Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kickstarting an openbox project

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Kickstarting an openbox project

Well, I would drop both leafpad and abiword =)

Take a look at gedit and cream, both offer more creature comforts then leafpad such as spell checking and syntax highlighting.

abiword to me seems clunky, sort of in between a full featured word processor and light weight application without doing either very well, but I understand it is popular with some.

Cream is cross platform and I use it on both windows (@ work) and linux.

http://cream.sourceforge.net/
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    Well, I would drop both leafpad and abiword =)
    I can see the point for ditching leafpad. I'm going to have to take another look at gedit's dependencies to see how much it brings to the party.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    abiword to me seems clunky, sort of in between a full featured word processor and light weight application without doing either very well, but I understand it is popular with some.
    I definitely want to keep abiword as it has a fabulous file format conversion function that works even from the command line. abiword can transmogrify word processing files similar to what sox does to audio files. I have it installed on my SheevaPlug for just that reason. It may be a clunky word processor but as a preprocessor it does wonders as the successor to wv and antiword.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

As long as you have thought about it, stay with abiword then.

When evaluating cream or gedit, look at functionality first, dependencies second.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

What I'm aiming for is something that is as comfortable to use as Gnome was before Unity. I'm not really shooting for ultra-lightweight, and don't have a problem with using GTK apps.. As far as gmrun goes, I'm sticking with it. everyone is familiar with the alt+f2 key combo giving you a dialog to execute a program. dmenu is just, well, ugly and alien to most people. As for the others... Midori is ugly, but aside from that, I don't have a problem with it, really.

I guess we should outline the goals of this a bit more clearly before we go much further. Ultimately, I'm envisioning something that can be transitioned to from Gnome with a fair amount of ease, so we can pick up all the refugees from Unity.

--Jason

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123