Thread: Unity - Dash - Favorites - Settings

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Unity - Dash - Favorites - Settings

hi all,

sorry for a double-post, but the other thread I posted to doesn't seem to be getting a lot of attention.

i just upgraded yesterday to Natty and am experiencing some issues with settings not being saved: my favorites and the items in my dash reset to the defaults upon logout.

another thing: i'm not sure what the "about me" app is about, but it also doesn't preserve information. as soon as i close it, the information i've entered is gone.

i know nothing about Unity, but it seems that something somewhere is lacking the correct permissions to write these changes.

anyone else?

thanks for your help,

cheers

\s

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Unity - Dash - Favorites - Settings

When you open dash , select more apps and your most used applications will appear there . You get a larger list by selecting more results.

I don't use about me , I think it is there in-case you need the information stored there quickly .
    “ Diversity: The art of thinking independently together ”

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro

well thanks, but that doesn't really address my question which was why the apps i add to the dash (using the "keep in dash" checkbox) don't stay in the dash. the "about me" was just a corollary as it has the same non-preserving behavior even though it is a completely unrelated service.

Beans

I just installed 11.04 with Unity DE. I downloaded and installed Skype and selected the option to to add to Dash . Skype appeared there. I rebooted and Skype was still on Dash.
    It is possible that doing an Upgrade install of Ubuntu may not have given you a good install of Unity. I downloaded the ISO and burned a CD and made a clean install.
    Cheers. Ray

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by scacinto View Post
    well thanks, but that doesn't really address my question which was why the apps i add to the dash (using the "keep in dash" checkbox) don't stay in the dash. the "about me" was just a corollary as it has the same non-preserving behavior even though it is a completely unrelated service.

Did you mean keep in launcher ? if so there are some other threads on that subject .I have not experienced any problems with that and don't know what causes it .
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; June 11th, 2011 at 02:10 AM.

Beans

I have what I think is the same problem as the original poster: changes made to programs showing in Launcher are gone after logout. Installed 11.04 as fresh install, fully updated, uninstalled a few things, installed a few other things. Have not directly edited any configuration files. If I find a solution, I'll post.
    Last edited by Mfmaricle; June 10th, 2011 at 11:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro

If you would like to reset unity and the icons try this .
    Code:
    unity --reset
    Code:
    unity --reset-icons

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Did you mean keep in launcher ? if so there are some other threads on that subject .I have not experienced any problems with that and don't know what causes it .
    quite right! i had my jargon confused. at any rate, the problem has auto-magically fixed itself. after the 3rd day of use, the Launcher kept the changes made to it.

some other changes are still not being remembered, such as those in the "about me" app, but I could really care less about that. still, i'll research a little more and see if it can be resolved.

thanks,

\s