Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: need to know how to think

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Beans
    5

    Unhappy need to know how to think

    i am a windowws guy 25 years... first time ubuntu user just checking out seamed to install fine
    i tried to download flash.. insted of downloading its asking me for an application? I dont understand what im to do... what should i know already? what application ftp? i see no offered list ? how much bitch is thius to completely install i dont have time im 55. every time i want to do something will it ask me to know something i dont know? i just wanted to download a file from adobe their link what dont i understand about this ubuntu

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Beans
    256
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: need to know how to think

    Quote Originally Posted by msuser View Post
    i am a windowws guy 25 years... first time ubuntu user just checking out seamed to install fine
    i tried to download flash.. insted of downloading its asking me for an application? I dont understand what im to do... what should i know already? what application ftp? i see no offered list ? how much bitch is thius to completely install i dont have time im 55. every time i want to do something will it ask me to know something i dont know? i just wanted to download a file from adobe their link what dont i understand about this ubuntu

    did you add the restriced formats?

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lake Placid, Florida, USA
    Beans
    1,998
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: need to know how to think

    In Ubuntu you should only get things from the package manager (not web sites) ,also be sure Firefox is closed when you install Flash.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Beans
    13,657
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: need to know how to think

    You're asking the right question.

    You have to stop thinking like a windows user.

    99.9% of the time you do not have to download stuff from a web page.

    Use the software center

    Open it up and install the flash plugin from there.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Beans
    122
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: need to know how to think

    I don't know if installing the ubuntu-restricted-extras will solve the problem, but it will definitely be handy in the future anyway.
    You can do this by opening Synaptic Package Manager and typing ubuntu-restricted-extras and installing it, or by typing in the terminal:

    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    Press Enter, type your password and press Enter again.

    Cheers


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Beans
    5

    Re: need to know how to think

    thank you for quick reply ... igue3ss you hit on what i am missing retricted formats?? what is that im real new here.. i believe i was trying to download flask a exe file to install on ubuntu... through the link supplied from adobe web site. I am use to things just downloading and asking where i should put it like desktop... i dont see anything that will show me things like c:\ d:\ drives etc... things seem removed from user... where is command line etc things i need to know to fully configure this op sys, they all do the same services just how do i need to think. the term restricted formats ???? to down load a binary file... come on what app is missing andhow am i to know its name? there has to be a common theme here to do things.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Beans
    5

    Re: need to know how to think

    so i did get an error it should have not asked me for an app.???.. that is how new i am i did not know that is an error... so ubuntu should just do as win dose just download it correct? to be asked for an app = error ???

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Beans
    256
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: need to know how to think

    Quote Originally Posted by msuser View Post
    thank you for quick reply ... igue3ss you hit on what i am missing retricted formats?? what is that im real new here.. i believe i was trying to download flask a exe file to install on ubuntu... through the link supplied from adobe web site. I am use to things just downloading and asking where i should put it like desktop... i dont see anything that will show me things like c:\ d:\ drives etc... things seem removed from user... where is command line etc things i need to know to fully configure this op sys, they all do the same services just how do i need to think. the term restricted formats ???? to down load a binary file... come on what app is missing andhow am i to know its name? there has to be a common theme here to do things.
    The truth is we are guessing that restricted formats is the missing link for that one particular issue.

    It is a step change from windows. You dont generally install software via a weblink. As the previous poster suggested, 99% of the time you install it using the package manager from ubuntu. If that seems like a disadvantage think of all the cluter and crap that ends up on windows... pop ups with updates to everything. With ubuntu YOU control what hits your harddrive. That is no bad thing IMHO

    Bear with it, it DOES need learning. It DOES need time to adjust from windows but it really is worth it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Beans
    256
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: need to know how to think

    Quote Originally Posted by msuser View Post
    so i did get an error it should have not asked me for an app.???.. that is how new i am i did not know that is an error... so ubuntu should just do as win dose just download it correct? to be asked for an app = error ???
    im stuggling to understand whats happening. Hit the print scrn button and show us some screenshots? might clarify

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: need to know how to think

    Quote Originally Posted by msuser View Post
    thank you for quick reply ... igue3ss you hit on what i am missing retricted formats?? what is that im real new here.. i believe i was trying to download flask a exe file to install on ubuntu... through the link supplied from adobe web site. I am use to things just downloading and asking where i should put it like desktop... i dont see anything that will show me things like c:\ d:\ drives etc... things seem removed from user... where is command line etc things i need to know to fully configure this op sys, they all do the same services just how do i need to think. the term restricted formats ???? to down load a binary file... come on what app is missing andhow am i to know its name? there has to be a common theme here to do things.
    If you insist on installing things from the web, look for files with the .deb extension, not the .exe one. Adobe will even let you look for the flash plugin for Ubuntu.

    There's no c: and d: drive. The filesystem is different in Linux.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •