Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's with all the unecessary quoting of previous post???

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

What's with all the unecessary quoting of previous post???

Hi all,

I am disturbed by this trend. Why, oh, why do people find it necessary to quote the post immediately before theirs??? I have seen a lengthy post #1 quoted in the second post in full for absolutely no reason. The second poster was not trying to address a particular point of the OP. Just a quote for the heck of it.

What is more frustrating about this practice is that often a lengthy post is quoted in full and the second poster then asks a ten word question or gives a short command line instruction that would have been just dandy without the quote. Doesn't need the quote for support. The quote has no purpose to clarify the reply whatever.

This practice is a waste of space and time and I really wish people would quit doing it before the trend really takes off. If you're going to quote another user, just quote the bit(s) of their post that you are addressing in your post. We know what the original OP is on about, there is absolutely no point in a full quote of what they just posted (especially when it is a thousand words). Why repeat what they just wrote?

If this trend takes off there would be four posts a page. We know what you're on about, know what the OP is on about. If there's any confusion we'll let you know.

My rant for the day, thanks for your time ... now stop it! Quote only if there is a reason and/or purpose, for clarity and/or focus. Don't give new forum members the idea that this is good practice and 'rule of thumb'.

THINK BEFORE QUOTING, HAVE A REASON FOR QUOTING, DON'T JUST DO IT FOR THE SAKE OF IT.

Maybe I should start one of those kooky, amusing threads - Quote the user before you - to satisfy the craving! Now, that is the best idea I've had today. Obviously a slow day ...
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 9th, 2011 at 06:04 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What's with all the unecessary quoting of previous post???

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Hi all,

I am disturbed by this trend. Why, oh, why do people find it necessary to quote the post immediately before theirs??? I have seen a lengthy post #1 quoted in the second post in full for absolutely no reason. Not trying to address a particular point of the OP. Just a quote for the heck of it.

This practice is a waste of space and time and I really wish people would quit doing it before the trend really takes off. If you're going to quote another user, just quote the bit that's relevant to your post. We know what the original OP is on about, there is absolutely no point in a full quote of what they just posted. Why have it twice? If everyone did it there would be four posts a page.

My rant for the day, thanks for your time ... now stop it!
    every body is allowed to rant

and if it is a popular thread, then one might want to be specific about who they are talking to
    Last edited by mmsmc; June 9th, 2011 at 05:55 AM.
    If at first you don't succeed, try until you bleed

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmc View Post
    every body is allowed to rant

and if it is a popular thread, then one might want to be specific about who they are talking to
    Yeah, OP, I honestly doubt it will ever catch on, don't worry about it.
    Life is an extraordinarily long concatenation of luck and coincidence.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Thewhistlingwind View Post
    Yeah, OP, I honestly doubt it will ever catch on, don't worry about it.

oops
    Last edited by mmsmc; June 9th, 2011 at 06:01 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

oops
    Let's turn this into the 'Quote the User Before You' thread I was talking about. LOL. No, don't I am going to start one. I'll post the link back here.

My quote above serves no purpose.

... one might want to be specific about who they are talking to
    My point exactly! You can do that by extracting the bit you are talking about rather than quoting the whole post. Or simply by addressing your post to the user you are referring to.

My second quote served a purpose. I wanted to address something specific in your post.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

cool, i agree to though, the quotes are quite long and get on my nerves. but I personally think that this trend wont last very long

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I generally quote a snippet of a particular post I'm responding to, even if it's the last one in the thread, just in case someone else posts in between the point at which I start typing and the point at which I post. Otherwise, quick responses might not make clear enough reference to the posts they're meant in response to.

I also break up big posts and respond to each sentence as if it existed in its own private universe, to irritate el_koraco.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I hear what you are saying, and it has merit. as a result, it will never fly. ever.
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    You can do that by extracting the bit you are talking about rather than quoting the whole post.
    While I usually do this, I have noticed that some people get offended if you modify their post even in a quote. Also, some people want to clarify what and who they are responding to while respecting the integrity of the quoted poster's entire text.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thumbs down Quote the post above you ...

Hi all,

A disturbing trend has come to my attention: users quoting the post above them for no apparent reason when responding to an OP.

The end result is a post of the previous (often lengthy) post, often with the only input from the poster being, 'What video card are you using,' or, 'SATA or IDE?'. These are the only things not included in the original post so why would you quote it? Simpler would be 'USERXYZ, what video card are you using?' if you really want to make sure the right person is seeing your response.

For my full rant on this see here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1778388

So, to drive my point home, and for the satisfaction of those who can't resist quoting the post above them for no purpose, I have posted this thread.

This practice must cease! And you can quote me on that. Go right ahead.

EDIT: THERE IS A PROVISO! I stipulate that your response to the quote of the post above you must have nothing to do with the quote.

PS: NO multi-quotes. You must only quote the post above you and provide a response to which the quote has no relevance to.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 9th, 2011 at 07:09 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast