Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the Automatix effort should be focused on BUMPS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Why the Automatix effort should be focused on BUMPS.

Quote Originally Posted by brodock
    maybe a poll can do a better job...
    like:

What you people want?
    - Automatix, EasyUbuntu and Bump : Cause we want to choose the one we like more
    - Just one of the is enogh, it's about usability.

the point of the topic is a try to turn bump easyubuntu and automatix in one thing only... like everybody supporting one of then instead of dividing efforts to do exactly the same thing (3 times).
    I won't make this a poll because I don't want people to be gridlocked into choices. I'd rather have a civil discussion about the best course of action rather than pigeon-holing the subject at hand.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by endersshadow
    It currently only runs on Breezy, to the best of my knowledge.
    I searched around a bit and it seems to me it runs on dapper:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=165724
    http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/get.html
    This release support Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu, Breezy/Dapper, x86/powerpc/amd64!
    Disclaimer: I haven't tried it, so I can't comment on how good it actually runs on dapper.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by helpme
    I searched around a bit and it seems to me it runs on dapper:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=165724
    http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/get.html

Disclaimer: I haven't tried it, so I can't comment on how good it actually runs on dapper.
    Great, I'm glad they've ported it.

My point that the community call for development of Automatix would be better served building on top of BUMPS rather than writing an automation script from the ground up still stands, though.

manicka Guest

It seems to me that Automatix just needs some willing bodies to update the scripts and modify it for Dapper. That would certainly be achieveable in the next 15 days.

Ultimately it would be nice if we could bring all 3 efforts together as one, but considering the history of two of them that is hardly likely to happen. In the long run I can't see to many problems with all 3 projects existing. After all, Linux is all about choice in the long run.

manicka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by endersshadow
    My point that the community call for development of Automatix would be better served building on top of BUMPS rather than writing an automation script from the ground up still stands, though.
    I think you'll find that technically this point is incorrect. Automatix for Dapper would not be a rewrite from scratch/the ground up, rather just a modification/update of the existing code.

Perhaps Arnie could clarify

Beans
    Hidden!

Why, after all the fuss about Automatix, does BUMPS use '--force-yes' ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by manicka
    It seems to me that Automatix just needs some willing bodies to update the scripts and modify it for Dapper. That would certainly be achieveable in the next 15 days.

Ultimately it would be nice if we could bring all 3 efforts together as one, but considering the history of two of them that is hardly likely to happen. In the long run I can't see to many problems with all 3 projects existing. After all, Linux is all about choice in the long run.
    My point is that it wouldn't be as thoroughly tested as BUMPS is currently, which could potentially spawn a plethora of support requests due to buggy coding simply due to a lack of time.

You're right: 3 projects wouldn't be a bad thing in the long run, and that's not what I'm advocating. Linux is about choice. All I'm saying is that we have 15 days to put forth an excellent automation program, and that we should have a discussion about which avenue would best fit this need, and that's what this thread set out to be: My opinion about which avenue we, as a community, should take, and I've already made my point in this arena. If Automatix gets off the ground in 15 days and is a solid program, then hats off to it. I have nothing against the program. My concern is just that the porting of that to Dapper is time used inefficiently when time is definitely a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by manicka
    I think you'll find that technically this point is incorrect. Automatix for Dapper would not be a rewrite from scratch/the ground up, rather just a modification/update of the existing code.

Perhaps Arnie could clarify
    I've clarified what would need to be done in Automatix for it to be ported to Dapper before in this thread. It would need to do all the bug testing of the installation of the new packages--testing that BUMPS has done and been successful at.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by kabus
    Why, after all the fuss about Automatix, does BUMPS use '--force-yes' ?
    This is a question to be asked in this thread, and not here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I'm not really into programming, so please correct me if this is not correct:

BUMPS is a command line-based script for installing multimedia functionality in Ubuntu.

Automatix is a graphical program both customized for Gnome and KDE that let's the user install multimedia functionality as well as browsers, programs and other things. 44 things in total.

To me, they seem very different. Would your "plan" involve BUMPS reaching a level of functionality anywhere near that of Automatix?
    We should have UbuntuEvolve for official artwork!
    The easy way to nVIDIA drivers and Xgl/Compiz: Automatix and Automatix Bleeder

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias-K
    I'm not really into programming, so please correct me if this is not correct:

BUMPS is a command line-based script for installing multimedia functionality in Ubuntu.

Automatix is a graphical program both customized for Gnome and KDE that let's the user install multimedia functionality as well as browsers, programs and other things. 44 things in total.

To me, they seem very different. Would your "plan" involve BUMPS reaching a level of functionality anywhere near that of Automatix?
    BUMPS is a graphical interface.

And I don't have a plan...all I'm asking is where community effort is best spent preparing these for Dapper.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast