Page 8 of 54 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up a Wacom Serial Tablet in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: HOW TO Set Up a Wacom Serial Tablet in Ubuntu

Yes, I typed the xsetwacom on 2 separate lines.

Code:
    xsetwacom get "stylus" all
    It replies with :

Code:
    And so on for many lines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Interesting. So what are we to make of that? That the new xsetwacom re-written for xf86-input-wacom doesn't work with the serial tablet stuff or is it just the button stuff?

Let's check that by trying the button commands as options in the xorg.conf instead. Remember to back up your current working xorg.conf. Since this version has the wacom stuff maybe change the extension name to say .bak2?

Try adding these two side button options in the stylus section:
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
        Driver        "wacom"
        Identifier    "stylus"
        Option        "Device"         "/dev/ttyS0"
        Option        "Type"           "stylus"
        Option        "ForceDevice"    "Serial"
        Option        "Button2"        "3"
        Option        "Button3"        "2"
    EndSection
    Then reboot of course.
    Last edited by Favux; July 10th, 2011 at 06:33 PM.

Beans

Just did what you've proposed.
    No luck.
    No change.

Beans
    Distro

Shoot.

Before we get too far into this is there a chance your rocker switch is broken? In other words do the side buttons work elsewhere, say in Windows?

I might have broken the stylus buttons with some of the changes I've made. Let's hope so because then we should be able to fix them. Most likely going from the 0.10.7 version 2 to version 3 patch set would be my guess. So you would have to compile with the v2 patch set and install and see if the side switch buttons now work.

But we would probably want to confirm that the stylus buttons worked with either version 2 (the original patch set) or version 3 of the xf86-input-wacom-0.10.6 patches. Because they may have been broken all along, at least for protocol V serial tablets like the Intuos2.

That's probably what you should check into next if you have the time and are willing to compile the driver again. The instructions for 0.10.6 are in appendix 1. So maybe start with v2 or v3 of 0.10.6 and if one of them works try v2 of the 0.10.7 patch set.
    Last edited by Favux; July 10th, 2011 at 11:16 PM.

Beans

YES !

So, as you suggested, I compiled xf86-input-wacom-0.10.6 with [v2] patches.
    And now, I have the pressure which works great.

And : One of the 2 rocker buttons which works too.

So the only remaining bit is the 2nd rocker button which doesn't work. But to be honest, it's not a big issue, because I don't use it much while drawing.

Let me know if you want me to test something.

Beans
    Distro

Excellent! Nice work! Thank you.

I would very much like you to move up the chain to help me find where it gets broken. That will help tell me if I broke it. If I did it I can probably fix it.

I'm assuming v3 for 0.10.6 will work since v2 does. My guess is so will v1 of the 0.10.7 patch set. If it breaks, both stylus side button and pressure, then that would likely mean the problem is with xf86-input-0.10.7. I'm hoping v2 will also work and I broke the side button with v3. That's assuming the pressure problem was introduced by xf86-input-0.10.7 and not the serial patch set for it, which v1 will tell us.

Beans

Hi guys!

I ordered an old Intuos1 tablet form eBay that arrived today. I thought it was a USB tablet, but it turned out to be serial >_<.

I have a (tiny) bit of experience in writing linux kernel drivers. I would like to implement protocol V for those Intuos 1 and 2 tablets based on the wacom_serial driver from tokenrove.

Does anybody have any pointers to the protocol specs for those tablets?

Beans

Ok, I managed to get mouse movement that correlated somehow to where I put the pen on the tablet. Did not change anything to the parsing of the protocol yet (still haven't found decent specs for it).

[Edit]
    Implemented a part of protocol V by copying from old wcmSerial code. Mouse movement and pressure work . Still lots of debug messages, slowing things down somewhat.
    Code at https://github.com/RoaldFre/wacom_serial5
    Last edited by roaldfre; July 13th, 2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: new link for repo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dreh View Post
    Hi tokenrove,
    thanks for all the effort you put into this. Unfortuantely an error persists:
    Very curious. Could you send me the output of the following commands:

Code:
    ls -l /lib/modules/2.6.35-30*/build
    find /lib/modules/2.6.35-30*/build/include -name bounds.h
    dpkg -l | grep linux-headers
    Sorry it's taken so long to sort this out!

Cheers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by roaldfre View Post
    Ok, I managed to get mouse movement that correlated somehow to where I put the pen on the tablet. Did not change anything to the parsing of the protocol yet (still haven't found decent specs for it).

[Edit]
    Implemented a part of protocol V by copying from old wcmSerial code. Mouse movement and pressure work . Still lots of debug messages, slowing things down somewhat.
    Code at https://github.com/RoaldFre/wacom_serial
    Awesome. The various versions of the linuxwacom serial driver are really the only reference I've found for the protocols. I'm going to write up a description of them on the linuxwacom.sf.net wiki sometime this week when I get another chance to work on it, but I'm thrilled that I don't have to write the Intuos driver blind.

Good luck.

Page 8 of 54 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast