you have grub legacy which mean you have to manually update you grub menu

/boot/grub/menu.lst

remember to back up
    Code:
    cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst.backup
    Code:
    gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    delete windows and your done

If i were you, I would change the mount point in the fstab by uuid. Those sda or hda is meant for the kernel to not confuse itself. They always change, but uuid stay pretty constant. Of course there is the problem with the same uuid
    Last edited by idoitprone; June 20th, 2011 at 06:10 PM.
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans

Re: Hard drives with same UUID's

Confession first - I use Fedora and am looking to change. knowledge is Fedora based. My fstab has references to the drive names (LABEL=PART1_C, PART1_D, SATA1, SATA2). Does Ubuntu support that option in fstab? If so, that might help instead of UUIDs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vhradice View Post
    Confession first - I use Fedora and am looking to change. knowledge is Fedora based. My fstab has references to the drive names (LABEL=PART1_C, PART1_D, SATA1, SATA2). Does Ubuntu support that option in fstab? If so, that might help instead of UUIDs.
    it should be the same.

the op can take a look in the first feild paragraph and use
    Code:
    man fstab
    . If it in the doc. They must also support it
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you have external drives, BIOS may mount them differently. We also have seen BIOS mount external drives as sda before internal and have seen mixed IDE/SATA where BIOS seems to randomly bring them up. It is not really a Ubuntu issue but a BIOS issue. And that is why you need to use UUID or labels. (few use labels but LABEL=label is valid).

You also are seeing the second mount under hd1_ as when you mount in /media or /home it will also show a second mount but it will not work as it is already mounted.

To show labels or UUID:
    ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid
    ls /dev/disk/by-label -lah
    UUID & labels
    sudo blkid

Duplicate mounts of partitions in Nautilus left panel
    use /dev/disk/by-uuid/xxxxx...
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1561929
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

idoitprone - thanks... got rid of the ******* choice!

I switched the fstab file to reference the UUID's, & found a couple of typos in the fstab file! "ntfs-3" instead of "ntfs-3g", etc. etc. Gee, what a difference that made for one of the drives... So, now everything is mounting on boot up.

But, it still persists in doing the external drives sequentially starting with "sdg1" instead of "sdc1"... different logic involved, no doubt, and as long as all is mounting, I'll have to let it be... I gots work to do!! Thanks all...

Beans

Part of the problem is that Ubuntu can mount drives in any of three ways. I suspect you're seeing the first two methods in play:

• By /etc/fstab entry -- Entries in /etc/fstab can mount a drive in a more-or-less permanent way, so that a given drive is always mount at, say, /media/foo. The problem is that "a given drive" depends on a unique way to identify the drive. The /dev/sd?? entries are subject to change for any number of reasons -- even truly random reasons like the order in which the drives are detected by the kernel as each one takes random time to be recognized. That's why most distributions, including Ubuntu, now favor UUID= or LABEL= entries in /etc/fstab. You can mount drives anywhere you like with this method -- in a subdirectory of /media, in a subdirectory of /home, in some made-up location (/pizmet/goom, say), or whatever.
    • By a file manager's automounter -- Nautilus and other file managers will mount drives when you try to access them, if they aren't already mounted. Such mounts get put under /media, named either after the filesystem's name (if it's got one) or a UUID value (if there's no name).
    • By manual mounting -- You can mount partitions using the text-mode "mount" command, as in "mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt". This method is used by old-school power users, but isn't much liked by recent Windows converts. I'm guessing you're not using this method.

As a general rule, for removable disks that you regularly plug in and unplug during a session, you're best off relying on the file manager's automounter. Give the filesystem a descriptive name and it will be mounted at a consistent location based on that name when you plug it in or try to access it. For this to work, you may need to remove or comment out any /etc/fstab entry for the filesystem in question. (Be sure not to remove entries for your main Linux installation, though!)

If the disk is always plugged in, OTOH, IMHO it's better to use /etc/fstab, since it's much more flexible. This method is also preferable if you need access to the disk through something other than a standard GUI login, such as a file server that runs on the computer. (Such a process won't trigger the automounter in a GUI file manager.) The caveat, though, is that since you're seeing drive identifiers change, you can't rely on /dev/sd?? device names to identify your disks; you've got to use UUID= or LABEL= notation.

Incidentally, those /dev/sd?? names are not mount points, as you've referred to them; they're device identifiers. Those files give access to the hardware on a low level. You should be using them (and caring about them) only insofar as you need to reference them in /etc/fstab or use them with disk utilities like mount, mkfs, fdisk, and GParted. In day-to-day use, if everything is set up correctly, it doesn't matter what those device identifiers are.
    If I've suggested a solution to a problem and you're not the original poster, do not try my solution! Problems can seem similar but be different, and a good solution to one problem can make another worse. Post a new thread with your problem details.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thanks for the reply... yes, I'm using the /etc/fstab, as I never unplug the drives. I edit lots of music and videos, so have drives for storage of "stuff" until I can get to it and burn it to DVD/CD's...

OK, I've resigned myself to the fact that the device identifiers are not going to conform to any pattern that ~I~ want As long as they mount, I don't care!! But, in the process of attempting to sort this all out, it seemed like another thing that was acting hinkey, and perhaps needed to be dealt with... Glad to know it's not a concern in the grand scheme of things!!

Thanks again! dk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12