Thread: Mythtv Themes frustrations

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Mythtv Themes frustrations

I love mythtv, but I have become frustrated with the themes. I thought there was meant to be an improved API for themes.

Are there any new good themes that fully utilise the space, and provide a logical UI?
    As I am still using mythcenter-wide theme(Mythbuntu 10.10), the new ones which came with the so called improved API for themes are awful.

There are images below of screenshots explaining the issues.

Graphite uses space inefficiently.

The grid UI is illogical if I am going across the row by pressing the ->, when I am at end of the row it should jump to the below row, but it jumps to menu row at the top.

Arclight, has a huge pixelated blur occupying more than half the screen.It also wastes space, rather than using it to show more recordings.

So if you know of a better theme please post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Mythtv Themes frustrations

Agree with graphite.

With Arclight however, all the "empty" space as you call it has its use and if you had fanart information properly working, you would see the fanart of that particular show for the recordings

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

with fanart do you have to set it up all the programs you watch. Is there anyway to have one image for all?

Beans

yes you can change the default arclight background image(s).

But mainly they are taken up by fanart etc.

My fanart for recordings etc didn't work for ages with the jamu log giving a load of errors. Suddenly it started working, probably after some upgrade (I am on 0.24-fixes, which is the only way to go. If you are using an earlier version, don't really expect support).

Beans

Heres a screenshot example
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I agree with all your points. However, I found Blue Abstract to be okay in the downloadable themes in 0.24. Sometimes, less is more. The fan art while can be a fun touch and may have its place, we find it is busy and makes the text too hard to read across the room.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcg30506 View Post
    I agree with all your points. However, I found Blue Abstract to be okay in the downloadable themes in 0.24.
    +1 for Blue Abstract (though I am not a huge fan of the background image, it's a minor quibble). For years, I have liked "this theme's guide" and "that theme's OSD" and "this theme's use of fan art" and so on. Blue Abstract managed to make a nice everything and all in the same theme.

I actually don't mind Arclight, but the font is just so darn small.

As a general rule, I am not a fan of the horizontal themes at all. They just don't flow right for me, and I think the nature of them being horizontal makes them inherently waste space.

Themes themselves aside, I wish Myth made better use of eye candy. The overall UI just seems so static and blah. I have no intention or desire to ever go to Media Center, but I will say their interface is stunning.

Beans

I know that I am biased, but what do you think about A-Forest?

I started developing that theme just for the same complaints/objections....

I didn't realized all my ideas and maybe it's not a fully satisfaction theme yet....few time, we are only two on developing it, but it's just for fun!!

If you gave a look and if ever you like it, you can write your opinion/requests and i will make corrections consequently.

The trunk version isn't up to date yet, because all new features (they cause some errors in few pages..).... but the 0.24-fixes version is ok.

you can find it on http://code.google.com/p/a-forest/
    or you can use the Theme-Chooser (but it's not up to date....)

Bye,
    Federico
    Last edited by freddy42; September 5th, 2011 at 04:13 PM.