Thread: How to create launcher items from scratch

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

How to create launcher items from scratch

I am hesitating to propose this tutorial, as I am probably one of the most inexperienced users of this forum. However, the numerous remarks on the (supposed) limited functionality of the Unity launcher give me the impression that many of the newest Ubuntu users (like me) are not aware of how easy it is to extend and modify the functionality of the Unity launcher.
    I hope it is of any help to complete newbees, but feel free to remove this post if it is not useful

This example shows how a new launcher is created from scratch, to quickly access some office-tools: calculator, special characters and tomboy notes (in this case). Of course you can fill-in any application, location, file or tool you want.

Good to know before you start:
    The functionality of launcher buttons is defined by .desktop files. These files are stored in /usr/share/applications, or in your home-folder, in ~/.local/share/applications. (~ is the path to your personal folder; in my case: /home/jacob). If the file exists in both locations, the one in your personal folder “overrules” the one in /usr/share/applications.
    1. Create a new file with gedit, and save it as “tools.desktop” in ~/.local/share/applications [this is a hidden directory by default, make it visible by pressing command+h]. You can give it any name, as long as it ends with .desktop.

2. Paste this text into the file:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Version=1.0
    Type=Application
    Terminal=false
    Exec=
    Name=tools
    Icon= /home/jacob/Thema/icon/officetools.png
    *Notes:

• The last line obviously defines the icon you want to show up in the launcher, pick an appropriate icon to your preference.
    • The “Exec” -entry can be left empty for now, it defines what happens if the icon is left-clicked.
    • On fresh installed systems, the directory ~/.local/share/applications may not exist yet, so you will have to make it then...

3. Now we'll define the entries that will appear when we right-click the icon in the launcher. Add this after the last line:

X-Ayatana-Desktop-Shortcuts=calculator;special characters;tomboy notes;
    -to define the entries,
    and after that:

[calculator Shortcut Group]
    Name=calculator
    Exec=gcalctool

[special characters Shortcut Group]
    Name=special characters
    Exec=gucharmap

[tomboy notes Shortcut Group]
    Name=tomboy notes
    Exec=tomboy –search
    - to make the entries show up, when the icon is right-clicked.
    *Note
    you can find the appropriate Execute-command as follows: open the /usr/share/applications -directory and find the icon of the program of your choice, right click on it and in the “properties” you will find the command to open the application.

Save and close the tools.desktop file, navigate to the containing directory (hidden by default, press command-h to show all folders) and drag it onto the launcher. Done!
    it should look something like this, when you right-click on it:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1155139/Schermafdruk-1.png

*Tips

1. if you have a lot of entries, you can add dividers, by making an empty entry ( X-Ayatana-Desktop-Shortcuts -definition + Shortcut Group), with “------------------------------” as “Name” (in the Shortcut-Group), and leave the “Exec” entry empty.
    2. To easily edit the file, add an “edit” -entry, so you won't have to open the terminal to edit.

The complete contents of the file would look like this:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Version=1.0
    Type=Application
    Terminal=false
    Exec=
    Name=Office tools
    Icon= /home/jacob/Thema/icon/officetools.png

X-Ayatana-Desktop-Shortcuts=calculator;special characters;tomboy notes;divider;edit;

[calculator Shortcut Group]
    Name=calculator
    Exec=gcalctool

[special characters Shortcut Group]
    Name=special characters
    Exec=gucharmap

[tomboy notes Shortcut Group]
    Name=tomboy notes
    Exec=tomboy –search

[divider Shortcut Group]
    Name=-----------------------------
    Exec=

[edit Shortcut Group]
    Name=edit
    Exec=gedit /home/jacob/.local/share/applications/tools.desktop
    the result would be like this:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1155139/Schermafdruk-2.png

examples of Execute -entries:

to go to a directory:
    Exec=nautilus /path-to-directory
    to go to a website:
    Exec=firefox -new-window http://ubuntuforums.org/
    to open a specific file:
    Exec=command-to-open-application /path-to-file/name-of-the-file

I hope it is of any help to anyone!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jacobonbuntu; June 15th, 2011 at 08:02 PM.