Page 11 of 54 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up a Wacom Serial Tablet in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO Set Up a Wacom Serial Tablet in Ubuntu

Super, thanks Gizmoatwork! That's the information I was waiting for.

So I think we're almost ready to call v3 the "official" 0.10.6 patch set and take down the original or v2 patch set.

OK, I really didn't change anything for 0.10.7 v1 other than break the second giant 0.10.6 patch into 6 patches.

That means there are two issues starting with 0.10.7:
    1) Pressure is wonky.
    2) Stylus side buttons don't work.

Now we need to figure out if the pressure problem is a general 0.10.7 bug or something to do with the patch. Ironically one of the reasons to go to 0.10.7 is it had a pressure bug fix. But pressure works better with the buggy xf86-input-wacom-0.10.6! Interesting to note 0.10.8 also has a bug fix for pressure.

The stylus side buttons seem more likely a problem with not updating something in the patch set. I'll try to go back through the 0.10.6+ commits and see if I can figure out what I missed. Hopefully it's something simple like a variable renaming.

Edit: Hmmm. Cripes. Is it the "Change WacomModel->name check to WacomModel->tablet_type" commit that's breaking things?: http://linuxwacom.git.sourceforge.ne...3c24539b5529e3 I sure hope not because that looks like a bear.
    Last edited by Favux; July 13th, 2011 at 03:49 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by roaldfre View Post
    It is indeed more tidy to keep them separated, and the overlapping pieces of code are not *that* unwieldy to keep in-sync between our versions, I guess. (I do have some experience with projects that have different branches that heavily rely on the same code. They all started diverging too much in that shared code and it now is an incredible mess to get them back together at the same level -- that's what I *really* want to avoid with this driver.)
    I think the common code is unlikely to change much. In fact, your driver should end up cleaner than mine since so much of the model switching can be eliminated, and much of the configuration requesting. Are you running inputattach at a faster baud rate than 9600? AFAICT from the old code, the Intuos should be able to go at 19200, at least. (BTW, that's one thing to sort out -- I still need to add the proper reset sequence to inputattach, which I suspect will help Penpartner support on the protocol IV side)

Renaming the modules is a good idea. My plan was to do some revisions to mine after I got a few people testing things, and then once things are stabilized, aim to get it into the mainline kernel. On that note, you should keep an eye on the linuxwacom-devel mailing list if you don't already; some of the messages there when I announced my driver prefigure some changes I need to make to how I'm sending events. I unfortunately haven't had a lot of time to work on it -- but on the plus side, I've been using my own tablet every day with no problems.

Cheers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dreh View Post
    This did the trick! Tokenroves driver works with my tablet. One nit the eraser doesn't work as expected but maybe I have to get familiar with the new xsetwacom parameters.

Please help me to understand this driver will be possible to use in natty/oneiric with unity? Where could we be in some time - the 2 new serial wacom files will go upstream?
    Great, I'm very glad to hear it's working, at least in the most basic form. Any discrepencies you discover, just describe them to me as best as possible and I will try to track them down. The eraser has worked well for me, but I only use it a little. Unfortunately, I know almost nothing about xsetwacom, too.

By the way, do you know if your tablet is supposed to have tilt support? I know how to implement it, I just haven't bothered as I don't think my own tablet handles it. (Then again, the old driver appears to have had tilt-in-protocol-IV support cut out many years ago, so I wouldn't have known.)

I don't know about release schedules of various things, but my own plan is to give a generous period for testing to shake out any problems with the driver, then attempt to get it into the kernel upstream (and likewise the patch for inputattach).

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro

Hi tokenrove,

In case you missed it inputattach is now in Linux Console as of April this year: http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxconsole/

Beans
    Distro

Hello tokenrove, hello favux and everyone else,
    I'm excited the serial wacom issue has so much activity. Thanks for all the work and information you provide. I'm overall impressed of community based-"engineering" and open source.

Now to work:
    Quote Originally Posted by tokenrove View Post
    Any discrepencies you discover, just describe them to me as best as possible and I will try to track them down.
    First. I initialize my tablet with the command sudo inputattach --wacom_iv /dev/ttyS0 - this command stays running or in other words the shell hangs (sending the command to background with "&" don't function). If I Ctrl-C or mouseklick-close the shell my tablet stops working. Is this behavior intended?
    Second. the eraser won't work as a mousepointer (before it did). There's is no reaction to it other than in Gimp where the eraser is when in range of the tablet "unfocus" the paint tool. When you paint with i.e. brush you have a dotted circle (with cirlce tooltip) this vanishes if you get the eraser in range but still you can't "paint the erase color" or "mouse" over your screen.

By the way, do you know if your tablet is supposed to have tilt support? I know how to implement it, I just haven't bothered as
    Sry I can't provide any infos on this one - I had never tilt support (or not enabled).

Also sorry for my holperiges (bumpy) english.
    Johannes

Beans

I think the common code is unlikely to change much. In fact, your driver should end up cleaner than mine since so much of the model switching can be eliminated, and much of the configuration requesting. Are you running inputattach at a faster baud rate than 9600? AFAICT from the old code, the Intuos should be able to go at 19200, at least. (BTW, that's one thing to sort out -- I still need to add the proper reset sequence to inputattach, which I suspect will help Penpartner support on the protocol IV side)

Renaming the modules is a good idea. My plan was to do some revisions to mine after I got a few people testing things, and then once things are stabilized, aim to get it into the mainline kernel. On that note, you should keep an eye on the linuxwacom-devel mailing list if you don't already; some of the messages there when I announced my driver prefigure some changes I need to make to how I'm sending events. I unfortunately haven't had a lot of time to work on it -- but on the plus side, I've been using my own tablet every day with no problems.

Cheers.
    Hmm, I'll try running it at 19200 baud now. I'll also have a look at the mailing list.

My code can indeed be simplified considerably, as it seems I only need to support Intuos 1 and 2 (I found something about a serial Cintiq tablet being protocol 5 too? Only found a reference to it here: http://www.mail-archive.com/linuxwac.../msg03166.html - can anyone confirm that this needs to be included in my driver? I can't seem to find it in the old code that deals with protocol 5)

Regarding inputattach, are you planning to keep this as a dependency, or do you eventually want to move the initialization to the driver itself (could get messy again)? [Edit: nvm, should have read mailing list first ]
    Last edited by roaldfre; July 13th, 2011 at 10:05 AM.

Beans

19200 baud working now for protocol 5 (as of http://github.com/RoaldFre/wacom_ser...dbde311be31d61). Had to put some extra initialization code in inputattach.

I also renamed my repository from wacom_serial to wacom_serial5. New link for those who want to try it out: http://github.com/RoaldFre/wacom_serial5
    (@Favux: can the first post be edited to reflect this change?)
    Last edited by roaldfre; July 13th, 2011 at 01:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi roaldfre,

Link changed to reflect new repository name.

Yeah, I got confused about the Cintiqs. The newer usb ones are protocol 5 but apparently the original serial Cintiqs are protocol 4 i.e. no tool serial numbers.

Beans

Hi tokenrove, As Favux told me I'm try to install your custom developed wacom driver with your instructions on a system. As we have some computers to use I have no problem to make a fresh ubuntu install to begin with the process. What release is the recommended? 9.10 10.04 10.10, or another distribution.
    Thanks, Roberto

Beans

I just added support for both channels. However, I'm not quite sure what the effect of this should be? Obviously, I only have one mouse pointer. How can I test if both channels work properly? What should I expect?

Page 11 of 54 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast