keeps coming up with the same error about root has to remount. I know it still sees it as I have checked on disc utility and also have checked that it is working. I have looked throu the forums and tried everything suggested. Any help would be welcome, please keep it very simple. Thank you.
    With the drive connected to your PC, in a terminal, type
    Code:
    sudo blkid
    I want to see if your drive has a name. And
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    to see how big is the drive
    Last edited by dcsoldschool53; June 16th, 2011 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Adding "to see how big is the drive"