Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up a Wacom Serial Tablet in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO Set Up a Wacom Serial Tablet in Ubuntu

Hi tokenrove,

I was wondering -- do you think that getting older Wacom tablets added to the input/serio code in the kernel (so you can "inputattach -wacom-ud /dev/ttyS0" for example) would be the right way to approach cleaning up detection?
    That would make sense to me actually. But it's Peter Hutterer's opinion that matters. So it is good you asked on devel.

By the way they have already implemented inputattach for wacom_w8001.ko touchscreens in input-wacom: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...le=Input-wacom on the Developer pages: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...:eveloperPages

So you may have a chunk of the work done for you already.

Beans
    Distro

Hi everyone,

I finally looked at getting the patch set to apply to xf86-input-wacom-0.10.8. It looks like there are 6 show stopper commits in a row all on 6-22-10.

I think it may be possible to muddle through to the sixth one, with a lot of luck. But with the 6th commit, "Move baud rate into ISDV4-specific backend." - http://linuxwacom.git.sourceforge.ne...75ecf45f89fb96, I'll probably have to keep wcmSerialSpeed in xf86WacomDefs.h and wcmCommon.c along with speed in wcmCommon.c. I don't think the serial tablets will allow getting the baud rate from the serial tablet equivalent of wcmISDV4Data that the commit changes to. But I'm not sure. So if anyone sees a way chime in.

If that breaks ISDV4 devices, i.e. serial tablet PCs, that would be a big problem. It would be good, if we ever get to that point, for someone to test a serial tablet PC with that hypothetical future patch set.

So even if after 0.10.8 it is smooth sailing to 0.11.1 that would likely be a problem for submission of the patch set. Not to mention the error messages need to be fixed and the requested look up tables, etc. Of course tokenrove may by then have code that obviates those problems.

But for now I've gotten way ahead of things. Hopefully folks will start using the patch sets and supply feed back sometime soon.

Beans

I got these lines in my /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

I) LoadModule: “wacom”
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/wacom_drv.so
    dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/wacom_drv.so: undefined symbol: gWacomSerialDevice
    (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/

Then I tried "aclocal && automake && autoconf" before ".configure" and "make" and "make install".

Now the pen is working perfectly, even the pressure sensitivity is 100% OK.

I have Lucid and ET-0405-R tablet.
    Last edited by timonoko; June 29th, 2011 at 01:41 PM. Reason: details

Beans
    Distro

Hi timonoko,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

Outstanding! Thank you for the feedback.

I am assuming you used the [v3]xf86-input-wacom-0.10.6_serial-patches for xf86-input-wacom-0.10.6 on Lucid. Am I correct? With the aclocal && automake && autoconf commands.

Would you mind, while the tablet is working, running the commands xinput list and udevadm info -a -p $(udevadm info -q path -n /dev/ttyS0) and posting the outputs?

Also it may help if you supply any specifications on your Graphire ET-0405-R you have. Stylus has how many side buttons? Eraser? Wacom mouse? Tablet active area in mm or inches? Baud rate? Etc.

Are you planning on testing the 0.10.7 patch set?

Beans

I made everything just like this HOWTO said. I found this aclocal-stuff by Googling "gWacomSerialDevice".

$ xinput list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
    ⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ stylus id=6 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ eraser id=7 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ cursor id=8 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Macintosh mouse button emulation id=15 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ EL USB Keyboard id=12 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ USB Optical Mouse id=16 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button id=9 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button id=10 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Sirius USB2.0 Camera id=13 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Sirius USB2.0 Camera id=14 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ EL USB Keyboard id=11 [slave keyboard (3)]

~$ udevadm info -a -p $(udevadm info -q path -n /dev/ttyS0)
    Udevadm info starts with the device specified by the devpath and then
    walks up the chain of parent devices. It prints for every device
    found, all possible attributes in the udev rules key format.
    A rule to match, can be composed by the attributes of the device
    and the attributes from one single parent device.

looking at device '/devices/pnp0/00:08/tty/ttyS0':
    KERNEL=="ttyS0"
    SUBSYSTEM=="tty"
    DRIVER==""

looking at parent device '/devices/pnp0/00:08':
    KERNELS=="00:08"
    SUBSYSTEMS=="pnp"
    DRIVERS=="serial"

looking at parent device '/devices/pnp0':
    KERNELS=="pnp0"
    SUBSYSTEMS==""
    DRIVERS==""

ET-0405-R has stylus and mouse. Stylus has eraser and two buttons. Tablet area is 12 mm wide.

The sensitivity curve feels better than it was in Jaunty. The Gimp ink flows more smoothly, just like in Windows and Photoshop.
    Last edited by timonoko; June 29th, 2011 at 04:26 PM. Reason: details

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the outputs and specifications. I really appreciate it.

The sensitivity curve feels better than it was in Jaunty. The Gimp ink flows more smoothly, just like in Windows and Photoshop.
    Sweet.

I'm not sure about a serial snippit in wacom.conf with just ttyS* to match to, so we might need to stay with the xorg.conf.

Would you be willing to try "Serial" instead of "SERIAL" on the ForceDevice option lines in xorg.conf and see if it still works?

I made everything just like this HOWTO said. I found this aclocal-stuff by Googling "gWacomSerialDevice".
    That was nice work. Thanks for the tip. I just started looking at that and trying to figure out why you need to run those extra commands. I think your the first person to report that. Is it possible, by any chance, that you didn't get all of the dependency line like autoconf? It extends way to the right of the box and some folks accidently cut it off when they copy and paste.
    sudo apt-get install build-essential libx11-dev libxi-dev x11proto-input-dev xserver-xorg-dev libxrandr-dev libncurses5-dev xutils-dev autoconf libtool pkg-config libudev-dev

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Would you be willing to try "Serial" instead of "SERIAL" on the ForceDevice option lines in xorg.conf and see if it still works?
    Changed one of them, works OK.

Is it possible, by any chance, that you didn't get all of the dependency line like autoconf? It extends way to the right of the box and some folks accidently cut it off when they copy and paste.
    I pasted the stuff into a file and applied chmod+x and run it. And the file is OK.

-- I realize now however that this might cause errors, because pasting stuff directly onto command line uses same set of environmental variables.

Beans
    Distro

Changed one of them, works OK.
    Good! Could you please change all of them to "Serial" and see if the tablet still works. I'm trying to figure out if the code is case specific, i.e. requires "SERIAL" for version 2 of the 0.10.7 patch. If it is we would need a small change to a line in the code. If not we're good to go.
    Code:
    I pasted the stuff into a file and applied chmod+x and run it. And the file is OK.

-- I realize now however that this might cause errors, because pasting stuff directly onto command line uses same set of environmental variables.
    Alright, that could be it. I did find another report on Ubuntu forums about that error. I thought that was because he was using a serial-to-usb converter and had some other issues. I'm assuming you found the fix here: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...cs-tablet.html

Hopefully we don't need the fix. But if we do have to generate a new aclocal.m4 because we've added new files and whatnot no big deal. I can just add:
    Code:
    aclocal && automake && autoconf
    to the instructions.

Beans

Could you please change all of them to "Serial" and see if the tablet still works. I'm trying to figure out if the code is case specific, i.e. requires "SERIAL" for version 2 of the 0.10.7 patch. If it is we would need a small change to a line in the code. If not we're good to go.
    Changed all. Works OK.

I'm assuming you found the fix here: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...cs-tablet.html
    I think it was here: http://codelab.wordpress.com/2010/02/21/wacom-hacking/

Beans
    Distro

Changed all. Works OK.
    Great! Ready to bring out version 2 of the 0.10.7 patch set then. As soon as someone tests version 1.
    Code:
    I think it was here: http://codelab.wordpress.com/2010/02/21/wacom-hacking/
    Sure enough according to WWWWolf:
    I was boundlessly confused by the missing gWacomSerialDevice symbol. Then I realised that that source file in question wasn’t even compiled. And that’s completely expected – the reference was added to Makefile.am but it’s not in the auto-generated build scripts. You need to re-run autotools to update the files.
    That makes sense. I'll update the instructions to include re-generating the build scripts then. Thank you very much!

Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast