Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to restore root.disk file ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: how to restore root.disk file ?

ankur.trapasiya,
    I am glad you managed to recover the data you wanted. But, I am confused about your current situation. You say you installed another Wubi but it is not apparent from the results of the script you posted.

Is this new Wubi install on another computer or another drive which wasn't plugged in when you ran the script?

And you also keep switching between talking about Ubuntu and Wubi installs. For the sake of clarity, please tell us whether you have a new install inside Windows (Wubi) or on a separate partition/drive which was installed in the normal way (Ubuntu).

I want to be clear here; yes Wubi is a Windows installer for Ubuntu, but I am having trouble understanding what you mean and this is partly because the script results do not show either type of install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

hello i have installed another wubi install inside the windows..... now will it work if i replace all the recovered system folders with the currently installed ubuntu ??? e.g. replacing recovered usr,etc, ...... folders with newly installed usr,etc... .
    Thanks & Regards
    Ankur M Trapasiya

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I would not advise replacing system folders from an old install. I think I understand that you are trying to recover previously installed applications, but this is not something I would risk trying. The potential for a mis-match between what is in /var, /usr and /etc is simply too great, and by copying everything you simply end up with your old installation, with whatever problems there might have been in it.

If you are trying to save bandwidth by avoiding downloading applications again, have a look in your /var/cache/apt/archives folder in the old root.disk. So long as you hadn't run apt-get clean, all the downloaded .deb packages will still be there. Simply copy them to /var/cache/apt/archives in your new installation. Then, when you install an application in your new system, if the appropriate deb package(s) is/are there, the system won't download again but simply install from the cached package(s).
    Ubuntu 15.10 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ankur.trapasiya,
    it would be inadvisable to try and selectively copy files or directories over to a new install.

If you have the original root.disk backed up, you can probably use it on the new machine by installing Wubi and then copying (replacing) that root.disk with the one you previously saved.

This may require some modifications to the grub files, but we can walk you through that if needs be.

However, it is also not a good idea to do this if the root.disk you saved contains configurations for a proprietary graphics driver that is not present on the new machine where you want to install it.

Of course, if we are talking about the same card, then it should theoretically work I believe.

Let us know if you need more help with this.

(thanks to bcbc for providing the extra information)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12