Page 42 of 56 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up a Wacom Serial Tablet in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO Set Up a Wacom Serial Tablet in Ubuntu

Hi dreh,

After looking at your udev info. I'm thinking for stand alone rules we could try the following for the matches: add ttyS port match (I agree with you), use SUBSYSTEMS=="pnp" instead of SUBSYSTEM=="pnp", instead of ATTRS{id} for the tablet ID we use either ENV{PRODUCT} or ENV{NAME}. We should only need one of the latter for a unique match. Continue to assign ID_INPUT and ID_INPUT_TABLET 1 (true) and move symlink to end. I'm not quite sure we need "ttyS[0-9]*". Since Natty, Ubuntu went from the standard 4 ports (ttyS0-ttyS3) to 32 ports (ttyS0-ttyS31). My guess is that had something to do with upstart. But we know yours is on ttyS0 and the only other port I've seen used is ttyS4.

match ID:
    Code:
    ACTION=="add|change", KERNEL=="ttyS[0-9]*", SUBSYSTEMS=="pnp", ENV{PRODUCT}=='13/3e/*', ENV{ID_INPUT}="1", ENV{ID_INPUT_TABLET}="1", SYMLINK="input/wacom"
    or match name:
    Code:
    ACTION=="add|change", KERNEL=="ttyS[0-9]*", SUBSYSTEMS=="pnp", ENV{NAME}=="Wacom protocol IV serial tablet", ENV{ID_INPUT}="1", ENV{ID_INPUT_TABLET}="1", SYMLINK="input/wacom"
    When we call inputattach from the rule we don't need the symlink and can substitute the inputattach commandline parameters for it.
    match ID:
    Code:
    # Attach Wacom legacy protocol IV serial tablets
    ACTION=="add|change", KERNEL=="ttyS[0-9]*", SUBSYSTEMS=="pnp", ENV{PRODUCT}=='13/3e/*', ENV{ID_INPUT}="1", ENV{ID_INPUT_TABLET}="1", RUN+="/lib/udev/inputattach --wacom_iv /dev/%k"
    or match name:
    Code:
    # Attach Wacom legacy protocol IV serial tablets
    ACTION=="add|change", KERNEL=="ttyS[0-9]*", SUBSYSTEMS=="pnp", ENV{NAME}=="Wacom protocol IV serial tablet", ENV{ID_INPUT}="1", ENV{ID_INPUT_TABLET}="1", RUN+="/lib/udev/inputattach --wacom_iv /dev/%k"
    And if inputattach doesn't start maybe try adding & to the rule as in:
    Code:
    RUN+="/lib/udev/inputattach --wacom_iv /dev/%k &"
    Last edited by Favux; April 29th, 2012 at 05:21 AM.

Beans

I am losing my UD-1212 after kernel updates to Oneiric.
    Shoud this be happening?
    Going through the driver compile routine restores the tablet.

BTW, I notice reference recently to multiple installs of inputattach.
    Most, if not all, of the frustration at getting my tablet working was due to an
    univited inputattach that was installed in /usr/local/bin/

Beans
    Distro

Hi bruis,
    I am losing my UD-1212 after kernel updates to Oneiric.
    Shoud this be happening?
    Going through the driver compile routine restores the tablet.
    Yes, when you copy the wacom_serial.ko in place:
    Code:
    sudo cp wacom_serial5.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet
    that's to the current kernel i.e. /lib/modules/`uname -r`/. So a new kernel installs a new /kernel directory tree and the module isn't in it.

We can fix that by implementing a dkms (dynamic kernel module support) of wacom_serial.ko and wacom_serial.ko5 if you are interested. Now that we're close to final form for both of them.
    BTW, I notice reference recently to multiple installs of inputattach.
    Most, if not all, of the frustration at getting my tablet working was due to an
    univited inputattach that was installed in /usr/local/bin/
    Thanks for reminding us. I should put that in the HOW TO, shouldn't I?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    We can fix that by implementing a dkms (dynamic kernel module support) of wacom_serial.ko and wacom_serial.ko5 if you are interested. Now that we're close to final form for both of them.
    Thanks, it's OK, good to hear it's in the pipeline. I'm happy to know nothing is going off the rails at my end.

Beans
    Distro

Favux, I've started the topic you requested here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1972163

Beans

Hi all. I have graphire 1 serial tablet and I'm use xubuntu 12.04 with 3.3.5 kernel. I compile kernel drivers and tablet works with some limitations. Pen is fully works but one of buttons does nothing and seems like eraser works only as second pen. Is there any patch for new xorg drivers? Or reason of it may be somewhere else?

Beans
    Distro

Hi Graiden,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

Pen is fully works but one of buttons does nothing
    Which version of wacom_serial did you use? What is the output of?
    Code:
    xsetwacom list
    Is there any patch for new xorg drivers?
    Any reasonably recent xf86-input-wacom should work. The 12.04 default is 0.14.0 which should be fine.
    seems like eraser works only as second pen.
    In Gimp, for example, have you tried pointing the eraser to the eraser icon in the tool palette on the left. After it assigns and you test it Save it in the tool palette.

Beans

wacom_serial with changes (0x3d to 0x3e) and inputattach from wacom_serial-120327-1.tar.bz2

xinput --list:
    Code:
    Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
      ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
      ↳ ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse                  id=10    [slave  pointer  (2)]
      ↳ Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet stylus       id=11    [slave  pointer  (2)]
      ↳ Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet eraser       id=12    [slave  pointer  (2)]
      ↳ Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet cursor       id=13    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    In gimp eraser and stylus both work as last picked tool (doesn't matter how it was selected).

Beans
    Distro

Alright.
    In gimp eraser and stylus both work as last picked tool (doesn't matter how it was selected).
    The Save isn't making the assignment to the eraser permanent? Do you see pressure when you draw a line?

What have you done to assign the stylus buttons? Have you tried?
    Code:
    xsetwacom set "Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet stylus" Button 2 3
    xsetwacom set "Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet stylus" Button 3 2
    Does that work?

Beans

Save isn't work. Pressure work well. To assign buttons I have two line in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/52-wacom-options.conf

Code:
    Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "Wacom stylus options"
        Option "Button 2" "3"
        Option "Button 3" "2"
    EndSection
    Button 2 binds as it should be. Button 3 bind command return no any error but it hasn't any effect.

Page 42 of 56 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast