Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up a Wacom Serial Tablet in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO Set Up a Wacom Serial Tablet in Ubuntu

Thanks. Well you want to use the new rules Peter just came up with. Not an old Ubuntu Jaunty(?) rule.

I was hoping the problem you were having was due to the old rules that lennart pointed out had problems. Things have been a little flaky for serial tablet PCs since Lucid and I sort of was hoping that was the issue, or part of it. The new rules in 70 should be overriding the old rules in 69 but maybe you should comment those out just in case?

The old serial ISDV4 rules in 69-xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules for Lucid, Maverick, and Natty are at the top before the script starts:
    Code:
    # Catch the serial tablets and tell X that's what they are
    ACTION=="add|change", SUBSYSTEM=="pnp", ATTR{id}=="WACf*", ENV{NAME}="Serial Wacom Tablet"
    ACTION=="add|change", SUBSYSTEM=="pnp", ATTR{id}=="FUJ*", ENV{NAME}="Serial Wacom Tablet"
    ACTION=="add|change", SUBSYSTEMS=="pnp", ATTRS{id}=="WACf*", ENV{ID_INPUT}="1", ENV{ID_INPUT_TABLET}="1"
    ACTION=="add|change", SUBSYSTEMS=="pnp", ATTRS{id}=="FUJ*", ENV{ID_INPUT}="1", ENV{ID_INPUT_TABLET}="1"
    This is where I figured tokenrove or roaldfre would want to add their new rule in Natty or I could add the legacy serial tablet rule for Lucid and Maverick. Although actually Ubuntu should do that and we should be in /etc as you're now doing.

If that doesn't do anything, and it doesn't seem likely, I'm stumped. My guess is something got messed up in the upgrade chain. Of course the only way to test that would be to do a fresh install of Maverick.

You might want to try and post the problem to linuxwacom-discuss: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/...xwacom-discuss Folks who know more than I do hang out there and tend to be helpful.

Beans

I tried putting the rules into 69-xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules before on Lucid also. Repeating it on Maverick did not help either, as you expected.

I will try a new installation of Maverick, and if this also does not help, I will follow your suggestion and contact linuxwacom-discuss. In any case, I will post any further findings here. For now, many thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Ralf.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

THANKS EVERYONE for your Work
    New
    wacom_serial5.ko for Protocol V devices on my Intuos GD-0405-R Works
    Natty Narwhal and kernel 2.6.38.10
    Not yet deeply tested, but i needed to thumbs up
    Ok in Gimp

Let me know if you need some feedback (output of some cryptic commands)

The script i need to create for autolaunch is related to the "insmod ./wacom_serial5.ko" and/or "input attach" instructions, right ? did i miss some ?

Thanks again
    =D>

Beans
    Distro

Hi again firstattempt,

Excellent!

Yes please test some more. I'm sure roaldfre will want to discuss things with you, so keep an eye on this thread for his response.
    Let me know if you need some feedback (output of some cryptic commands)
    What is the output of:
    Code:
    udevadm info -a -p $(udevadm info -q path -n /dev/ttyS0)
    in a terminal? If I have the input path correct. Also let's take a peek at the following terminal commands:
    Code:
    xinput list

xsetwacom list

dmesg | grep [Ww]acom

dmesg | grep serial

ls -l /dev/input/by-path
    Please post the outputs. Thanks.

The script i need to create for autolaunch is related to the "insmod ./wacom_serial5.ko" and/or "input attach" instructions, right ? did i miss some ?
    I would think it is the inputattach command. The wacom_serial5.ko should autoload. If not it is easy to fix. What is the output of?:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep serial
    or if that returns nothing just lsmod.

What command are you using for inputattach?

By the way was using the Linux Console download OK. Or would you prefer a separate inputattach only?
    Last edited by Favux; August 9th, 2011 at 05:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro

hi
    was using the Linux Console download OK. Or would you prefer a separate inputattach only?
    Not sure about what you are talking about ? i used the linuxconsoletools-1.4.1 and patched via "patch -p1 < ~/Desktop/path-to-roaldfre's-wacom_serial5-folder/inputattach.patch"

i'm using
    sudo inputattach --wacom_v /dev/ttyS0
    changed "wacom_iv" to "wacom_v" here

lsmod | grep serial gives :
    wacom_serial5 16870 0

udevadm info -a -p $(udevadm info -q path -n /dev/ttyS0)
    looking at device '/devices/pnp0/00:0f/tty/ttyS0':
    KERNEL=="ttyS0"
    SUBSYSTEM=="tty"
    DRIVER==""

looking at parent device '/devices/pnp0/00:0f':
    KERNELS=="00:0f"
    SUBSYSTEMS=="pnp"
    DRIVERS=="serial"
    ATTRS{id}=="PNP0501"

looking at parent device '/devices/pnp0':
    KERNELS=="pnp0"
    SUBSYSTEMS==""
    DRIVERS==""

xinput list
    Code:
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ ImExPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse               id=9    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet stylus       id=10    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet eraser       id=11    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet cursor       id=12    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet pad          id=13    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                 id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                                id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                                id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
    xsetwacom list
    Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet stylus id: 10 type: STYLUS
    Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet eraser id: 11 type: ERASER
    Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet cursor id: 12 type: CURSOR
    Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet pad id: 13 type: PAD

dmesg | grep [Ww]acom
    [ 3432.128042] input (null): Wacom tablet: Intuos, version 1.2
    [ 3432.140181] input: Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet as /devices/pnp0/00:0f/tty/ttyS0/serio3/input/input4
    [ 9143.332032] input (null): Wacom tablet: Intuos, version 1.2
    [ 9143.344181] input: Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet as /devices/pnp0/00:0f/tty/ttyS0/serio4/input/input5

dmesg | grep serial
    [ 3432.140181] input: Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet as /devices/pnp0/00:0f/tty/ttyS0/serio3/input/input4
    [ 9143.344181] input: Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet as /devices/pnp0/00:0f/tty/ttyS0/serio4/input/input5

ls -l /dev/input/by-path
    total 0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2011-08-09 15:46 platform-i8042-serio-0-event-kbd -> ../event2
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2011-08-09 15:46 platform-i8042-serio-1-event-mouse -> ../event3
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2011-08-09 15:46 platform-i8042-serio-1-mouse -> ../mouse0

Hope it could be of some help

(stylus, eraser and pressure sensitivity works in Gimp)

Beans
    Distro

Thank you firstattempt for providing that baseline! That definitely helps.
    stylus, eraser and pressure sensitivity works in Gimp
    Great!

At some point I'd like to look into variations of the rule in 70-serial-wacom.rules but I think I should wait until roaldfre asks his questions.
    i used the linuxconsoletools-1.4.1 and patched via "patch -p1 < ~/Desktop/path-to-roaldfre's-wacom_serial5-folder/inputattach.patch"
    Basically I was just asking whether you would want to compile intputattach by itself rather than it and the other joy stick stuff in Linux Console.

Oh and just to be sure, you are using the default 50-wacom.conf in xorg.conf.d and not a xorg.conf, correct?
    Last edited by Favux; August 9th, 2011 at 06:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro

humm, i guess in a perfect world compiling intputattach by itself would be the way to go but honestly downloading and compiling linuxconsoletools wasn't a big deal, at all ! a few seconds ... you may have other priorities ...
    Making myself comfortable with the instructions to build that "driver" was way more challenging, but that could be me

Yes i didn't touch to xorg.conf so 50-wacom.conf was used
    Thanks for pointing it out to me I was about to dig into xsetwacom and such

Beans
    Distro

All right. Well I wouldn't do it today, I was just thinking it might simplify it for some folks. Input-wacom has a stand alone inputattach. I was thinking a pre-patched stand alone inputattach would make things easier for some folks. For sure if you have suggestions on how to improve the instructions let me know.

Here's some stuff on using xsetwacom to configure or you could use 52-wacom-options. But I'd go with xsetwacom since I doubt you're hot plugging. Or does "hot plugging" work for you? Can you turn the tablet off and on and it still works in other words?:
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...itle=Xsetwacom
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik..._Configuration
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...le=Xorg.conf.d
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...Category:HOWTO

Beans
    Distro

Hot plugging ! i didn't even thought it would be an option ...
    just tried and well cursor went crazy for a few seconds as soon as i get the pen close to the tablet (not even touching) then freeze, freezing mouse as well for a few seconds and going back to normal ... BUT
    when back to normal, killing the inputattach process and restarting it makes the tablet fully functional again
    (btw i need to start inputattach and issue insmod command for the tablet to work at session start up)

Instructions were pretty good ! i was referring at those lonely moments when striding along some new territories
    Maybe adding some ways to find the path to the device for the serial port to which the tablet is attached, i think i was lucky on that one : /dev/ttyS0 (i have only one serial port - a serial board - so i made a wild guess that ttyS0 should be fine )

Thanks for the links !

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for being brave and trying the hot plug experiment. Sounds like you had fun. Alright so no hot plug because inputattach has to be restarted.
    btw i need to start inputattach and issue insmod command for the tablet to work at session start up
    A way to automatically start inputattach would be nice. We'll see what roaldfre or tokenrove has to say on auto-starting it. Without the sudo that would be easy.

Let's see if we can fix the insmod since that shouldn't be necessary. I assume before you issue insmod that:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep serial
    doesn't show wacom_serial5.ko. First with it running try to rebuild the module dependencies and see if it will auto-load then:
    Code:
    sudo depmod -a
    Try a reboot and see if it is there with the lsmod. If not try the following.

Some kernel modules won't load on some systems for whatever reason. You can force it to load by adding it to the list in modules in /etc. So just add wacom_serial5 to the bottom of the list:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modules
    Save, close and reboot.
    Maybe adding some ways to find the path to the device for the serial port to which the tablet is attached
    Alright, let me think about that one. And let me know if anything else comes to mind.

Edit: Could you run:
    Code:
    sudo dmesg | grep ttyS
    and check if that tells you what serial port is active? If so it seems like a good way to get it for inputattach. Run it before you start inputattach, but I don't think it'll matter either way.
    Last edited by Favux; August 10th, 2011 at 01:16 PM.

Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast