Thread: cd roms wont recognize

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

cd roms wont recognize

I've tried to install several games (diablo 2, diablo 2 LOD, dinerdash and plants vs zombies) and everythings fine up right up to the point where the disk either checks itself for validation or asks you to insert disk and it just wont recognize the disk
    1) yes they are REAL and not burnt
    2) all games worked in older versions
    3)the disk is mounted and shows on desktop
    any idea why?
    Last edited by zaphodbblx; June 12th, 2011 at 02:18 AM.
    I seem to be suffering from Spontaneous Massive Existence Failure,please contact me in another plane of existence!

Beans

Re: cd roms wont recognize

So you are trying to install these games in wine, and some of the larger games are spread across 2 cds, correct?

Beans
    Distro

Red face Re: cd roms wont recognize

yep! diablo 2 and diablo 2 LOD...they used to run in older versions but now im butting my head against a wall
    ps
    I'm on natty but this problem also occurred in the last 2 releases
    Last edited by zaphodbblx; June 12th, 2011 at 02:21 AM.
    I seem to be suffering from Spontaneous Massive Existence Failure,please contact me in another plane of existence!

Beans

I've run into this problem before! In wine, I have never gotten an install to work be inserting the second cd, so my solution was to copy ALL of the contents of both cds into 1 folder (yes... it may be slightly illegal to copy the contents of the cd like that, but as long as you aren't redistributing it, no harm done right? ) Then, once the contents of both cds are copied into that one folder, just run the setup exe and it should never ask you to insert a second cd. And of course, delete the folder with the cd contents when you are done

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by christoph411 View Post
    I've run into this problem before! In wine, I have never gotten an install to work be inserting the second cd, so my solution was to copy ALL of the contents of both cds into 1 folder (yes... it may be slightly illegal to copy the contents of the cd like that, but as long as you aren't redistributing it, no harm done right? ) Then, once the contents of both cds are copied into that one folder, just run the setup exe and it should never ask you to insert a second cd. And of course, delete the folder with the cd contents when you are done
    didnt work..oh well

Beans

Sorry, then I'm out of ideas...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by christoph411 View Post
    How did you copy all the contents?

when i tried to do this i recieved "There was an error copying the file into /home/scott/Downloads. Error opening file: Permission denied

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Wine supports multi-disc installers, but you have to tell it what to do sometimes. I think eject has some purpose in this regard.
    http://wiki.winehq.org/eject