View Poll Results: Thoughts on nuclear power

Voters
310. You may not vote on this poll
  • For it, completely.

87 28.06%
  • I'm for newer plants- older ones should be dismantled.

46 14.84%
  • As long as it keeps us free from coal and oil and the waste is disposed of cleanly.

56 18.06%
  • I oppose construction of new plants.

11 3.55%
  • I think nuclear power should be eliminated.

76 24.52%
  • Other

11 3.55%
  • as long as it's in a geographically safe area

23 7.42%
Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think nuclear power is the way to go?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Do you think nuclear power is the way to go?

Quote Originally Posted by santaslittlehelper View Post
    With the amount of nuclear plants we have today it is evident that most people are pro nuclear or we would not have it.
    Yep. And most people are pro global warming to or we wouldn't have that either

Sorry had to
    The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by santaslittlehelper View Post
    How about a meteorite? Just a smallish one.
    Underground bunker that can withstand a direct nuclear missile?

I'm getting kinda tired of the anti-nuclear argument. It seems most of these responses are either out there or have answers.

/me awaits talk of sleeper agents working there way into nuclear plants and waiting for orders.
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by User3k View Post
    Yep. And most people are pro global warming to or we wouldn't have that either

Sorry had to
    Fair enough. I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    Underground bunker that can withstand a direct nuclear missile?

I'm getting kinda tired of the anti-nuclear argument. It seems most of these responses are either out there or have answers.

/me awaits talk of sleeper agents working there way into nuclear plants and waiting for orders.
    Ahh the good old sleeper agents argument yes I do believe we have hit a dead end.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I live in a small town in Ontario,that has a uranium refinery within a 1/2 mile of downtown. Historically this refinery (Originally called El Dorado but now Cameco) processed the uranium used for the Manhattan project and over the first 25-30 years of its existence buried radioactive waste in dump sites in town, and even on peoples properties and in houses. How is this possible? El Dorado provided fill from radioactive waste for building sites as well as materials that were later tested to be radioactive in the construction of houses. In the 70s the government did a major but partial clean up of the town and there are areas that are fenced off and restricted where waste is still buried. The federal government is right now about to embark on a new cleanup.
    The town is a historic town that prided itself on it's beauty and as a good place to live in. However, with another cleanup, now property prices are dropping and businesses are closing.
    The argument for "not in my backyard" has real meaning for me and many in this community. I am not anti nuclear and I also believe Thorium may present a viable solution to many problems with Nuclear Energy.However, I do believe that Nuclear Power MUST be planned with much greater care than it has in my community and obvious mistakes such as building Nuclear plants near fault lines, and other risky locations must be prevented and corrected .

http://www.ontarioplaques.com/Plaque...berland03.html

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFreak View Post
    I live in a small town in Ontario,that has a uranium refinery within a 1/2 mile of downtown. Historically this refinery (Originally called El Dorado but now Cameco) processed the uranium used for the Manhattan project and over the first 25-30 years of its existence buried radioactive waste in dump sites in town, and even on peoples properties and in houses. How is this possible? El Dorado provided fill from radioactive waste for building sites as well as materials that were later tested to be radioactive in the construction of houses. In the 70s the government did a major but partial clean up of the town and there are areas that are fenced off and restricted where waste is still buried. The federal government is right now about to embark on a new cleanup.
    The town is a historic town that prided itself on it's beauty and as a good place to live in. However, with another cleanup, now property prices are dropping and businesses are closing.
    The argument for "not in my backyard" has real meaning for me and many in this community. I am not anti nuclear and I also believe Thorium may present a viable solution to many problems with Nuclear Energy.However, I do believe that Nuclear Power MUST be planned with much greater care than it has in my community and obvious mistakes such as building Nuclear plants near fault lines, and other risky locations must be prevented and corrected .

http://www.ontarioplaques.com/Plaque...berland03.html
    I think we can all agree that we know a lot more about nuclear science than we did in the 1930's and 1940's.

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    I think we can all agree that we know a lot more about nuclear science than we did in the 1930's and 1940's.
    Dumping of radioactive material in my town went on past the 60's.
    What is your direct knowledge of the nuclear industry? Are you a nuclear worker? A resident close to a facility?
    You seem to make a lot of presumptions about what "we know" and lambaste anyone with a dissenting view

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFreak View Post
    Code:
    Dumping of radioactive material in my town went on past the 60's.
    What is your direct knowledge of the nuclear industry? Are you a nuclear worker? A resident close to a facility?
    You seem to make a lot of presumptions about what "we know" and lambaste anyone with a dissenting view
    Ok, you need to chill out.

1) If you can't agree that we (Mankind) know more about Nuclear science than we did 50 years ago, then you aren't paying attention.

2) I wasn't lambasting you, I was merely pointing out that 50 years ago we (mankind) didn't know what we know now.

3) Your point was "I do believe that Nuclear Power MUST be planned with much greater care than it has in my community", which I wasn't even disagreeing with.

I have no direct knowledge of the nuclear industry, I am not a nuclear worker, and I am not a resident close to a facility. What I do know though is you need to chill out, as I was agreeing with you. Nuclear plants need to be better planned out in terms of location and waste disposal. <snip>
    Last edited by cariboo; June 20th, 2011 at 05:16 AM. Reason: removed insult

Beans
    Distro

post in error
    Last edited by SuperFreak; June 20th, 2011 at 11:55 AM.

Beans

@ tgm4883 and SuperFreak calm down and take it elsewhere.

" Any topic or discussion that causes problems or drama will be closed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments. Please take those elsewhere. Thanks!"
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    @ tgm4883 and SuperFreak calm down and take it elsewhere.

" Any topic or discussion that causes problems or drama will be closed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments. Please take those elsewhere. Thanks!"
    I'm completely calm.

Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast