Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cant drag programs to unity bar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Cant drag programs to unity bar

Hey guys. I'm absolutely in love with 11.04 so far. I'm a Windows 7 convert and I love banshee, how clutterfree the interface is in a program and everything is absolutely sweet.

However there is one thing I can't seem to get working. I cannot drag applications to the unity bar. I've looked up videos online and people seem to just click + drag the app to the bar and the programs move out of the way for the new one to be dropped...but when I do that my whole unity bar just turns transparent and doesn't allow me to drop the app on the bar.

Also, "Keep in launcher" doesn't work.

Any help?
    Go Linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Cant drag programs to unity bar

Quote Originally Posted by gogogo111 View Post
    Hey guys. I'm absolutely in love with 11.04 so far. I'm a Windows 7 convert and I love banshee, how clutterfree the interface is in a program and everything is absolutely sweet.

However there is one thing I can't seem to get working. I cannot drag applications to the unity bar. I've looked up videos online and people seem to just click + drag the app to the bar and the programs move out of the way for the new one to be dropped...but when I do that my whole unity bar just turns transparent and doesn't allow me to drop the app on the bar.

Also, "Keep in launcher" doesn't work.

Any help?
    Hi, open the application you want in there and go to the icon in the launcher and right click on it and click keep in launcher. Also you can look at the guides in my signature for some great tips for natty.

beew is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    Hi, open the application you want in there and go to the icon in the launcher and right click on it and click keep in launcher. Also you can look at the guides in my signature for some great tips for natty.
    Actually some launchers don't work if you just right click and keep in launcher bar (MIro, e.g, click the launcher thus created it just flashes and nothing happens) You have to drag it from the dash and place it there. If that doesn't work, reboot sometimes may solve the problem.

This thing is really buggy man.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah I've the same problem with Potato Guy (a game for the kids....honest!). I'll need to try the right click keep in launcher though.
    Dell Inspiron 1501 AMD Sempron, 4GB RAM, 120GB HDD, running 14.04 64Bit
    Dell Latitude D830 Centrino duo 4GB RAM 320GB HDD, running 13.10 64Bit
    Raspberry Pi running Rasbian
    Ubuntu User #32384

Beans
    Distro

As I said in the original post...Right click > Keep in Launcher doesn't work. Anyone else have any other solutions?
    Go Linux!

Beans

As I said in the original post...Right click > Keep in Launcher doesn't work. Anyone else have any other solutions?
    You may want to try Gone Fishing's method.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1760545

Beans
    Distro

That didn't seem to work either. Maybe I did something wrong but I shouldn't have to boot to classic mode to drag something to a menu. -_- Why is this even a problem? What exactly is Unity doing to not accept me dragging the program to the bar? Any way I can file a bug report?

Go Linux!

Beans
    Distro

That didn't seem to work either. Maybe I did something wrong but I shouldn't have to boot to classic mode to drag something to a menu. -_- Why is this even a problem? What exactly is Unity doing to not accept me dragging the program to the bar? Any way I can file a bug report?

Hi, unity does not allow dragging to the launcher, if you look at my previous post that is how you make it stay in the launcher, but there are some that have to be done another way as listed in the other post just take another look at them please, one of those two should work unless you are having a malfunction with natty.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    Hi, unity does not allow dragging to the launcher, if you look at my previous post that is how you make it stay in the launcher, but there are some that have to be done another way as listed in the other post just take another look at them please, one of those two should work unless you are having a malfunction with natty.
    It does allow it. Actually if you make a launcher by opening the application and make it stay the launcher may not work correctly for some applications. Example, gnome-mplayer, if you create a launcher that way you cannot restore the running instance of gnome-mplayer which has been minimized, clicking the launcher will open a new instance while the old instance still running hidden somehwere. Dragging the launcher from the dash in the launcher solved the problem for me.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    It does allow it. Actually if you make a launcher by opening the application and make it stay the launcher may not work correctly for some applications. Example, gnome-mplayer, if you create a launcher that way you cannot restore the running instance of gnome-mplayer which has been minimized, clicking the launcher will open a new instance while the old instance still running hidden somehwere. Dragging the launcher from the dash in the launcher solved the problem for me.
    Hi, yes I was referring to your post #3 when I told the person that the other post had another way of doing it, when I said it did not allow it I was talking about from the desktop,not from dash sorry for the confusion. I know that for a lot of the apps you can just open the app and then right click on the icon in the launcher and put a check next to keep in launcher. In my signature called power users guide for natty tells how to make icons for the launcher.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast