Thread: Asterisk 1.8 with MySQL Realtime Support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Asterisk 1.8 with MySQL Realtime Support

First of all let me say that this is not the only way to accomplish this, and there is not assurance that it will work for you. It did worked for me so I thought to share with community

Lets make yourself root otherwise you have to use sudo with each command(s) and have to type password in most cases
    sudo su
    Update the system and apply updates if there are any
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    Install all dependencies
    sudo apt-get install python-software-properties -y
    Import public key
    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 175E41DF
    Add repository so we can download asterisk 1.8
    sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://packages.asterisk.org/deb `lsb_release -cs` main"
    sudo add-apt-repository "deb-src http://packages.asterisk.org/deb `lsb_release -cs` main"
    Update repository and install any update if needed
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    Install Asterisk 1.8
    sudo apt-get install asterisk-1.8 -y
    Install DAHDI
    sudo apt-get install asterisk-dahdi -y
    That is it, we have sucessfully installed Asterisk 1.8
    Next part is to install LAMP package
    apt-get install mysql-server mysql-client apache2 php5 libapache2-mode-php5 phpmyadmin php5-mysql -y
    Once done, restart all services or restart system
    service asterisk restart
    service mysql restart
    service apache2 restart
    Enjoy your new system and have fun with it
    I have scripted the whole process, feel free to download it
    In next part we are going to set asterisk up for MySQL realtime
    In this example, I am going to create two accounts and going to set them up so they can make/receive calls from each other. Both accounts will have voice mailboxes as well. I am using internal as my default context, feel free to change any setting
    So lets start
    Edit sip.conf file
    nano /etc/asterisk/sip.conf
    Add the following lines in it, the file is pretty long and has broad settings but everything is commented out of the box. Following line will set up basic operation to start and then later on you can go through the file and set the option(s) you need. You can add these lines right after [general] tag
    context=internal
    rtcachefriends=yes
    disallow=all
    allow=ulaw
    allow=ilbc
    Save the file and exit
    Now we need to edit extensions.conf file so all use in internal context can make/receive calls
    nano /etc/asterisk/extensions.conf
    Add the following line right after [general] tag, again the file have broad settings but this will setup the basic context[internal]
    [internal]
    switch => Realtime/@
    You can also add MySQL table name where all extensions are located i.e. switch => Realtime/@extensions
    Save the file and exit out of it
    Next we need to tell asterisk to look for MySQL database for users information
    Edit extconfig.conf file
    nano /etc/asterisk/extconfig.conf
    Add the following lines in it, I would just add them at the end of the file
    sipusers => mysql,asterisk,users ; SIP user
    sippeers => mysql,asterisk,users ; SIP peers
    extensions => mysql,asterisk,extensions ; SIP extensions
    voicemail => mysql,asterisk,voicemails ; SIP voicemailboxes
    queues => mysql,asterisk,queues ; SIP queue
    queue_members => mysql,asterisk,queue_members ; SIP queue members
    Now we need to tell asterisk to connect to MySQL to get all informations
    So edit res_config_mysql.conf file
    nano /etc/asterisk/res_config_mysql.conf
    Our database for this example is asterisk so add/append the following in that file
    [asterisk]
    dbhost = localhost
    dbname = asterisk
    dbuser = mysqluser
    dbpass = mysqlpass
    dbport = 3306
    dbsock = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
    requirements=warn ; or createclose or createchar
    Adjust dbuser and dbpass to your settings, this is mysql user privilage account. You can always use root for testing if you are not sure about the account
    Okay at this point our asterisk box is ready and all configured !
    Lastly we need to create database in mysql
    So connect to mysql and create database, first import the asterisk.sql script to create database and its related tables
    Now connect to mysql and create the database and its table using asterisk.sql script, replace mypassword with your root's password
    mysql -u root -pmypassword
    source asterisk.sql;
    All done!

Configure hard/soft sip phones and have fun !
    As always feel free to email me if you have any question(s). Sorry for any typo

You can also access this article via my website and via my blog
    Last edited by ryazkhan; June 12th, 2011 at 02:22 AM.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Asterisk 1.8 with MySQL Realtime Support

thank you for such a quick and easy setup.

only one thing should be changed in case of problem when trying to connect to mysql, use the below command and then enter you password

mysql --user=root --pass mysql

-> Enter you password here when asked

I have few questions

- we have installed phpmyadmin, why is that and how to access it.
    - Do we have Asterisk GUI, or how can we add with this installation ?

Beans

Re: Asterisk 1.8 with MySQL Realtime Support

and

can you help fixing this problem ?

res_config_mysql.c: Table queue_members not found in database. This table should exist if you're using realtime.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Hi aik2ka4,

Sorry for being late, to connect to mysql you can use
    mysql -u root -p
    Above will prompt you for password, you can also type the password right in command
    mysql -u root -pyourpassword
    Notice there is no space between -p and yourpassword

phpmyadmin is nice gui to access mysql database. You can access it via http://yourip/phpmyadmin and user is root and password would be your password

This installation does not comes with Asterisk GUI, I have not really played with it, like command line, my experience with GUI's are not so great . So would not be able to help here regarding that, sorry
    res_config_mysql.c: Table queue_members not found in database. This table should exist if you're using realtime simply mean you are missing one table so create it and you will be all set. Creating table is much easy via phpmyadmin. If you have used my sql script to create database then the table would be there, login to phpmyadmin and double check it

Hope it will help, let me know if you have any question(s). Feel free to email me
    Last edited by ryazkhan; July 6th, 2011 at 02:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

First of all, thank you for taking the time to write this up The following are some personal feelings I have from running Asterisk at home / work for a few years now.

FreePBX makes managed Asterisk much easier for the average person. I used to install my own Asterisk/Freepbx on top of Debian, now I skip all the setup, and download PBX in a Flash, and be ready to go in a couple of minutes.

Beans
    Distro

rubylaser,

Thank you for your kind words, appreciated

I values you feeling and agree with you, I did start to use that but my setup get complicated and those functions were not in PBX like using encrypted passwords, make complicated and hard to guess user names, assigning them extensions in such way that would be very hard to guess, and try not to store clear passwords in files etc..

There are all kind of people out there, I don't like that somebody will break into my phone line and start to abuse it so I try all weird but secure settings to make sure that it will take years to guess things out or crack things out, as you may know that VoIP has lot of fears around it

So I quite it and started to use command line and then MySQL, however I am in process of writing an Asterisk admin (GUI) keeping above mentioned things in mind

Beans

i always have this problem every time i login my sip

WARNING[6435]: config.c:2256 find_engine: Realtime mapping for 'sippeers' found to engine 'mysql', but the engine is not available

i followed the tutorials..pls help me i really need this to work..

thanks!!!

Beans

Hi ryazkhan,

Thanks for your great post for getting asterisk 1.8 direct from the digium repos.

There is one typo in the LAMP apt-get cmd

apt-get install mysql-server mysql-client apache2 php5 libapache2-mode-php5 phpmyadmin php5-mysql -y

Replace with

apt-get install mysql-server mysql-client apache2 php5 libapache2-mod-php5 phpmyadmin php5-mysql -y

Thanks again,

Tristan.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ryazkhan View Post
    First of all let me say that this is not the only way to accomplish this, and there is not assurance that it will work for you. It did worked for me so I thought to share with community

Lets make yourself root otherwise you have to use sudo with each command(s) and have to type password in most cases

Update the system and apply updates if there are any

Install all dependencies

Import public key

Add repository so we can download asterisk 1.8

Update repository and install any update if needed

Install Asterisk 1.8

Install DAHDI

That is it, we have sucessfully installed Asterisk 1.8
    Next part is to install LAMP package

Once done, restart all services or restart system

Enjoy your new system and have fun with it
    I have scripted the whole process, feel free to download it

In next part we are going to set asterisk up for MySQL realtime
    In this example, I am going to create two accounts and going to set them up so they can make/receive calls from each other. Both accounts will have voice mailboxes as well. I am using internal as my default context, feel free to change any setting
    So lets start
    Edit sip.conf file

Add the following lines in it, the file is pretty long and has broad settings but everything is commented out of the box. Following line will set up basic operation to start and then later on you can go through the file and set the option(s) you need. You can add these lines right after [general] tag

Save the file and exit
    Now we need to edit extensions.conf file so all use in internal context can make/receive calls

Add the following line right after [general] tag, again the file have broad settings but this will setup the basic context[internal]

You can also add MySQL table name where all extensions are located i.e. switch => Realtime/@extensions
    Save the file and exit out of it
    Next we need to tell asterisk to look for MySQL database for users information
    Edit extconfig.conf file

Add the following lines in it, I would just add them at the end of the file

Now we need to tell asterisk to connect to MySQL to get all informations
    So edit res_config_mysql.conf file

Our database for this example is asterisk so add/append the following in that file

Adjust dbuser and dbpass to your settings, this is mysql user privilage account. You can always use root for testing if you are not sure about the account
    Okay at this point our asterisk box is ready and all configured !
    Lastly we need to create database in mysql
    So connect to mysql and create database, first import the asterisk.sql script to create database and its related tables

Now connect to mysql and create the database and its table using asterisk.sql script, replace mypassword with your root's password

All done!

Configure hard/soft sip phones and have fun !
    As always feel free to email me if you have any question(s). Sorry for any typo

You can also access this article via my website and via my blog

great guide for asterisk . thanks ,

is it possible to installed Asterisk 1.6 with the same tutorial ?

Beans
    Distro

Post Re: Asterisk 1.8 with MySQL Realtime Support

Quote Originally Posted by janiali View Post
    great guide for asterisk . thanks ,

is it possible to installed Asterisk 1.6 with the same tutorial ?
    Probably not, best way for 1.6 with MySQL real time would be to install it from source and then install addons from source code as well. Take a look this and this to compile and install asterisk and addons from source and configure asterisk for MySQL realtime