Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up a Wacom Serial Tablet in Ubuntu

Beans

Smile Re: HOW TO Set Up a Wacom Serial Tablet in Ubuntu

As far as Natty/Intuos2 goes, I have an Intuos2 serial which I love dearly. I upgraded to Natty assuming it would work as it has done since Lucid for me, but just found out it's broken. So yes, I would be very interested, but sadly I am about as good at kernel development as a dead slug would be at repairing an F1 car.

Looking forward to any other Intuos2 users posting on this though!

Alex

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO Set Up a Wacom Serial Tablet in Ubuntu

Hi Alex,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

Quote Originally Posted by alexcrow
    I have an Intuos2 serial which I love dearly. I upgraded to Natty assuming it would work as it has done since Lucid for me, but just found out it's broken.
    Maybe you could consider installing a small Lucid or Maverick partition and helping out with the updated serial driver patchsets? We could use an Intuos2/protcol V tablet testing them. The legacy driver is feature complete and supports protocol V. Don't know how far we'll get with it but I know we'll get further with help. If we can get it running on 0.10.8 I think there is only a big variable renaming between 0.10.8 and Natty's 0.10.11.

And then when tokenrove or whoever comes out with a modern protocol V driver for Natty you could help test that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alexcrow View Post
    As far as Natty/Intuos2 goes, I have an Intuos2 serial which I love dearly. I upgraded to Natty assuming it would work as it has done since Lucid for me, but just found out it's broken. So yes, I would be very interested, but sadly I am about as good at kernel development as a dead slug would be at repairing an F1 car.
    I don't mind giving it a shot, keeping in mind that since I can't test it at all locally, we'd be doing a lot of back and forth with people like you testing incremental, tiny changes.

Let me get any kinks that come up sorted out of the protocol IV driver this week, and then I'll see about doing a protocol V driver.

Thanks Favux for updating the post to link to my driver. Any feedback from users with protocol IV devices would be appreciated, as I would like to improve it quickly to the point where the current painful situation for serial users can be resolved.

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tokenrove View Post
    Any feedback from users with protocol IV devices would be appreciated, as I would like to improve it quickly to the point where the current painful situation for serial users can be resolved.
    Cheers.
    Hi Favux, tokenrove,
    sry for beeing silent. I shrinked my LVM and miscalculated the GB size - had to reinstall Ubuntu from scratch. I'm gonna test the new serial driver and the v3rc1 patch today.
    j.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Johannes,

Welcome back! Yes, working on partitions always has me biting my fingernails.
    I'm gonna test the new serial driver and the v3rc1 patch today.
    Great! I can't work on the second 0.10.8 commit until I get feedback on rc1v3 since it affects files changed in rc1v3. And tokenrove will appreciate feedback on his new driver too.

Beans
    Distro

Any feedback from users with protocol IV devices would be appreciated, as I would like to improve it quickly to the point where the current painful situation for serial users can be resolved.
    Cheers.
    Hello tokenrove,
    my compile fails with:
    Code:
    bash:>sudo make all
    HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
      HOSTCC  scripts/basic/docproc
      HOSTCC  scripts/basic/hash
      HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/conf.o
    scripts/kconfig/conf.c: In function ‘conf_askvalue’:
    scripts/kconfig/conf.c:105: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fgets’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
    scripts/kconfig/conf.c: In function ‘conf_choice’:
    scripts/kconfig/conf.c:307: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fgets’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
      HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/kxgettext.o
      HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
      HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/conf
    scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/x86/Kconfig
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.35-30-server'
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.35-30-server'
      CHK     include/linux/version.h
      CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
      UPD     include/generated/utsrelease.h
    make[2]: *** No rule to make target `kernel/bounds.c', needed by `kernel/bounds.s'.  Stop.
    make[1]: *** [prepare0] Error 2
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    You need more infos? Are there some dependencies missing?

Linux ali 2.6.35-30-server #54-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 7 20:13:05 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux - Wacom Ud-1218 R Serial Tablet
    Johannes
    Last edited by dreh; July 6th, 2011 at 06:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Johannes and others interested in testing,

I have a release candidate for the version 3 patches. Because these patches are more likely to break things than anything previous I'll attach the 3 changed patches here. Just replace the corresponding v2 patch with the v3 patch. But keep the v2 patches! Then go ahead and compile as usual. Good luck!
    Congrats code works!
    J.

Beans
    Distro

Wow, that is excellent!

Alright, I'll post the official v3 patch set in a little bit. Please test that when you get a chance. I decided I should fix a typo I spotted, shouldn't break anything but...

We've now addressed 20 of the 40 comments, which I feel is pretty good. I think we'll call v3 the last of the 0.10.7 patch sets, at least for now. Unless we have to fix something or maybe get a wacom.conf serial snippet working.

On to 0.10.8!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dreh View Post
    Hello tokenrove,
    my compile fails with:
    Code:
    bash:>sudo make all
    You need more infos? Are there some dependencies missing?
    Thanks for trying it. This looks like you are building in the kernel directory. What you actually want to do is just build the module (run make all, without sudo, in the wacom_serial directory). You won't need sudo until you insmod the module.

Edit: in fact, it seems that this occurs when PWD isn't defined in the environment. Could you change the occurances of M=$(PWD) to M=$(shell pwd) in Makefile and try again?

Hope this helps, and let me know how it goes.
    Last edited by tokenrove; July 7th, 2011 at 01:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Sure your welcome! It failed again. Sorry I can't debug myself my coding skills are so poor.

Could you change the occurances of M=$(PWD) to M=$(shell pwd) in Makefile and try again?
    This is what I did:
    1. changed code
    2. make clean
    3. make all

Code:
    make all
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.35-30-server/build M=/home/johannes/Desktop/wacom/tokenrove/wacom_serial modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.35-30-server'
      CC [M]  /home/johannes/Desktop/wacom/tokenrove/wacom_serial/wacom_serial.o
    In file included from include/linux/gfp.h:4,
                     from include/linux/kmod.h:22,
                     from include/linux/module.h:13,
                     from /home/johannes/Desktop/wacom/tokenrove/wacom_serial/wacom_serial.c:31:
    include/linux/mmzone.h:18: fatal error: generated/bounds.h: No such file or directory
    compilation terminated.
    make[2]: *** [/home/johannes/Desktop/wacom/tokenrove/wacom_serial/wacom_serial.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/johannes/Desktop/wacom/tokenrove/wacom_serial] Error 2
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    What am I missing?
    J.

Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast