Page 48 of 56 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up a Wacom Serial Tablet in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: HOW TO Set Up a Wacom Serial Tablet in Ubuntu

Favux
    ok it works on xubuntu 12.04 64bit!!!!
    i'm thinking of trying it in ubuntu 10.04 64bit is there any reason it wouldn't work with compiz draw on screen ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

ok it works on xubuntu 12.04 64bit!!!!
    Great! Nice job.
    is there any reason it wouldn't work with compiz draw on screen ?
    Don't recall anyone testing a serial tablet with Compiz Draw(?). It should work as far as I know.
    'm thinking of trying it in ubuntu 10.04 64bit
    With Lucid you have to use the patch(es) for xf86-input-wacom, not the serio kernel driver. See "Old serial tablet driver".

Beans

ok that worked to, so ubuntu 10.04 64bit , compiz draw on screen with 0608-r works!!!!
    thank you Favux

Beans

Hallo, I would like to use my old Wacom serial tablet Intuos (1).
    It is connected to /dev/ttyS0 - verified with gtkterm.

I used code from https://github.com/RoaldFre/wacom_serial5
    and tutorial at http://www.cipht.net/2011/07/02/waco...l-release.html.
    Tutorial is for wacom_serial.
    For wacom_serial5 was the steps almost the same.
    But tablet doesn't work. Please can you help me?

There is difference:
    At step 3 is needed file 70-serial-wacom.rules .
    It is not available at directory wacom_serial5-master with compiled files.
    There is
    Code:
    $ cat joystick-1.4.2/debian/inputattach/lib/udev/rules.d/40-inputattach.rules 
    # Attach Wacom W8001 devices
    SUBSYSTEM=="tty", KERNEL=="ttyS[0-9]*", ATTRS{id}=="FUJ02e5", ACTION=="add|change", RUN+="/lib/udev/inputattach --daemon --baud 19200 --w8001 /dev/%k"
    SUBSYSTEM=="tty", KERNEL=="ttyS[0-9]*", ATTRS{id}=="WACf00c", ACTION=="add|change", RUN+="/lib/udev/inputattach --daemon --baud 38400 --w8001 /dev/%k"
    But is should be to other type (?): w8001

So I used 70-serial-wacom.rules from http://cipht.net/releases/wacom_serial-120327-1.tar.bz2 (main for tutorial).
    Code:
    $ cat wacom_serial/70-serial-wacom.rules
    ACTION=="add|change", SUBSYSTEM=="pnp", ENV{PRODUCT}='13/3d/*', ENV{NAME}=="Wacom protocol IV serial tablet",SYMLINK+="input/wacom",ENV{ID_INPUT}="1",ENV{ID_INPUT_TABLET}="1"
    Code:
    $ sudo cp 70-serial-wacom.rules /etc/udev/rules.d
    Is it correct for Intuos (1)?

Next:
    When I use
    Code:
    $ sudo inputattach --wacom_iv /dev/ttyS0
    there was no response. (Needed Ctrl-C for prompt.)
    Is it normal?

I see:
    Code:
    $ tail /var/log/kern.log
    Nov 18 00:32:49 pclu kernel: [11626.415024] serio: Serial port ttyS0
    Nov 18 00:32:49 pclu kernel: [11626.420371] input: TSC-10/25/40 Serial TouchScreen as /devices/pnp0/00:0c/tty/ttyS0/serio1/input/input6
    or same:
    Code:
    $ dmesg | tail
    [11626.415024] serio: Serial port ttyS0
    [11626.420371] input: TSC-10/25/40 Serial TouchScreen as /devices/pnp0/00:0c/tty/ttyS0/serio1/input/input6
    kernel module was loaded:
    Code:
    $ lsmod | grep wacom
    wacom_serial5          16969  0
    I use 64 bit xubuntu:
    Code:
    $ uname -a
    Linux pclu 3.2.0-33-generic #52-Ubuntu SMP Thu Oct 18 16:29:15 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    $ lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
    Release:    12.04
    Codename:    precise
    Thanks for help
    Last edited by indri; November 18th, 2012 at 02:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi indri,

Please follow my instructions after the OR for an Intuos rather than tokenrove's.

You do not actually need a udev rule. And roaldfre never developed one for wacom_v.

Also you need to use:
    Code:
    sudo inputattach --wacom_v /dev/ttyS0
    for an Intuos.

Thanks for pointing out gtkterm.

Beans

Hi Favux,
    tablet works! Thanks!

But first after folowing your instructions (after OR at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1780154), there was working position of pen, but not pressure. Tested in MyPaint and GIMP 2.6.x (but in GIMP forgotten use menu Edit->InputDevices). Minimally in MyPaint it did not work. But text selecting and click to menu was OK.

When I saw old version of GIMP and info that in Ubuntu 12.10 (quantal) repository is version 2.8.x then I upgraded my Xubuntu.

After copying wacom_serial5.ko to /lib/... ; sudo depmod -a; in linuxconsoletools-1.4.3: sudo PREFIX=/usr make install; sudo inputattach --wacom_v /dev/ttyS0 tablet did not work. Probably newer library versions was needed (?).

So I used clean directory of wacom_serial5-master (and linuxconsoletools-1.4.3); make all; sudo cp wacom_serial5.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet; sudo depmod -a; cd ../linuxconsoletools-1.4.3; patch -p1 < ../wacom_serial5-master/inputattach.patch; make; sudo PREFIX=/usr make install; cd ..; sudo inputattach --wacom_v /dev/ttyS0 and tablet started to work.

PS: Also thanks to tokenrove for wacom_serial5-master.

Notes and questions:

1) Patching is probably intended for version 1.4.2. With newer version there is offset: linuxconsoletools-1.4.3$ patch -p1 < ../wacom_serial5-master/inputattach.patch
    patching file inputattach.patch
    patching file utils/inputattach.c
    Hunk #1 succeeded at 553 (offset 94 lines).
    Hunk #2 succeeded at 705 (offset 106 lines).
    patching file utils/serio-ids.h

2) Copy of file wacom_serial5.ko to /lib/modules/`uname -r`... will be needed after each automatic upgrade of kernel. It can be relatively often. (But it looks better to use /lib/... then command insmod after each reboot.) Is there some other way?

3) After 'sudo inputattach --wacom_v /dev/ttyS0' program did not jump into prompt. Is it normal?

Beans
    Distro

Hi Indri,

Good!

You might have needed to do a make clean before recompiling the patched linuxconsole.

1) Offsets are OK. If the patch fails then a newer patch would be needed.
    2) Yes, you could set up a dkms for wacom_serial5.ko. I haven't done that. An example dkms for wacom.ko is attached to the Linuxwacom HOW TO with instructions in appendix 2. You would have to adapt it.
    3) Yes because the process is still running. That's why to set it up "permanently" you add the inputattach command to rc.local.

Beans

Hi,

Please forgive my intrusion among some folks who obviously are quite busy doing work which is much beyond my capability.

I am trying to compile the wacom_serial.c against the 2.6.33.2 kernel in Lucid. When doing "make all", my gcc v4.4.3 compiler lists an error at line 144 like so:

/wacom_serial/wacom_serial.c:144: error: implicit declaration of function 'input_abs_set_res'

What can I do to get beyond that point? My goal is to regain the use of a Wacom Digitizer 2 serial tablet.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Visioneer,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

The idea for Lucid is to use the xf86-input-wacom patch set [v3]xf86-input-wacom-0.10.6_serial-patches to get the old serial driver rather than use a wacom_serial.ko kernel serio driver. That is in the second part of the HOW TO.

But in the first part of the HOW TO you can use the wacom_serial.ko linked in "Note for tokenrove's protocol 4 serial_wacom.ko in Lucid or Maverick" under "a) Download and compile the protocol 4 wacom_serial.ko - by tokenrove" if you would like. It explains why you are seeing the error.

Beans

Favux,

Thank you for the rapid and courteous reply. I'm sorry that I didn't make my post clearer (It is my first). What I have done is exactly what you suggest. I am working with Tokenrove's wacom_serial-110702-0.tar.gz. And you are right, the compiler does explain the error (an implicit declaration of a function). The problem is that my efforts to explicitly declare this function results in the compiler complaining about almost all of the other functions in wacom_serial.c.

My programming experience was in FORTRAN years ago. What I probably need now is to find a forum of C programmers and ask them to take a look at Tokenrove's wacom_serial.c.

You do this forum proud! Your response was quick and to the point and it was appreciated.
    Last edited by Visioneer; December 11th, 2012 at 04:25 PM.

Page 48 of 56 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast