Thread: Alienware Area 51 ALX/Aurora ALX running Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Alienware Area 51 ALX/Aurora ALX running Linux

I've seen the newer Alienware rigs that have those colour changing lights and user/temp controlled fans and the opening spine of fins to exhaust the hot air. I like how these look and run, but I've not been able to find out if these machines can run on linux (Ubuntu, Zorin, Debian, etc) without losing the ability to use these features as one would have access to in Windows.
    I'm mostly curious as well since these are Dell machines and since Dell does sell some of their computers preloaded with ubuntu, that if they might have the drivers and controlls for these in linux form as well. Yes the lights and fins are gimmicky but I kind of like'em.
    Acer Aspire 5336-2524
    Intel Celeron 900 @ 2.20 GHz - Intel GMA 4500M - 3GB DDR3 - 250GB HDD
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit - Ubuntu Linux 10.04 LTS 64 bit

Beans

Re: Alienware Area 51 ALX/Aurora ALX running Linux

A friend of mine has an Alienware Aurora (one of these I think), although it's all liquid cooled, and I didn't notice the lights changing colors, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen, lol.

I threw 11.04 on there just to test it out, and everything seemed to work fine, except for it came with dual ATI video cards (either 6750 or 6770) which didn't work very well with the drivers from 'Additional Drivers' and I didn't feel like messing with that much to see if I could get better performance out of it.

As for the machine itself, I was actually somewhat let down by it. It took a while to boot up, and didn't perform nearly as well as I expected for common tasks (web browsing, e-mail, etc etc). Now, I loaded Blender on it, and the render times were great, but as far as normal operation my old XPS420 feels much snappier. It could be the difference between the dual ATI's and my single GTX460, but it felt sluggish both in Ubuntu and Windows.

Oh, and the water pump on the cooling system ... is LOUD.
    Any advice given is the direct result of my experience solving my problems on my system. I have no idea what I'm talking about. ~bouge

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

thanks for the info. yeah I have seen stuff on youtube about them and it does seem like it takes a while to boot on windows, figured that was due to alot of stuff having to be loaded up on the system. mainly I like the case design and I'm still toying with the idea of maybe getting one in the far future if/when i could afford something like that, though if a really awesome case shows up on the market I may just go for that instead and do a cheaper build.
    Acer Aspire 5336-2524

Beans

Windows and Ubuntu both took a while to boot up, and they were both pretty fresh installations, so I don't really know what's up. The BIOS took a while to get through as well. I can't help but assume it has something to do with fan/pump/light controls.
    Any advice given is the direct result of my experience solving my problems on my system. I have no idea what I'm talking about. ~bouge

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm surprised that with such 'high'specs that you can get with them that windows or ubuntu that the system would boot faster, even with the controls for the fans/lights if that is the case. such a shame, but I suppose that will save me some $$$ as I think I'll build something else that won't be as big of a bain or a letdown as the alienware. thank you for the info as I really do appreciate it and now I know more about it
    Acer Aspire 5336-2524

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'll just keep an ear to the ground and if/when the time comes I might give one a shake-down run
    Acer Aspire 5336-2524