Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need to know how to think

Beans

Unhappy need to know how to think

i am a windowws guy 25 years... first time ubuntu user just checking out seamed to install fine
    i tried to download flash.. insted of downloading its asking me for an application? I dont understand what im to do... what should i know already? what application ftp? i see no offered list ? how much bitch is thius to completely install i dont have time im 55. every time i want to do something will it ask me to know something i dont know? i just wanted to download a file from adobe their link what dont i understand about this ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: need to know how to think

Quote Originally Posted by msuser View Post
    i am a windowws guy 25 years... first time ubuntu user just checking out seamed to install fine
    i tried to download flash.. insted of downloading its asking me for an application? I dont understand what im to do... what should i know already? what application ftp? i see no offered list ? how much bitch is thius to completely install i dont have time im 55. every time i want to do something will it ask me to know something i dont know? i just wanted to download a file from adobe their link what dont i understand about this ubuntu

did you add the restriced formats?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In Ubuntu you should only get things from the package manager (not web sites) ,also be sure Firefox is closed when you install Flash.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You're asking the right question.

You have to stop thinking like a windows user.

99.9% of the time you do not have to download stuff from a web page.

Use the software center

Open it up and install the flash plugin from there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I don't know if installing the ubuntu-restricted-extras will solve the problem, but it will definitely be handy in the future anyway.
    You can do this by opening Synaptic Package Manager and typing ubuntu-restricted-extras and installing it, or by typing in the terminal:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    Press Enter, type your password and press Enter again.

Cheers

Beans

thank you for quick reply ... igue3ss you hit on what i am missing retricted formats?? what is that im real new here.. i believe i was trying to download flask a exe file to install on ubuntu... through the link supplied from adobe web site. I am use to things just downloading and asking where i should put it like desktop... i dont see anything that will show me things like c:\ d:\ drives etc... things seem removed from user... where is command line etc things i need to know to fully configure this op sys, they all do the same services just how do i need to think. the term restricted formats ???? to down load a binary file... come on what app is missing andhow am i to know its name? there has to be a common theme here to do things.

Beans

so i did get an error it should have not asked me for an app.???.. that is how new i am i did not know that is an error... so ubuntu should just do as win dose just download it correct? to be asked for an app = error ???

Beans
    Distro

thank you for quick reply ... igue3ss you hit on what i am missing retricted formats?? what is that im real new here.. i believe i was trying to download flask a exe file to install on ubuntu... through the link supplied from adobe web site. I am use to things just downloading and asking where i should put it like desktop... i dont see anything that will show me things like c:\ d:\ drives etc... things seem removed from user... where is command line etc things i need to know to fully configure this op sys, they all do the same services just how do i need to think. the term restricted formats ???? to down load a binary file... come on what app is missing andhow am i to know its name? there has to be a common theme here to do things.
    The truth is we are guessing that restricted formats is the missing link for that one particular issue.

It is a step change from windows. You dont generally install software via a weblink. As the previous poster suggested, 99% of the time you install it using the package manager from ubuntu. If that seems like a disadvantage think of all the cluter and crap that ends up on windows... pop ups with updates to everything. With ubuntu YOU control what hits your harddrive. That is no bad thing IMHO

Bear with it, it DOES need learning. It DOES need time to adjust from windows but it really is worth it.

Beans
    Distro

so i did get an error it should have not asked me for an app.???.. that is how new i am i did not know that is an error... so ubuntu should just do as win dose just download it correct? to be asked for an app = error ???
    im stuggling to understand whats happening. Hit the print scrn button and show us some screenshots? might clarify

Beans
    Hidden!

If you insist on installing things from the web, look for files with the .deb extension, not the .exe one. Adobe will even let you look for the flash plugin for Ubuntu.

There's no c: and d: drive. The filesystem is different in Linux.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast