Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cant drag programs to unity bar

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: Cant drag programs to unity bar

Quote Originally Posted by gogogo111 View Post
    That didn't seem to work either. Maybe I did something wrong but I shouldn't have to boot to classic mode to drag something to a menu. -_- Why is this even a problem? What exactly is Unity doing to not accept me dragging the program to the bar? Any way I can file a bug report?

You actually don't have to log in to the Classical Desktop. The logic is to drag the .desktop file to the Unity bar. It is just easy to get hold of the desktop file by dragging it from the panel launcher in the Classic Desktop.

You can also do it in Unity as follows:

The .desktop file is probably in /usr/share/applications (or /usr/local/share/applications) but you can't drag and drop it because of permission issue.

so you need to create a local version and make it executable by non root user.

Code:
    sudo cp /usr/share/applications/xxx.desktop  ~/.local/share/applications/xxx.desktop

sudo chown username  ~/.local/share/applications/xxx.desktop
    Then you can open ~/.local/share/applications and drag the xxx.desktop file to the Unity bar and see if it works.

~/.local is a hidden file, you access it go to /home/username and in View click "Show Hidden Files"

I agree, this is buggy and launchers don't behave consistently.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Being a real newbie myself the unity launcer bar is one of the things I've found most difficult.

First, dragging an app doesn't work for me....if I create a launcher on the desktop I CAN drag and drop it onto the launcher.

Second, I can only lock or get Keep in Launcher to work on a program that is currently open. Another option is when you install something using Software Center it should give you the option to add it to launcher. Do that then if you DON'T want it later it is easier to REMOVE it than try to ADD it later.

Third, there are some shortcuts that are automatically installed with apps that just don't work. I can't remember which app it was, but I did a quick search on one earlier this week and found that was the case. If you go into Terminal and enter the command the app runs fine but the default launcher does nothing in unity.

I AM running in x64 on one machine and x32 on another. Issues seem to be consistent on both (although other issues aren't).

My solution for Unity bar issues has been to install Panel (Gnome Panel) and use it for an additional shortcut or indicator bar. I've found the Unity bars hard to adjust to and not very user-accommodating. So as I learn the tricks and such I have a panel with the missing launchers and additional indicators to help with the transition. Panel can be opened and closed as needed and location/coloring, etc can be adjusted to your preferences. It can auto hide, or not. Of course Unity launcher can be set to autohide, stay hidden or stay visible.

No actual solutions to your issue, but some other tips from a newbie that might help with this or other issues. hope i didn't waste your time!

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12